Trying to get the Thruster Control Unit

Akira Kaoscorp.7014

19 hours ago, araiya.5160 said:

An alternative does not mean gimmegimmeeasyeasy. I got the turtle egg via the meta, but knowing I could get it another way if I just couldn't stand the meta or couldn't play during the right hours or whatever, well that was nice.

Addig an alternative in the same style would be fine, but we both know people would just ask for another - easier - alternative.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Akira Kaoscorp.7014  My wife and me are casual players, too, so  we would also prefer an alternative option to get the thruster control unit. Maybe we were naive, but after all that advertising for the siege turtle we were expecting to unlock it while playing the story. The first disappointment was to realize that we had to complete another collection. The second disappointment was to see that we had to do a strike mission.

Sure, I had pretty much fun with End of Dragons and Guild Wars 2 is still an awesome game, but after that realization I was so frustrated that I quit the game. Now, almost a year later, I just looked up if there is another way to get the turtle, that's how I found this thread. So... definitly an upvote from us.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I am surprised so many people commented, thank you all for your feedback.  Yes, I am not use to using forums so I probably posted this in the wrong area and I am sorry about that. 

I just wanted to get the game developers attention and I was told by GW2 support that this was how you do it. I will say also that we did find an experienced leader for the strike mission and had 10 people and we still failed.....badly, after trying for 3 hours. I don't mind a challenge, but it's just not fun for me and my husband. Maybe one day we will try again, maybe not, who knows.

My husband and I have been playing Guild Wars for a long time, in fact we met on Guild Wars 1. This is the first time we have ever had such a problem with this game and this is just really out of our element in general. However all of you who know how to do strike missions or just do them for fun really have skill and we applaud you! Getting to see someone who knows what they are doing is very impressive. It is just very overwhelming for us casual gamers and that was my main point about it. 

Thank you again to everyone who commented! It is greatly appreciated!   

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 5 months later...

I have been playing the game for many years now. when I first started playing Guild Wars I played with a group of friends and we had a nice group. Now people have moved, finished school, gotten married and life has happened. I am a solo player now and don't like that we have to do strike missions. I have never done strike missions, hate WvW, Fractals, Raids or PvP those types of play are not fun for me and I think it is unfair to start making the part of PvE achievements. I am not a kid anymore but I still like to play. So please reconsider making us play the side games to get mounts and advance in the PvE part of the game

On 2/15/2023 at 1:44 PM, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Majority of the items require only Open World PvE. You don't see constant whining from PvP/WvW/Raid/Whatever players when time and time again open world gets the most focus, but you see a lot of whining when something requires you to spend ~15 minutes outside of open world PvE.

It may take 15minutes if you can find a group of 10 or more people to do the mission. I haven't gotten a group yet. I normally play 3am to 8am. central USA time. When i first started playing this game it was all about PvE now the have add so many things to do to get other type to player to join the game. Maybe the need to stop trying to have crossover mission play and would make me happy  

1 hour ago, max.4058 said:

I have been playing the game for many years now. when I first started playing Guild Wars I played with a group of friends and we had a nice group. Now people have moved, finished school, gotten married and life has happened. I am a solo player now and don't like that we have to do strike missions. I have never done strike missions, hate WvW, Fractals, Raids or PvP those types of play are not fun for me and I think it is unfair to start making the part of PvE achievements. I am not a kid anymore but I still like to play. So please reconsider making us play the side games to get mounts and advance in the PvE part of the game

There is an alternative way in the game to gain the item now.  You can buy it for Imperial Favor and Research notes instead.

If you can manage instanced content for around 15 - 20 minutes though, it is far easier to just go through the strike.  There are still a lot of strike regulars who will help people get their turtles when we see someone listed in LFG.

12 hours ago, max.4058 said:

It may take 15minutes if you can find a group of 10 or more people to do the mission. I haven't gotten a group yet. I normally play 3am to 8am. central USA time. When i first started playing this game it was all about PvE now the have add so many things to do to get other type to player to join the game. Maybe the need to stop trying to have crossover mission play and would make me happy  

That's when you make your own group, it's not that difficult to open LFG and make your own Strike group for the turtle.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried for weeks and was never able to get a full group. No one wants to sit online for hour trying to get enough people to do that mission. the most i was able to get was 7 and after a while someone would leave. I was able to finally get the turtle now i have to find someone to ride with me to get an achievement WTH

• Confused 2

• 1 month later...

It's always the same.

"Find a group...right." Most can't or do not want to spend hours waiting.

"Get gud, noob." So much help that is. Not. Skip those comments quickly.

"Get better gear." <-- That at least is somewhat helpful. Several websites offer advice on that.

Some advice. (Feel free to skip)

First thing is to review one or several of the videos describing the strike and what it takes to do them. Several are offered online. Some will give an idea of good characters that do well, their armor and weapons.

Compare and update your characters that you intend to use. Then look into instanced combat events to see if you can do well. That is, try them. For some players, even the best characters, armor and weapons aren't going to be enough. You have to learn to play that character...really well. Practice in PvP or WvW, even against good vets or champs in open world. You have to know the keyboard and be able to hit those keys unerringly. That is difficult for some, but not impossible if you practice. 

Lastly, while waiting and looking for a group is painful, it's necessary. While some content may be done by less than the number of players recommended, those players are usually experienced with that content. Having a group with less than the recommended numbers and inexperienced players is usually suicide. It will give you an idea of what 'NOT' to do if you watch and learn. Still, mostly a waste of your time and theirs.

Good luck!