With the Steam launch, does ANet have any plans on releasing new data centers?

Set.2058

Hi!

I love GW2.

However, I'm from South America, which means I get ~200 ping. Okay for PvE, but very sad for PvP, since some skills have a cast time that's under 400ms (which gives you almost zero time to react - you can only prevent those if you predict them)

Having a data center was obviously not going to happen a few years back, but now, with the population surge, the release on Steam on sights and the recent huge population from SA on many games, such as Lost Ark, it doesn't seem like an impossible thing to happen.

Does anyone know if there are such plans?

• Like 2

Since new data centers need enough people to poplate atleast 3 servers on wvw.

You wont be able to pve or spvp with the other data centers.

I dont think enough of the current people want to move or that your region will get enough to make it worth while to open them up mate.

Since to get south america they most likely have to translate/voice act to brazilian and yea that is an ongoing cost they cant for sure know they will recover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

I dont think enough of the current people want to move or that your region will get enough to make it worth while to open them up mate.

Since to get south america they most likely have to translate/voice act to brazilian and yea that is an ongoing cost they cant for sure know they will recover.

No such thing as a brazilian language same as there no murican language.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

Eh, don't really think so.

Maybe the younger generation around here might be a bit too spoiled with everything coming out in Portuguese nowadays, but most players down here in the MMORPG age-range demography are completely used to playing games in English (and I'd wager that the majority of us actually prefer it that way, as translations tend to be bad and playing on the same language as the rest of the world makes it easier to google stuff and etc etc).

But that aside, I agree with the rest of your post and find it extremely unlikely that we'll get new data centers this late into the game life.

Personally, I've made my piece with my ~200ms latency a long time ago.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Hmm, a few considerations on your points:

* Not being able to play with other servers: that's fine and expected, to be honest. Ping > more people to play, 100%.

* Enough population: maybe. I'd wager we do have enough population tbh. I mean, sure, Brazil doesn't have nearly as many people as US, but we're like top 6 or 7 in the world regarding pure amount of people. It's like 2/3 of US. Also, the other countries in SA have a considerable amount of people. Afaik, all the other countries together have more or less the same amount of people as Brazil, so we're looking at roughly half a billion people.

So, yeah, there's many other factors regarding how many of those people even has interest/are in age range, could know about Steam, etc.

Speaking in Steam terms, though, there are numbers indicating that Brazil has like 5% of all Steam users (vs ~15% of US). So if US has enough people to fill what? 30+ servers? Yeah, I'm pretty sure we can fill at least three.

* Language: Eh, not really. Most people that play MMOs don't really care, tbh. They either can read English or Spanish well enough to understand everything that matters in game. Spanish accounts for roughly half of SA population straight away, while the other half, in Brazil, can usually get by with Spanish if they don't know English, since the Portuguese and Spanish are very close.

Proof of this is that Lost Ark has launched in SA with no Portuguese, and has seen **massive** amounts of people on the servers. The "main two" were overloaded within hours, to the point of queues.

Edited by Set.2058
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Set.2058 said:

Hmm, a few considerations on your points:

* Not being able to play with other servers: that's fine and expected, to be honest. Ping > more people to play, 100%.

* Enough population: maybe. I'd wager we do have enough population tbh. I mean, sure, Brazil doesn't have nearly as many people as US, but we're like top 6 or 7 in the world regarding pure amount of people. It's like 2/3 of US. Also, the other countries in SA have a considerable amount of people. Afaik, all the other countries together have more or less the same amount of people as Brazil, so we're looking at roughly half a billion people.

So, yeah, there's many other factors regarding how many of those people even has interest/are in age range, could know about Steam, etc.

Speaking in Steam terms, though, there are numbers indicating that Brazil has like 5% of all Steam users (vs ~15% of US). So if US has enough people to fill what? 30+ servers? Yeah, I'm pretty sure we can fill at least three.

* Language: Eh, not really. Most people that play MMOs don't really care, tbh. They either can read English or Spanish well enough to understand everything that matters in game. Spanish accounts for roughly half of SA population straight away, while the other half, in Brazil, can usually get by with Spanish if they don't know English, since the Portuguese and Spanish are very close.

Proof of this is that Lost Ark has launched in SA with no Portuguese, and has seen **massive** amounts of people on the servers. The "main two" were overloaded within hours, to the point of queues.

I guess you have missed all the threads please translate to portugese Anet because all my friends cant or dont want to play gw2 due to not understanding the story. 

We had quite afew of those over the years, I guess they all went to lost ark for awhile.

13 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

I guess you have missed all the threads please translate to portugese Anet because all my friends cant or dont want to play gw2 due to not understanding the story. 

We had quite afew of those over the years, I guess they all went to lost ark for awhile.

Vocal minority, most likely.

How many threads you think we had over the years vs how many Brazilian players?