Very laggy performance with AMD RX 6700XT

Greetings,

I have recently upgraded my GTX1080 to an RX6700XT and oddly enough my game performance is a lot worse,
while artificially my FPS seems higher, gameplay is very choppy. the settings are not changed (1440p / maxed out settings, native rendering)
graphics drivers were cleaned with DDU prior to the upgrade but that didn't help.
Even did a fresh install of windows 10 on a new ssd, just the base OS, drivers and GW2 - nothing changes. it appears to be some issue with amd compatibility i guess
I've attached two videos which i have sent to AMD via bug report tool, hoping that the game engine devs notice this thread too.

thanks

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rotten.9753 said:

I have the similar problem when shadows are set to ultra, try lowering them to high.

Shouldn't have to lower details when upgrading from a gtx1080 to an rx6700xt, the newer card is much more powerful,
but regardless of that even under lowest details ("best performance") this choppy behavior is there...

5 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

You might consider contacting the Tech CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below.

Good luck. 

I did at one time, and they suggested to post on the forums since the devs visit here daily.
(granted that was for a suggestion and not a bug report, but alas)

Looks like the weird warping lag, it's been around for a while.

Happened to me with vsync enabled when opening the hero panel with my Vega 64.

Happens to me when hitting the frame cap (250 FPS) with my RX 6800 XT.

Try using Radeon Chill or RTSS to set an FPS cap of 240 if you're hitting the maximum.

Edit: Looks like using Radeon Chill with different Min and Max FPS can also cause stuttering in GW2.

Edited by Asur.2510

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem since upgrading from a GTX 970 to RX 6750 XT. It was running better with the previous graphics card even though it's 8-9 years old at this point.

I have had to resort to playing with my FoV at medium and have lowered the character model limit/quality.

My CPU usage (5600x) is at around 40%~ on a single thread with barely any GPU usage (500-700 core MHz and 50W of power draw), so my system isn't really being stressed, it's just not being used properly. If I play a graphically demanding game, my GPU draws around 250W.

I have tried adjusting a million things and eventually just gave up. Nothing I did had any positive effect.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2023 at 4:27 PM, generic.2463 said:

I have the same problem since upgrading from a GTX 970 to RX 6750 XT. It was running better with the previous graphics card even though it's 8-9 years old at this point.

I have had to resort to playing with my FoV at medium and have lowered the character model limit/quality.

My CPU usage (5600x) is at around 40%~ on a single thread with barely any GPU usage (500-700 core MHz and 50W of power draw), so my system isn't really being stressed, it's just not being used properly. If I play a graphically demanding game, my GPU draws around 250W.

I have tried adjusting a million things and eventually just gave up. Nothing I did had any positive effect.

Sup!

Yeah, I'm with the same issue. I have a R7 5700X and my old card was GTX 1660 TI. When I upgraded to a RX 6750 XT the problems starts. I can't even rotate my camera without stutterings. Just like you, i realize that my GPU usage goes to 60~70%, but her frequency core barely hits 700MHz.
Did you figured out, after this last month, how to solve the problem?

If I remember, the full version of Adrenalin driver has some options that "force" the GPU frequency. Did you tried those options? 

#edit

I tried to force GPU frequency to her top. Running at 2700~2800MHz and didn't work, memory frequency isn't possible to change, so...
I sent to the support some informations and videos comparing how smooth my GTX 1660 TI are (using Msi Afterburner) and how disappoint is playing with a AMD card, and guess what guys? One person at support team said me that might be MSI Afterburner overlay... Man, I was very angry seeing that...

Edited by Visbale.6951
update
  • Sad 1

On 7/24/2023 at 4:43 PM, Visbale.6951 said:

Sup!

Yeah, I'm with the same issue. I have a R7 5700X and my old card was GTX 1660 TI. When I upgraded to a RX 6750 XT the problems starts. I can't even rotate my camera without stutterings. Just like you, i realize that my GPU usage goes to 60~70%, but her frequency core barely hits 700MHz.
Did you figured out, after this last month, how to solve the problem?

If I remember, the full version of Adrenalin driver has some options that "force" the GPU frequency. Did you tried those options? 

#edit

I tried to force GPU frequency to her top. Running at 2700~2800MHz and didn't work, memory frequency isn't possible to change, so...
I sent to the support some informations and videos comparing how smooth my GTX 1660 TI are (using Msi Afterburner) and how disappoint is playing with a AMD card, and guess what guys? One person at support team said me that might be MSI Afterburner overlay... Man, I was very angry seeing that...

I didn't manage to solve it unfortunately. I lowered my settings to the point where it's just about playable now (lower than I had on my ancient GTX 970...), but I just put up with the awful performance.

I tried forcing a higher GPU frequency, that also didn't solve it for me, although I wouldn't consider that a real solution.

Here is a list of things I tried:

- DDU and various AMD driver versions - all similar performance
- Forcing higher GPU clock speeds
- Lowering my mouse polling rate to 250hz (it was 1000hz)
- Disabling FreeSync for GW2
- Enabling VSync in-game
- Various combinations of in-game options
- Disabling any and all overlays that might exist for various apps
- Various Windows settings (game mode, etc.) and registry hacks
- Disabling Radeon chill
- Using only one monitor
- Changing colour settings on a single monitor
- Disabling f.lux

I've settled on lowering character model limit to medium, having shadows off and setting my FOV to middle which is lower settings than I had on my GTX 970 with worse performance. The FOV being in the middle is the biggest loss for me, since everything feels really zoomed in.

I'll make an update in this thread if I ever solve it, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you.

• Confused 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hey fellow gamers,

I wanted to share my experience and a potential solution for those who might be facing a stuttering problem after upgrading to a 6700XT GPU. I encountered the same frustrating issue where turning the camera resulted in numerous small stutters, and despite trying various suggested fixes, the problem persisted to some extent. It's been a journey of trial and error, tweaking settings, adjusting clock frequencies, and even overclocking both the VRAM and the card itself. Yet, the stutters didn't completely vanish, and I was left somewhat disappointed.

For a while, I accepted the situation and lowered my graphic settings, even though it felt like a step back from my previous 1660 TI setup. However, I wasn't ready to give up, and I continued tinkering with settings every few weeks in the hope of finding a solution that would bring back the smooth gaming experience I craved.

Then, I stumbled upon something that truly made a difference for me. I decided to disable Freesync in the "Display" section of the Adrenaline software. The impact was astonishing – it was like night and day. Suddenly, games, especially GW2, were a joy to play again, and the smiles returned to my gaming sessions. The new GPU upgrade finally felt like the improvement it was meant to be.

I want to emphasize that I didn't abandon the other settings I had previously adjusted. The tweaks like modifying GPU frequency, clock speed, and memory latency remained in place. But the key was this Freesync adjustment that turned the situation around for me.

Of course, I understand that this might not be a one-size-fits-all solution. Different systems and configurations could yield varied results. However, if you're struggling with stuttering after a similar GPU upgrade, I urge you to give this a shot. Who knows, it might just be the missing piece to make your gaming experience as smooth as possible.

Stay gaming and best of luck!

did anyone try to delete the shader cache?

• Close your game completely.

• Browse your My Computer to: “C:\Users\YourComputerUserName”

• Then in the window menus, click on “Tools” then “Folder Options…”

• In the window that pops up, click the “View” tab

• Select to “Show hidden files, folders and drives” and click ‘OK’ (attached image #1)

• You should now see a folder in your file listing called “AppData”, open this folder

• Inside that folder open the “Local” folder

• Inside that folder open the “Temp” folder

• You should now see a folder called “gw2cache-{bunch-of-letters-and-numbers}”.

• Delete these gw2cache folder.

Edited by crazycookie.3247

• 8 months later...

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I also have a 6700XT and have the exact problem in the video. It's not settings because I can put them all at the lowest and it still happens. It's not freesync because I do not even have freesync turned on in my monitor so in AMD it says "Not supported." 

Really want to enjoy this game but don't want to get a new GPU to do so.

Thanks