Non-Destructive (As possible) Catalyst rework

Conncept.7638

The Catalyst's Problems

The Catalyst Rework

As I organized my thoughts about Catalyst over the beta week, they wound up growing less into a post and more into a full on document, so I cleaned those notes up and made a workup on how I would fix the laundry list of issues.

Unlike most of the reworks on this forum, this one is trying to be as non-destructive as possible, we're not replacing the class mechanic, turning the Hammer into a bow, or redesigning the specialization from the ground up,  we're trying to make the Catalyst's existing mechanics work where we can, and cut and paste where we can't.

Even then, it's still pretty destructive, the catalyst really is in bad shape.

More than half of the issues I saw weren't even issues of taste or opinion but full on functional flaws under which the Catalyst wasn't playable, let alone fun, or competitive.

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Conncept.7638
Grammar and usage
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I appreciate the time u put into this but I just don't really like Catalyst, its totally not original and too inspired by scrapper. 

Also, 50% less damage on targets below 300 its ridiculous, usually enhancements or diminish of damage according to distance is not lore than 10%.

Remember that in raids and fractals we always stack. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aedil.1296 said:

Also, 50% less damage on targets below 300 its ridiculous, usually enhancements or diminish of damage according to distance is not lore than 10%.

That's incorrect, the difference between the longbows highest and minimum range is about 30%.  But in any case as with all fan-stuff we don't know how they calculate DPS internally and everything we do is either estimations, or in this case, sticking a number in because a nonsensical number is better than a blank space.

1 hour ago, Aedil.1296 said:

Remember that in raids and fractals we always stack. 

I didn't go over every single buff that would round out these changes, but facilitating that gameplay is exactly that idea behind them, make the melee and ranged skills stand on their own enough that if you need, you can run the two melee attunements in a melee only setting, or the two ranged in a ranged only setting, without the combination of all four having enough overlap to be overpowered.  If you don't think this accomplishes that, what would you suggest to make it happen?

Edited by Conncept.7638
  • Confused 1

You know what strikes me is that Ele starts with the smallest HP pool and lowest armor, and this should mean he's the highest DPS, but to accomplish this yiu need to stick to very strict rotations and rely on party for heal and defence whereas in other games you just do it much easier. This is what I don't like about Ele. Now you will tell me to go play another game, well I know I should. 

Edited by Aedil.1296
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Aedil.1296 said:

This is what I don't like about Ele. Now you will tell me to go play another game, well I know I should. 

I'm not going to tell you any such thing, if you want the game to change in a certain way stay and say so where appropriate, but please stop using my thread for your general complaints, stay on topic, and actually read the posts you're responding to.

3 hours ago, Aedil.1296 said:

You know what strikes me is that Ele starts with the smallest HP pool and lowest armor, and this should mean he's the highest DPS, but to accomplish this yiu need to stick to very strict rotations and rely on party for heal and defence whereas in other games you just do it much easier.

I don't think that means that at all, we need something for our low innate defense but burst is not the only answer and GW2 is not only about DPS.  Traditionally we've been compensated for our low innate defense by having a higher retinue of utility; we always have condition clear and healing, we always have access to condition and burst damage, we always have some amount of control and escape.

The issue is that the devs in recent years have used that as an excuse to give us NOTHING but a jack of all trades build that is useless in high-end PvE where everyone has a specific role, and in low-end PvE when everyone needs to maximize DPS.

Edited by Conncept.7638