Application Not Responding / Crash at Character Select - Temp Solution?

Ever since yesterday's patch, every time I've logged in the game locks at character select with an, "Application Not Responding" Windows error. I've noticed a few threads where people are having the same issue but didn't see a solution posted so here is what worked for me.

I simply launched the game with the -dx9 argument and was able to play normally. I've tested this a few times and the results were always the same: with the flag it works, take it away and it crashes at character select.

This wiki page will tell you how to set the attribute if you've never done it: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

If anyone at ArenaNet would like me to run any diagnostics to help track down the culprit please reach out as it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue and it's a literal game stopper.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TheV.9034 said:

Ever since yesterday's patch, every time I've logged in the game locks at character select with an, "Application Not Responding" Windows error. I've noticed a few threads where people are having the same issue but didn't see a solution posted so here is what worked for me.

I simply launched the game with the -dx9 argument and was able to play normally. I've tested this a few times and the results were always the same: with the flag it works, take it away and it crashes at character select.

This wiki page will tell you how to set the attribute if you've never done it: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

If anyone at ArenaNet would like me to run any diagnostics to help track down the culprit please reach out as it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue and it's a literal game stopper.

So GW2 isn't creating any crash dump file or crash log when this happen?

One thing you can try is to run the game with -log command line and then send the resultant %AppData%/Guild Wars2/Gw2.log file to support.  Also output of dxdiag.

Does your character have some sort of graphic asset like a special infusion or skin that perhaps the game is freaking out on under DX11?

Edited by Chaba.5410

There appeared to be no specific reason logged for the crash and dxdiag reported no problems.

Per the linked post, I ran sfc and it found / corrected some minor errors but that did not solve the issue.

Updating the NVIDIA drivers appears to have properly solved the problem, however.

I was using whatever Windows had as the latest for my hardware through device manager; I don't suspect many game players run older drivers which may explain why it's not wide spread.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and pointing me to the proper solution 🙂

Edited by TheV.9034