Opinion: Altering the "Green Circles" in Dragon's End could fix everyone's issues with the Meta.

Clearly, this Meta is controversial. It's the hardest Open-World one in the game as it stands right now and a lot of people are hoping to clear it for loot and/or Turtle Mounts. That is both good for some; a lot of people like a challenge and are happy to see a map-wide meta require focus to complete, and bad for others; Having an hour of work go down the drain is rough, especially when it's hard to control who you're teamed up with in what may be limited playtime.

However, in this conversations time and again I see these green circles being brought up. People saying they give a DPS boost if done correctly, others pointing out that it's better to intentionally fail the mechanic, respawn, and have more time to DPS the main boss as the timer keeps ticking while they're up. Especially with it only taking one failing player to lock the entire meta for two minutes. When the boss is only on a tight timer (Again, a good thing for those who like the challenge and thrill) that can be draining to know that one person misunderstanding directions lost you all the work getting there. It may not be the only issue, maybe the DPS check in general is too rough. But at least clearing one obstacle can give an indication on how true that is.

So, while I personally have no immediate suggestions for a fix, (I've seen talk of reducing the timer on the mechanic as wisps complete their run, or freezing the overall timer while the mechanic is occurring, but I have no clue how easy such things would be to implement) I hope that Anet can start here, and see what small changes can be made to turn a frustrating meta for many, into one that's challenging but fair. Especially when it's a lot easier to justify nerfing a fight, than buffing it.

Edited by Hell Raven.6817
Changing Would to Could
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Hell Raven.6817 changed the title to Opinion: Altering the "Green Circles" in Dragon's End could fix everyone's issues with the Meta.

An incomplete list of mechanics you NEED to do correctly to win, and possibly reasons for why they attribute to you failing:

• Dodging. Yeah.....
  • Spear Phase. Tossing them at Soo-Won and breaking her bar will end the phase
    • This one is easy, but most people haven't learned this mechanic yet
  • 'Green Circles' Aka Wisps. This gives you a damage boost if completed correctly.
    • It also eats a crap ton of time off the clock while people are bouncing around instead of using a personal waypoint. 
  • Killing the tail QUICKLY gives you a nice dps window, stops some mechanics from happening as well.
    • No matter how long this meta exists, there will be a decent % of players that will NEVER swap to kill this
Edited by eth.4619

Maybe you could work with the number of players participating as wisps. Lets say half of them need to get up to complete the phase. That way people could still play the mechanic, new players learn it slowly, trolls would need to be numerous to hinder progress, and you could actually get the dmg buff. No clue if that could work though, no expert here obviously.

1 hour ago, Jake John.3109 said:

Maybe you could work with the number of players participating as wisps. Lets say half of them need to get up to complete the phase. That way people could still play the mechanic, new players learn it slowly, trolls would need to be numerous to hinder progress, and you could actually get the dmg buff. No clue if that could work though, no expert here obviously.

I haven't played the meta yet, but I already see the flaw in your idea ... relying on a random group of people to listen in map chat. When does that ever happen?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shaaba.5672 said:

I haven't played the meta yet, but I already see the flaw in your idea ... relying on a random group of people to listen in map chat. When does that ever happen?

Yeah, i know sounds crazy. Maybe you will relate differently once you have played the meta. For the time being I will simply keep on trying :)

11 hours ago, eth.4619 said:
  • 'Green Circles' Aka Wisps. This gives you a damage boost if completed correctly.
    • It also eats a crap ton of time off the clock while people are bouncing around instead of using a personal waypoint. 

Boy does ANET have news for you. :classic_rolleyes:

first thing i'd do is change the colour to yellow, because they don't act like green circle everywhere else.

everywhere else, it's get in the green, and done. this time, it causes an extra event (the wisps), therefore it should be yellow.

second thing, is i'd loosen the timer... say double it. (assuming a 70-80 player cap, but if it's 50, then raise the cap to 70-80)

third thing: offer a private instance with a hard 50 player cap, like IBS final boss and Marionette. so that those looking for a challenge can organize and start it whenever they'd like. and the public version would be more forgiving.

• Like 1