4th Expansion Idea - “Secondary” Specializations

Volcanis.4872

I'm sure I’m not the first to think of this idea, but with news of a 4th expansion, I was thinking about what ArenaNet could do differently with regards to elite specializations. What if instead of adding a 4th elite specialization, they add a “secondary” specialization for each profession in the second specialization slot (elite specialization is in the third slot). 

Fans of Guild Wars 1 are familiar with secondary professions and this could be a simple way to add that flavor to Guild Wars 2. To better explain my idea, let me use an example:

Warrior Secondary Specialization - Gunslinger (Warrior/Thief)

- minor proficiency: you can wield a main hand pistol

- minor adept trait: unlocks heal banner, elite stance, and elite shout

As we know, there are missing healing, utility, and elite skills for skill types of certain professions (Warrior does not have a healing banner skill). ArenaNet could add these missing skills in the 4th expansion as another selling feature.

An advantage with this idea is that you can take the Berserker, Spellbreaker, or Bladesworn elite specialization and the Gunslinger secondary specialization in the same build. Berserker with pistol + torch, Spellbreaker with pistol + dagger, and Bladesworn with pistol + pistol are all possible.

Also, this could be an opportunity to move certain traits in existing specializations into these new secondary specializations and create new traits for core specializations.

What do you guys think? What are your ideas?

Here are my ideas for the rest of the professions:

Guardian - Crusader (Guardian/Warrior)

- warhorn - charges into battle

Revenant - Mistwalker (Revenant/Necromancer)

- scepter - balancing between life and death

Ranger - Hunter (Ranger/Engineer)

- rifle - hunts with gadgets

Engineer - Artificer (Engineer/Elementalist)

- focus - magical artifact

Thief - Duelist (Thief/Mesmer)

- off-hand sword - deceptive swordplay

Necromancer - Ritualist (Necromancer/Guardian)

- shield - summons spirits

Mesmer - Bard (Mesmer/Revenant)

- warhorn - sings of tales from the mist

Elementalist - Arcane Archer (Elementalist/Ranger)

- longbow - fires elemental arrows from range

Tbh. 

I'm hoping this expansion has highlighted the factor that core proffessions need reworking old weapon sets need reworking.

And instead of a 4th specialization we get a overhaul to core proffessions / weapon sets. 

As now Anet can see what has bolted the proffession down for years (mesmer clones, elementalist attunements as examples) and how they'd do core proffessions differently. 

I think next expansion needs to be 100% focused on what currently exists and not anything brand new. 

To the concept of multi proffessions, a major issue will be I think this would make balance even more complicated and power creep would raise massively which would generate nerf sprees.

I think long term it'd do more harm then good. 

• Like 8

On 3/27/2022 at 8:07 AM, Daddy.8125 said:

Tbh. 

I'm hoping this expansion has highlighted the factor that core proffessions need reworking old weapon sets need reworking.

And instead of a 4th specialization we get a overhaul to core proffessions / weapon sets. 

As now Anet can see what has bolted the proffession down for years (mesmer clones, elementalist attunements as examples) and how they'd do core proffessions differently. 

I think next expansion needs to be 100% focused on what currently exists and not anything brand new. 

To the concept of multi proffessions, a major issue will be I think this would make balance even more complicated and power creep would raise massively which would generate nerf sprees.

I think long term it'd do more harm then good. 

While I like new shinies I'd have to agree with this. It would be a balance nightmare.

What I could see is maybe adding more core weapons etc. But no new trait lines.