Adding player-owned NPC's.

Nabbut.7480

I think if limited to instances this would be good.  Basically just add an NPC to replace party slots.  So long as they were effective enough to be useful, but not effective enough to replace actual players (say, 50% effectiveness).

My ideal wouldn't be NPCs, but alts.  I'd like my characters to be able to interact, and it would allow for gearing/skills/traits/customisation to carry over.

It would make me play dungeons more, and be quite cool in story modes to see "your" party going through together.  Bonus points if they added "Stand there" buttons to do e.g. Citadel of Flame.

For the sake of not getting into a debate, maybe leave it out of Fractals and 10-person content.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

I think if limited to instances this would be good.  Basically just add an NPC to replace party slots.  So long as they were effective enough to be useful, but not effective enough to replace actual players (say, 50% effectiveness).

My ideal wouldn't be NPCs, but alts.  I'd like my characters to be able to interact, and it would allow for gearing/skills/traits/customisation to carry over.

It would make me play dungeons more, and be quite cool in story modes to see "your" party going through together.  Bonus points if they added "Stand there" buttons to do e.g. Citadel of Flame.

Restricting to abandoned instanced-content like Dungeons, where the impact on others is limited would be pretty cool, as you describe... Lots of possibilities, and the complexity endless.  Though I imagine the development effort involved to make your Alts behave like NPCs for that content would be substantial and beyond viability.  

13 minutes ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

like most "bundles" its have huge time to summon it again(30 minutes).

Given the Sunspear's duration is 2 minutes, I wonder as to how effective this is... It seems like a limited use-case; offering a bit of extra help during solo play?  Which would be when?  Soloing some of the dungeons?  Bounties?  I guess there isn't a downside to deploying, even if only as a distraction while you revive, regroup, etc.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

Given the Sunspear's duration is 2 minutes, I wonder as to how effective this is... It seems like a limited use-case; offering a bit of extra help during solo play?  Which would be when?  Soloing some of the dungeons?  Bounties?  I guess there isn't a downside to deploying, even if only as a distraction while you revive, regroup, etc.   

They have that policie for almost all bundles/summonables.

I didn't know the reason, i vaguely remember some old patch note saying that was for performance issues.

Which is sad, because gw2 is very rich on bundles and stuff like that.

these pages list summons/bundles

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Purchasable_bundles

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Summon

http://dulfy.net/2013/01/16/gw2-useful-and-fun-consumables-guide/

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I know this is a joke but, minus the bomb collars, that used to happen in Ultima Online. People would stand around the bank (where everyone went to trade) and instead of selling things they already had they'd sell their time and skills. Someone would pay them for a pre-agreed amount of time and then they'd do whatever that player wanted until the time ran out.

It could be carrying them through a dungeon or something, or going out and gathering specific materials, or refining materials they'd already gathered, or whatever the 'employer' wanted and the 'employee' could do.

Some of that already happens in GW2, like people paying for raid clears, and in theory there's no reason they couldn't pay for another players time to do other things as well. Although I suspect the reason I haven't seen it since I quit UO is it's more practical to advertise for specific things than general purpose availability.

Had runners in GW1 as well.  

16 minutes ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

This is great, thank you... I have overlooked this aspect of play and can see the potential usefulness of deploying in some solo situations.