An issue with Combat System, one with the Camera, and one with Bladesworn

COMBAT SYSTEM ISSUE: So i was testing on the training dummy as my recently (and first) maxxed Bladesworn, because i swear most of my skills were only good for some slight utility and i actually did less damage/effectiveness using them, so there was no point in using them 90% of the time. Even with supposedly the damage skills (like gunblade 2 and 4 which shows more damage on paper) and what i found is auto attacking is better as i thought and felt.

Go to the training dummy and use even aforementioned gunblade 2 and 4 inbetween autoattacks, reset, then just sit and smoothly auto attack away for either better damage or the same at very best.

Sure the axe/pistol 5 for Bladesworn is a proper dps skill that's actually better, but that's probably literally the only one.

Then i googled this and found out it's not just Bladesworn, but GW2 combat in general? Not only do you have less skills than a traditional mmo, but they're almost *all* very situational utility?

Don't get me wrong utility skills are great, but dps *and* utility skills are of course better (and kind of standard affair...) 

I've heard GW2 is super casual focused, so has auto attacks being quietly made to be just strong if not better than other skills - just a part of this core GW2 design philosophy? Or is this a bug with skill animations or unintended increased attack speed or damage with autoattacks or something?

The game and especially Bladesworn is mostly good fun, but definitely not if it's just autoattack for the majority of it...

BLADESWORN ISSUE: Speaking of which as Bladesworn, you can aim your core elite-spec skill (dragon slash or whatever) with action combat mode/camera, but not the free mode which is recommended? (and personally preferred, again standard mmo affair...) as it's much more useful to use. People are resorting to binding switch to action mode and using every, single, time they dragon slash to aim then switch back and that just sounds super tedious, a band-aid at best.

CAMERA ISSUE: I've unbound every single key to do with zoom and camera, and have put camera sliders all the way to left and right - and still every 10 seconds or so my camera keeps zooming right into my character (not near any walls or otherwise environment) and staying there like it's saying "you don't really want to play fully zoomed out and see things properly, you actually want to play zoomed in like this, we think it's far better for you" and it's already triggering me, i can't imagine it happening during actual challenging content like raids, pvp etc. I'd lose my mind.

What is doing this and how do i finally kill it? Is it a part of Bladesworn somehow for cinematic effect?

Edit: Even though it doesn't really matter because i don't think i'll end up getting to that point now, after finding out about that core combat issue. I already know myself and that i won't be able to reconcile with less skills and now mostly auto attack combat on top, even if i tried. Even if the rest of combat (action combat and boss telegraphs/mechanics to avoid and otherwise interact with etc) is great.

Edited by Whiskiz.3091
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

so it appears like the only reason to use half those skills is "overcharged cartridges" which increases "explosion" damage (without having done any testing for it to see if still worth as it only shows increased damage by 15%)

i guess that buff is required to make half of bladesworn purposeful.

what's the point of using the throwing axe charges? auto attack better unless enemy on low life where they do increased damage. it's just a glorified slow. same for artillery slash if no overcharged cartridges no?

that long list looks cool and all on paper, but at the end of the day it's only comprised of mines, blooming fire, and artillery slash if you have overcharged cartridges (that i haven't tested) - otherwise dragon slashes and pistol 5 and its reload with 4 for damage (not including cyclone axe which again aa is better and just good for buff)

still seems kinda lacking.

Edit: maybe the skills damage wise don't seem all that impactful because i only tested on the dummy mostly unbuffed and the base damages aren't that much higher on skills than auto attacks - maybe if i put the 20 or so buffs on or whatever there'd be a bigger difference in the output. About all else i can think of.

Edited by Whiskiz.3091
  • Sad 1

pistol 5 and reload 4 then 5 again is enough to get max 10 stacks or close to

then any ammo skill refreshes each time no? with almost every other bladesworn skill having ammo/charges to refresh.

Edit: alright each stack seems to have its own timer, but is only 1% dmg increase per stack, so not sure how important a subpar dmg axethrow is for 1% buff for a bit, but i'm guessing it's been tested by people alot better than me and checks out

things just aren't feeling very impactful

Edited by Whiskiz.3091
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Whiskiz.3091 said:

pistol 5 and reload 4 then 5 again is enough to get max 10 stacks or close to

then any ammo skill refreshes each time no? with almost every other bladesworn skill having ammo/charges to refresh.

Edit: alright each stack seems to have its own timer, but is only 1% dmg increase per stack, so not sure how important a subpar dmg axethrow is for 1% buff for a bit, but i'm guessing it's been tested by people alot better than me and checks out

things just aren't feeling very impactful

Have you played ele by chance or maybe jade dynamo, I mean what are you looking for smash buttons do damage in rapid succession?  As for the camera you have a setting most likely thats doing that

Edited by Artemis.8034

9 hours ago, Whiskiz.3091 said:

so it appears like the only reason to use half those skills is "overcharged cartridges" which increases "explosion" damage (without having done any testing for it to see if still worth as it only shows increased damage by 15%)

i guess that buff is required to make half of bladesworn purposeful.

what's the point of using the throwing axe charges? auto attack better unless enemy on low life where they do increased damage. it's just a glorified slow. same for artillery slash if no overcharged cartridges no?

that long list looks cool and all on paper, but at the end of the day it's only comprised of mines, blooming fire, and artillery slash if you have overcharged cartridges (that i haven't tested) - otherwise dragon slashes and pistol 5 and its reload with 4 for damage (not including cyclone axe which again aa is better and just good for buff)

still seems kinda lacking.

Edit: maybe the skills damage wise don't seem all that impactful because i only tested on the dummy mostly unbuffed and the base damages aren't that much higher on skills than auto attacks - maybe if i put the 20 or so buffs on or whatever there'd be a bigger difference in the output. About all else i can think of.

try playing that rotation in an actual encounter with mechanics.

Gw2 isn't just about playing down a rotation with 50 different skills, movement, dodges, etc. are much more important 

Edited by Sarius.9285