Holosmith Roaming

Silinsar.6298

It's been a long time since I last uploaded stuff and I'm mostly too busy or lazy to do fancy editing. So that will be... minimal.

On the flip side, I'm trying to limit this to watch-worthy encounters (no "I stomp noobs for breakfast"-montages) with ingame sound, whenever Shadowplay didn't screw it up. Here's the playlist:

Current build looks like this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAo6lNwoYiMPWKOsWZvPA-zVpYVBFAG6gY0U4xREE4cQCnRmKgelAG+iMiMUiEQaAt9aexoFA-w

Sometimes playing it more offensive or defensive, but the lack of stability, protection and a second stunbreak means I need defense for certain matchups.

The build relies on pressure, mobility, CC and blinds to win fights. The harder ones usually include enemies with stab, projectile hate or just a lot of iframes.

Lack of pressure from opponents gives you time to heal with combos or setup fields with mortar. The build features many rather short CDs so vs high pressure spikes (or phases in which your opponents can protect themselves) you're trying to kite and let them run out of options.

Anyway, enjoy.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, kai.5149 said:

Not anyone in particular. But there are plenty of thieves in wvw abusing the evade chaining - port spam, so I assume it will not be difficult to find several of those

I'd say with this build I win about 8-9 out of 10 fights against most thieves (in a straight 1vs1), with some rare exceptions. It's one of the better matchups for this build. If you want to see different results, I'm afraid you'll have to refer me to someone you deem competent.

I watched your vid against the 3 eles and while they definitely weren't the most competent eles I've seen by a decent margin, handling them as you did in the vid was still well done.  It does seem like a pretty decent well-rounded build from my non-engineer main perspective.  Nice to see something that doesn't rely on grenade kit too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dahkeus.8243 said:

I watched your vid against the 3 eles and while they definitely weren't the most competent eles I've seen by a decent margin, handling them as you did in the vid was still well done.  It does seem like a pretty decent well-rounded build from my non-engineer main perspective.  Nice to see something that doesn't rely on grenade kit too.

First one switched to Cata after respawning and obviously wasn't used to it (and overextended). Second one played too defensively, giving me time to go after the other one. Weaver with the initial build + more offensive Cata would have been problematic I think.

Edit: Added another clip:

Edited by Silinsar.6298
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Limbo.4087 said:

Very interesting, last time I'm ever seen battering ram it was old pepega condi scrapper. For me unexpectedly, this build copes with outnumbered situations. Nicely done

I remember there was a meme build that 2 engis made and they were playing near Fire Keep.

Like constantly pulling and knocking people in lava with those rams and then rifle - net shot immob them to burn in there and if they tried to come out, ram back in the lava.

It was hilarious to watch, can't find that clip.

• Haha 2

Very excellent build, I mainly run core engi in wvw (not for roaming) and have been interested in the capabilities of holosmith.

Can you tell me what's the idea behind using  Kinetic  battery in t3 traits of tools instead of Gadgeteer? To me it seems like you'd get even more use out of battering ram and you could switch to A.E.D for healing and gain access to even more stuns. Just curious if you experimented with it, I am much more experienced in blob killing than roaming and 1v1 fights

On 2/28/2023 at 9:31 AM, Dondarrion.9530 said:

Can you tell me what's the idea behind using  Kinetic  battery in t3 traits of tools instead of Gadgeteer? To me it seems like you'd get even more use out of battering ram and you could switch to A.E.D for healing and gain access to even more stuns. Just curious if you experimented with it, I am much more experienced in blob killing than roaming and 1v1 fights

I think the Quickness makes more of a difference than the PBR CD decrease. Having the 2 charges, and often periods of time where you can't use it effectively, lines up well enough.

A.E.D. is better suited for "all in" builds, imo. In attrition fights, giving your opponent the opportunity to nullify most of your heal skill, and giving up the access to an extra water field and more vigor uptime, wouldn't be my preference. There are many potential tweaks that might work better in specific fights, but generally, I'll stick to Kinetic Battery + Med Kit (the reduced CD on the TB heal is nice, and the extra healing, cond removal and boons from the kit skills hard to pass up on).

Also, added some new clips to the playlist.

Edited by Silinsar.6298

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...