Trying to get the Thruster Control Unit

Akira Kaoscorp.7014

Hello,

I have never done this before, but I want to get the developers attention. My husband and I play GW2 together and have been playing since GW1. We have gotten all the mounts, minus the Siege Turtle. Basically we can not get the last thing we need, the Thruster Control Unit. We have never done a strike mission before and we tried to do it with just the two of us, that was a big fail. Then we did LFG to see if we can find anyone to join us. We did not think it would be a problem, but we have had no one and we have tried many times at different times. 

I think it's silly to advertise the Siege Turtle as if everyone can get it, but have one part of the achievement be a strike mission. All my husband and I need is this last thing and I don't think we can get it so this is very frustrating. We are just casual players and are not a part of a big guild, so we rely on other players to help or join with.  I understand that players who play GW2 for strike missions don't want to have to deal with new players who don't understand the mission as you can only take 10 people in. From what I have read you need certain skills and armor as well. Strike missions are not my thing or my husbands, so unless we get people willing to help us with the strike mission we won't be getting the Siege Turtle. 

I just want the developers to know that this is a problem for casual gamers or people who are not into strike missions. I think having a merchant sell the thruster or have it as a reward from another event would be better. Just my opinion, I don't know if anyone else feels the same.  

• Like 5
  • Confused 6

Doing one strike mission is really not too much to ask. I often see groups in lfg that are looking for players to do the strike Mission for the turtle. Your best chances are when it’s daily. 
If you want the reward, do what is required. Just like everyone else. The strike mission is not very difficult and the mechanics are easy to learn. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

The only big hurdle with the Siege Turtle was getting the egg before they added it to a vendor, because the Dragon's End meta is a true nightmare and often a monumental waste of time.

In contrast, doing the one Strike Mission is fine. If you can't find a group, wait until it's the daily.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

Watch a video on YouTube to study the encounter and then join an experienced run under the LFG. Non-CM groups generally don't care about what your DPS is, just that you know the fight.

I highly recommend learning to properly gear and trait characters and train yourself on the golem though. Better builds actually let you play more casually, since you're doing more damage and have more defense than you would have on randomly thrown together builds.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2

I'm with you, @Akira Kaoscorp.7014

I have no interest in doing strikes. I think it's great that they are making them for the people who like them. I'm for exclusive rewards being in them (strike specific cosmetics are great!).

I think it's a shame that an open world mount you can't even use in instanced group content requires a strike to get.

But this seems to be ArenaNet's current direction. Strikes are a major focus. And they have no problem trying to get more players into them by putting requiring them to unlock one of the expansions core selling points.

If I've learned anything over the past decade, it's that ArenaNet could change design focus at any moment. They've really got this intanced group PvE thing right now, but who knows how long it will last. The great thing about GW2 is that it's easy to take a break and come back later.

EDIT: And I think it's sad some mod decided to drop your post in the LFG portion of instanced content. Clearly not what you were expressing.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

15 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

EDIT: And I think it's sad some mod decided to drop your post in the LFG portion of instanced content. Clearly not what you were expressing.

Did a mod move it here? I thought OP created it here. 

Strike Missions are part of the expansion, it’s just clever to combine two elements of the expansion. If you want a reward, do what is required. Doing one strike mission is not a difficult thing to do, you already know the encounter from story mission. I could understand your crying if you had to do CM, but you only have to do normal mode. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I'm with you, @Akira Kaoscorp.7014

I have no interest in doing strikes. I think it's great that they are making them for the people who like them. I'm for exclusive rewards being in them (strike specific cosmetics are great!).

I think it's a shame that an open world mount you can't even use in instanced group content requires a strike to get.

But this seems to be ArenaNet's current direction. Strikes are a major focus. And they have no problem trying to get more players into them by putting requiring them to unlock one of the expansions core selling points.

If I've learned anything over the past decade, it's that ArenaNet could change design focus at any moment. They've really got this intanced group PvE thing right now, but who knows how long it will last. The great thing about GW2 is that it's easy to take a break and come back later.

Playing content for the rewards is nothing out of ordinary. If you want to clutch that "I could do it but I won't because no!" attitude then it's your choice.

17 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Pretty sure it was OP's decision to put it here, fix your crystal ball  😅

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, vares.8457 said:

Did a mod move it here? I thought OP created it here. 

Strike Missions are part of the expansion, it’s just clever to combine two elements of the expansion. If you want a reward, do what is required. Doing one strike mission is not a difficult thing to do, you already know the encounter from story mission. I could understand your crying if you had to do CM, but you only have to do normal mode. 

Not crying, just expressing my personal taste.

Yeah, I know, "you want the reward, do what is required." Always a nice way of shutting down any and all discussion of "what is required".

'Sallgood. I just posted here so the OP didn't feel like they are the only one who was a little put off by the decision to lock an open world mount behind instanced group content.

My apologies if the OP put this here. It doesn't look from the post like it was an actual attempt to find a group, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Not crying, just expressing my personal taste.

Yeah, I know, "you want the reward, do what is required." Always a nice way of shutting down any and all discussion of "what is required".

'Sallgood. I just posted here so the OP didn't feel like they are the only one who was a little put off by the decision to lock an open world mount behind instanced group content.

My apologies if the OP put this here. It doesn't look from the post like it was an actual attempt to find a group, but perhaps I'm wrong.

They locked one expansion feature behind another expansion feature. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Absolutely.

You and a whole lot of other people are cool with that.

For others it diminished our enjoyment of the game.

You refuse to play that content, so it doesn't seem like it diminished your enjoyment, rather you wanted easier reward so playing something new is automatically "no because no". Hardly the game's fault. You seemed to finally understand that with the legendaries which pushed you to play some content you otherwise wouldn't, but somehow in this case you're unable to understand it's the same.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Absolutely.

You and a whole lot of other people are cool with that.

For others it diminished our enjoyment of the game.

Strike Missions don’t hurt you, they are actually a lot of fun. I never understand why some people limit themselves so much and only play small parts of the content the game has to offer. 
But if you refuse to step out of your comfort zone and try new things, you might miss great stuff. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 4

Just now, vares.8457 said:

Strike Missions don’t hurt you, they are actually a lot of fun. I never understand why some people limit themselves so much and only play small parts of the content the game has to offer. 
But if you refuse to step out of your comfort zone, you might miss great stuff. 

Heh, I don't expect strike missions to hurt.

And I'm a big proponent of "try new things and see if you like them".

I've done a couple. Also done enough dungeons to know it's just not something I enjoy. And I'm a believer in, "if it's not fun, don't do it" in video games.

I play PvP, WvW, open world PVE. Do adventures, races, griffon courses. I'm definitely not in a tiny corner of GW2.

If ArenaNet had included a new EoD PvP map and required it for the turtle, a whole different set of people would have lost their minds. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

If ArenaNet had included a new EoD PvP map and required it for the turtle, a whole different set of people would have lost their minds. 🤷‍♂️

True, there was some crying that you had to play ten PvP matches to get the decade armor.  You can’t please everyone, some will always complain. 
But doing one (!) strike mission for the turtle is really not a big deal, it takes 15 minutes max. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 4

Just now, vares.8457 said:

True, there was some crying that you had to play ten PvP matches to get the decade armor. 
But doing one (!) strike mission for the turtle is really not a big deal, it takes 15 minutes max. 

Yeah, I may get around to eating my brussels sprouts at some point.

At the moment I have a ridiculously large turtle that follows me everywhere in Arborstone. He has no sense of personal space, and his heavy breathing is somewhat disturbing. It might be worth doing a strike just to get rid of him.

Maybe I'll just plug my nose and choke down a fractal the same night so I can get Lion's Pride. I've always been a big fan of the original GW2 LA.

When EoD first launched, I let the chef know I didn't care for brussels sprouts being added to my cherry pie. I wouldn't have posted about it again, except another cherry pie lover posted, and was only getting "it's not that hard to eat them" as a response. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Heh, I don't expect strike missions to hurt.

And I'm a big proponent of "try new things and see if you like them".

I've done a couple. Also done enough dungeons to know it's just not something I enjoy. And I'm a believer in, "if it's not fun, don't do it" in video games.

I play PvP, WvW, open world PVE. Do adventures, races, griffon courses. I'm definitely not in a tiny corner of GW2.

As far as I remember, quite some time post eod release you were still saying you didn't/won't do strikes. It's interesting to hear now you're saying you've tried strikes, but... somehow it still wasn't the one required for the turtle. If you wanted a reward from a strike and apparently you've decided to try them out, I can only suggest to next time try out the one you need to complete for the reward you want. 😅

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

I also don't have the turtle because of this one requirement. Not a big deal to be honest. I don't think that mount is worth me spending my time on something I don't enjoy. I do wish I had realized the requirement before I did all the other things necessary, but, oh well -- those parts were actually fun anyway even if I didn't get the mount in the end.

For the rest of you that disagree and really enjoyed the strike requirement, why would you be so opposed to an additional method of obtaining the Thruster Control Unit? It would have absolutely zero impact on your experience. Unless you just don't like the idea of someone else getting something in a way you don't like. Just weird.

• Like 5
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, araiya.5160 said:

Unless you just don't like the idea of someone else getting something in a way you don't like. Just weird.

Majority of the items require only Open World PvE. You don't see constant whining from PvP/WvW/Raid/Whatever players when time and time again open world gets the most focus, but you see a lot of whining when something requires you to spend ~15 minutes outside of open world PvE.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, araiya.5160 said:

I also don't have the turtle because of this one requirement. Not a big deal to be honest. I don't think that mount is worth me spending my time on something I don't enjoy. I do wish I had realized the requirement before I did all the other things necessary, but, oh well -- those parts were actually fun anyway even if I didn't get the mount in the end.

For the rest of you that disagree and really enjoyed the strike requirement, why would you be so opposed to an additional method of obtaining the Thruster Control Unit? It would have absolutely zero impact on your experience. Unless you just don't like the idea of someone else getting something in a way you don't like. Just weird.

You do realize that exclusive rewards exist to bring people into different types of content, right? In this regard, the Thruster is no different than the Gift of battle in WvW. Giving additional ways of acquiring said rewards defeats the purpose of the original acquisition method.

I don't think adding more ways of acquisition is a good thing, if the reason is simply that some people are too firmly against trying to dip their toes into specific types of content.

If there was an issue with the content itself, like with the Dragon's End meta, than it might be warranted to add an additional method of acquisition. However, there is no real issue with the Kaineng Overlook Strike Mission that I'm aware of.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Majority of the items require only Open World PvE. You don't see constant whining from PvP/WvW/Raid/Whatever players when time and time again open world gets the most focus, but you see a lot of whining when something requires you to spend ~15 minutes outside of open world PvE

That could just be because of the popularity of each mode, could be each mode has different types of players and open-world folks whine more (lol), or could be the other game modes are so neglected they're just beaten down and don't speak up anymore.

Regardless, I don't see how making more people have less fun solves a thing. Adding an alternative doesn't take away the strike. If anything, it means you'd be less likely to see someone just there because they feel they have to be, and therefore woud be dragging your party down. I forget what it was, the decade stuff?, that required 10 pvp matches or something. Tons of people were just sitting mostly afk in pvp to get the requirement done. That doesn't sound good for any game mode player.

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

You do realize that exclusive rewards exist to bring people into different types of content, right?

Yes definitely I get why they do these things; and it probably works to get more people trying things they might actually like. But, in my opinion, it's a crappy way to do it quite often. You can make strikes rewarding and enticing to new players without blocking them from other rewards that really have nothing to do with strikes, in this example.

Legendaries requiring gift of battle etc. seem different to me as they are high prestige items that take a lot of work across game modes to acquire -- and it's known that that is what they are. Legendaries exist precisely so a player can show how they've somewhat mastered (or at least put time in) each game mode. I don't think the turtle mount falls under the same category, but if it's supposed to be the legendary mount it's fine if I never get it. But I'd argue the skyscale is more of a legendary mount and I got that without leaving my preferred game mode.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

19 minutes ago, araiya.5160 said:

Regardless, I don't see how making more people have less fun solves a thing. Adding an alternative doesn't take away the strike.

The turtle originally required a successful meta, people whined, everyone agreed that there needs to be an alternative. Someone mentioned how people will just whine about the Strike then and guess what. People are whining about the Strike instead now.

Also, on the note of "less fun", you know what's less fun? Seeing the endless whining from OW players that they need to do more than press "Loot" for something demanding an easy alternative for everything saying that pressing E is equivalent to everything else that might require you to look at the game instead of a movie or video.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Also, on the note of "less fun", you know what's less fun? Seeing the endless whining from OW players that they need to do more than press "Loot" for something demanding an easy alternative for everything saying that pressing E is equivalent to everything else that might require you to look at the game instead of a movie or video.

Sigh. That is probably what some are saying; I haven't seen it but then again I might not notice, lol. But that is NOT what I'm asking for. An alternative does not mean gimmegimmeeasyeasy. I got the turtle egg via the meta, but knowing I could get it another way if I just couldn't stand the meta or couldn't play during the right hours or whatever, well that was nice.

As far as I remember, this strike is basically a upped 10 man version of the story instance, correct? If so, why couldn't a hard-to-get acheivement in the story instance be an alternative?

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

21 minutes ago, araiya.5160 said:

Sigh. That is probably what some are saying; I haven't seen it but then again I might not notice, lol. But that is NOT what I'm asking for. An alternative does not mean gimmegimmeeasyeasy. I got the turtle egg via the meta, but knowing I could get it another way if I just couldn't stand the meta or couldn't play during the right hours or whatever, well that was nice.

As far as I remember, this strike is basically a upped 10 man version of the story instance, correct? If so, why couldn't a hard-to-get acheivement in the story instance be an alternative?

On the other hand, if you claim alternative does not mean gimmegimmeeasyeasy then just do the pve strike and get the reward. Not sure what the issue here is supposed to be?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

No issue. Just a simple request for an alternative. If the request is never fulfilled, fine.

I'm sorry this has just spiraled into circular arguments between us. Prolly should just give it a rest. Status quo favors your "side", so you win by default.

Edited by araiya.5160
  • Like 2