New Char Selection Screen issues (black screen)

First of all, I love that you finally listened to our wishes for a better char selection screen. It's really great to have to scroll less! (Especially during beta events where we effectively only had 4 characters on the first page 😉)

But.... I see a kinda great issue with how the screen renders. In my case it leads to not having a char selection screen at all since the Nov 30 Update, it is all black for half a minute until I can see the selected character. Every time the screen is opened.

I hope this recording makes my issue clear 😪 https://youtu.be/WcSykL1MELE

As you can see in this video the game renders every single avatar before it displays the main screen, even the slots currently not visible. Only if it finished the very last character in the list it renders the main view (it's obvious in the second char selection...)

Also, the avatars are not cached, not even in the same game instance. So every time I relog to another char i have to do it completely blindly, or wait half a minute every single time.

My suggestion would be:

a.) either render the main view first, then avatars in the list,

b.) or render both the main view and the avatars in parallel

c.) cache the char avatars, permanently would be cool but for the client session would also help a ton. They can't change unless you log into that char anyway, so there is no need to fully rerender them every single time

Cheers

10 minutes ago, Vegeta.2563 said:

I've had this problem before.  This is a server side lag issue.

I think you misunderstood the issue, it's nothing server related and it didn't happen before the char select screen redesign. Please watch the video, it both shows what the problem is and also why it happens.

2 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

You do know that your not allowed to post on the forum with 2 different accounts right Flomix?

No I didn't. And I didn't see that I was logged in on my alt before sending and there is also no deleting of posts, so not much I could do anyway

1 hour ago, Flomix.3982 said:

No I didn't. And I didn't see that I was logged in on my alt before sending and there is also no deleting of posts, so not much I could do anyway

Well it is against the forum rules, so try not to do it again 🙂

I dont think Anet will be to harsh with a simple misstake, its mainly there so people dont circumvent forum bans by posting on multiple accounts I think.