HAM tanking

I thought I would ask here since this seems to be the raid section. I am full harriers HAM atm  but i really want to branch out into HAM tank. My confusion is gearing, snowcrows dont really list a gear list for tanking so im hoping some raid tanks can give me advice. My thoughts first were to go half minstrels and half harriers, then someone said full min or givers. But i lose a lot of conc  with minstrels and no vitality on givers. To be clear im talking tanking Q1 QTP Dhuum SH, what would be my best options or mix of gear? I still want to be able to keep boons up and heal, while not being squishy

• Confused 1

I tanked SH in full minstrel on HAM. Was not that big an issue but you have to understand the difference between a HAM tank and say chrono or firebrand (or w/e class used).

As HAM you have a lot less aegis or blocks compared to a chrono or fb. You are forced to tank via barrier, damage mitigation and strait up healing if you have no blocks up. This is especially true for higher stacks.

That said here are some SH pointers:

- every mace 3 auto you can get in is more barrier for a hit taken

- save your big barrier skills for later once she has more than 1-2 stacks on you (F3, Barrier signet)

- consider using overclock signet for reduced signet recharge

- know your self heals, especially blasting into water fields given HAM self healing is lacking

- use a shield offhand, that extra block is very valuable with higher stacks

- know your cleanses and make sure to cleanse conditions asap as to reduce pressure beyond her big cleaves

- while you kite her, dodge her attacks to reduce pressure. while kiting you are taking less pressure until she reaches you again

In essence this fights revolves around outhealing/outbarrier SH with few stacks, then using cooldowns to survive with higher stacks.

As to the others:

- Dhuum shouldn't be an issue, he doesn't hit that hard

- adds tanking on Q1 should be fine, I don't recall them being that bad, then again I did tank on chrono

- QTP does hit hard, haven't tanked him myself. I'd assume you'd end up being a weak chrono with the ability to selfheal/selfsustain better

TL;DR:

HAM tanks works and is rather easy. It works all the way until it doesn't when its tank breaks at which point classes with more aegis and blocks pull ahead.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Hello, sorry to bother you but I saw your comment in tand I wanted to know if you could tell me the meaning of Ham. Because I haven't been connected for a long time and I've seen in the group search publications that they are looking for ham and I don't know what it means. :)

thanks in advance <3

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, pablovocos.6780 said:

Hello, sorry to bother you but I saw your comment in tand I wanted to know if you could tell me the meaning of Ham. Because I haven't been connected for a long time and I've seen in the group search publications that they are looking for ham and I don't know what it means. :)

thanks in advance ❤️

It's an acronym for Heal Alacrity Mechanist

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

I tanked SH in full minstrel on HAM. Was not that big an issue but you have to understand the difference between a HAM tank and say chrono or firebrand (or w/e class used).

As HAM you have a lot less aegis or blocks compared to a chrono or fb. You are forced to tank via barrier, damage mitigation and strait up healing if you have no blocks up. This is especially true for higher stacks.

That said here are some SH pointers:

- every mace 3 auto you can get in is more barrier for a hit taken

- save your big barrier skills for later once she has more than 1-2 stacks on you (F3, Barrier signet)

- consider using overclock signet for reduced signet recharge

- know your self heals, especially blasting into water fields given HAM self healing is lacking

- use a shield offhand, that extra block is very valuable with higher stacks

- know your cleanses and make sure to cleanse conditions asap as to reduce pressure beyond her big cleaves

- while you kite her, dodge her attacks to reduce pressure. while kiting you are taking less pressure until she reaches you again

In essence this fights revolves around outhealing/outbarrier SH with few stacks, then using cooldowns to survive with higher stacks.

As to the others:

- Dhuum shouldn't be an issue, he doesn't hit that hard

- adds tanking on Q1 should be fine, I don't recall them being that bad, then again I did tank on chrono

- QTP does hit hard, haven't tanked him myself. I'd assume you'd end up being a weak chrono with the ability to selfheal/selfsustain better

TL;DR:

HAM tanks works and is rather easy. It works all the way until it doesn't when its tank breaks at which point classes with more aegis and blocks pull ahead.

Oh thank you Lots of good stuff here and the minstrels sounds like a fit. I want to be able to keep boons up too so Ill try in minstrels see how it goes and maybe shift a few pieces to givers.