How do you play revenant in PVP?

Kstyle.5829

I am mostly just a PVP player and I have played every class in the game besides rev and I'm kind of confused with what to do with staff and my other stance.  When I'm in assassin stance with dual swords or greatsword It's straightforward, but what do you do with herald or vindicator when you're using staff?  On vindicator is it just for using heals to help you and your team survive and on herald its just to give people buffs and cast some AOE spells?

On herald, the elemental blast and burst of strength actually do pretty hard damage, and gaze of darkness is a pretty good utility. Reveal, blind, stunbreak, good skill against for example, gs warrior to avoid shield bash>arcing/ shield bash>breaching strike, without wasting dodge, or d/p thieves to deny their stealth attack. For staff, it's also utility weapon. Staff 5 can interrupt lich form. With brutality, sometimes even eat all of supp guards f3 stab and interrupt them. Or just emergency evade. Staff 4 for some heals and condi cleanse when you're kiting.

4 hours ago, Kstyle.5829 said:

I am mostly just a PVP player and I have played every class in the game besides rev and I'm kind of confused with what to do with staff and my other stance.  When I'm in assassin stance with dual swords or greatsword It's straightforward, but what do you do with herald or vindicator when you're using staff?  On vindicator is it just for using heals to help you and your team survive and on herald its just to give people buffs and cast some AOE spells?

Staff is your defensive kit. The only time you should be ever swapping into Staff is when you're in trouble, like serious trouble. It used to be semi decent follow up to Swords but as it got layered with thick nerfs, it has stopped being so and is used purely for defensive means, but that's not to say it's not unusable. 

Staff 1 auto - This is your last ditch attempt to deal any sort of damage. You don't really wanna use it because there are more important things you should be using on Staff, or just swapping off it ASAP. That being said, it's still good when used in combination with Upkeep skills like Impossible Odds as it is a very fast completing auto attack chain with multi hits AND a small chip of healing. 

Staff 2 - This is your only "burst" skill which you should attempt to use only if you know you can give the target a good bonk, probably if they're CC'd or crippled. It does very mediocre damage and even worse healing but it has a shining saving feature which is applying Weakness, making your target(s) unable to crit properly for a few seconds. This Weakness application can also help increase your damage against them if you are using Retribution and Dwarven Battle Training. 

Staff 3 - This is a twofold attack with multiple effects, most importantly being its Block. This is a CHANNELED Block so it can be interrupted if you were somehow Feared or being hit by an unblockable interrupt. The second feature of this skill is Blinding enemies near you just before the skill is finished. This means instead of merely just blocking and running away, you can use this skill to mitigate damage and Blind a target(s) before taking a more aggressive push against them. 

Staff 4 - Heal and Condi Cleanse. Nothing much to say about this except it has a Blast Finisher. Usually you use this to get condis off you if you are using your Revenant Condi burst cleanse combo (Riposting Shadows > weapon swap to Staff > Staff 4 > Legend swap) 

Staff 5 - Anti pressure evade with some mobility and emergency CC. See someone who needs to be interrupted lest they stomp someone? Press 5. See a whole bunch of enemies try to block your escape? Press 5. Also note since this is a mobility skill, I always recommend running Aggressive Agility from Devastation with this. It turns this skill into an extremely valuable get out of jail free card that breaks Immobilizes from pesky Immob spamming builds while saving your skin. 

Reiterate: Staff is a defensive weapon swap. You only swap to Staff if not doing it will kill you due to not accessing its superior defensive kit. Or, just run Greatsword + Swords if you wish to yolo and rely on camping Saint to offset your healing. In fact many Vindi builds prefer running Sword + Greatsword anyway because defensively, Greatsword is sufficient for a good player because it already has a Block on it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

Staff is your defensive kit. The only time you should be ever swapping into Staff is when you're in trouble, like serious trouble. It used to be semi decent follow up to Swords but as it got layered with thick nerfs, it has stopped being so and is used purely for defensive means, but that's not to say it's not unusable. 

Staff 1 auto - This is your last ditch attempt to deal any sort of damage. You don't really wanna use it because there are more important things you should be using on Staff, or just swapping off it ASAP. That being said, it's still good when used in combination with Upkeep skills like Impossible Odds as it is a very fast completing auto attack chain with multi hits AND a small chip of healing. 

Staff 2 - This is your only "burst" skill which you should attempt to use only if you know you can give the target a good bonk, probably if they're CC'd or crippled. It does very mediocre damage and even worse healing but it has a shining saving feature which is applying Weakness, making your target(s) unable to crit properly for a few seconds. This Weakness application can also help increase your damage against them if you are using Retribution and Dwarven Battle Training. 

Staff 3 - This is a twofold attack with multiple effects, most importantly being its Block. This is a CHANNELED Block so it can be interrupted if you were somehow Feared or being hit by an unblockable interrupt. The second feature of this skill is Blinding enemies near you just before the skill is finished. This means instead of merely just blocking and running away, you can use this skill to mitigate damage and Blind a target(s) before taking a more aggressive push against them. 

Staff 4 - Heal and Condi Cleanse. Nothing much to say about this except it has a Blast Finisher. Usually you use this to get condis off you if you are using your Revenant Condi burst cleanse combo (Riposting Shadows > weapon swap to Staff > Staff 4 > Legend swap) 

Staff 5 - Anti pressure evade with some mobility and emergency CC. See someone who needs to be interrupted lest they stomp someone? Press 5. See a whole bunch of enemies try to block your escape? Press 5. Also note since this is a mobility skill, I always recommend running Aggressive Agility from Devastation with this. It turns this skill into an extremely valuable get out of jail free card that breaks Immobilizes from pesky Immob spamming builds while saving your skin. 

Reiterate: Staff is a defensive weapon swap. You only swap to Staff if not doing it will kill you due to not accessing its superior defensive kit. Or, just run Greatsword + Swords if you wish to yolo and rely on camping Saint to offset your healing. In fact many Vindi builds prefer running Sword + Greatsword anyway because defensively, Greatsword is sufficient for a good player because it already has a Block on it. 

Thanks a bunch this is very helpful. So do you pretty much just stay in assassin stance on dual swords and stay on defensive stance with staff?  And is herald the same as vindicator in this sense where you use the glint stance with staff for defensive stuff?  I'm kind of confused about how the buffs work on herald it seems like they stay on you as long as you have the stance but as soon as you change stances you lose all the buffs.  What are you suppposed to do with glint stance in general?

4 hours ago, Kstyle.5829 said:

Thanks a bunch this is very helpful. So do you pretty much just stay in assassin stance on dual swords and stay on defensive stance with staff?  And is herald the same as vindicator in this sense where you use the glint stance with staff for defensive stuff?  I'm kind of confused about how the buffs work on herald it seems like they stay on you as long as you have the stance but as soon as you change stances you lose all the buffs.  What are you suppposed to do with glint stance in general?

No, you stay on swords and keep switching Legends as and when you need to, especially for Energy resource management. You only swap to Staff for specific need of its kit. 

Glint stance is for poke and with Elemental Blast and Burst of might, as well as giving yourself boons, that's why people use Draconic Echo and consume the skills just before swapping to Assassin after they're done bursting with the skills. 

Edited by Yasai.3549

36 minutes ago, Yasai.3549 said:

No, you stay on swords and keep switching Legends as and when you need to, especially for Energy resource management. You only swap to Staff for specific need of its kit. 

Glint stance is for poke and with Elemental Blast and Burst of might, as well as giving yourself boons, that's why people use Draconic Echo and consume the skills just before swapping to Assassin after they're done bursting with the skills. 

Lol I'm not gonna play this class it's too hard. I only had one slot left and had to delete my willbender to make it and I decided I like willbender more.  

Edited by Kstyle.5829

Lol I'm not gonna play this class I just realized it's too hard.  I only had one slot left and had to delete my willbender to make it and I decided I like willbender more.   In PVP I need a bunch of classes I can switch between depending on comp and I can't really afford to put a thousand hours into learning something like this or hammer catalyst just for certain counterplay so I'ma just stick with the easier ones.  

Edited by Kstyle.5829

On 1/15/2023 at 1:55 AM, Kstyle.5829 said:

In PVP I need a bunch of classes I can switch between depending on comp and I can't really afford to put a thousand hours into learning something like this or hammer catalyst just for certain counterplay so I'ma just stick with the easier ones.  

Too bad the meta now seems to be 5 eles x team, so you'll be out of luck for a while...

17 minutes ago, Buran.3796 said:

Too bad the meta now seems to be 5 eles x team, so you'll be out of luck for a while...

yeah you're right. im just been playing scepter catalyst its broken as hell. they stopped caring about balance probably why literally 95% of the population quit already