Isn't it time for LWS2 to become permanently free?

Fleabite.7528

One reason they started bundling HoT with PoF (and then related, with EoD) was to reduce the odd combination of what features does someone have on an account.  I imagine EoD without mounts and gliders would be a different experience - but more so, it would require Anet to test that configuration (can someone play through on that?)

Living worlds added very little such content in comparison, which is why they still don't need to be bundled in order to play the game.

I do wonder how many sales of those Anet really gets - hard to imagine at this point in time that sales of LWS2 is at all significant, but maybe it still brings in enough that they don't want to throw it away.

The problem is that LW2 is an important narrative gap between F2P content and the first expansion, and new players tend to think that after F2P content comes directly HoT, so they buy HoT and don't understand a **** of what is happening in the story. They play the expansion wondering what is going on and suddenly discover that there is this mysterious expansion that is not called expansion that connect everything (I mean, come on, it's called "Living World Season 2", the first time I read it, in my ignorance, I thought it was some sort of premium pass for something or what). When I experienced this thing was even worst 'cause LW1 didn't exist anymore (or yet), and the narrative gap was terrifying, even with Ela's summary. For LW3 is a lesser problem because players generally already understand how it function at that point, but LW2 hole is kind of hard to swallow when you start HoT for the first time, and it is a reason to blame the developers.

A nice compromise could be that LW2 comes free if you buy HoT, or at least sell it together with HoT/PoF expansion adding 5 bucks to the price if they really doesn't want to lose money on it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/17/2023 at 8:36 AM, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

I full-heartedly agree with this. A bunch of my friends (who I usually play other games with) picked up GW2 to play with me a couple of months ago and most of them have purchased HoT/PoF.

Having to explain that despite paying for HoT/PoF they have to pay MORE money to fill in the story gap before they reach the HoT content is just really awkward. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth. We might end up just skipping LWS2 but that seems like a poor solution too as (apparently) it leaves a noticeable gap in the story.

Quoting myself for relevance.

Having now played LWS2 and gone into HoT with 3 family members I think LWS2 is really an excellent lead in to HoT. You could improve some things but it was my favorite LW episodes (surpassed by HoT but possibly better than the first half of LWS3 which has seemed a bit disjointed).

I have 4 other friends and family who have NOT purchased LWS2 and hence are now in HoT without that lead in. It's far inferior experience and they are less hooked than us on the story as a result. I strongly encourage Anet to make LWS2 included for free for anyone who has HoT.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1