Staff Master achievement on my ranger who never used a staff

Taylan.2187

I've been playing a vanilla ranger ever since I started the game, meaning I never once used a staff. (Maybe except from some weapons you can pick up.)Yet I seem to have made the MOST kills in the game with a staff! The Staff Master achievement shows about 4,5k kills, more than the longbow and greatsword which I otherwise use all the time.I've read on some old forum threads that there are some strange mechanics where for instance a necro well counts as a sword or so. I wonder what ranger skills count as a staff? Could it be some pet, or all pets?

My character is a sylvari, and nothing in the discussion page of Weapon Mastery could explain it, but I just went forth and tested whether it's the pet (as that was my biggest guess) and yup, apparently ranger pet kills count towards staff. Going to add this to the discussion page.

It's kinda funny because I've hit 4,666 kills already and looks like it will be the first Weapon Master achievement I'll have fully completed, despite never having used a staff!

Also shows how useful pets are. The only weapons I've used extensively in the game are LB, GS, and Axe, with which I have a total of ~9,200 kills. So from a total of ~13,900 kills, ~4,700 were by the pet, meaning about 31% of all my killing blows.

EDIT: Just noticed that a part of the page claims ranger pets count as greatsword. Maybe it depends on the pet...

@Taylan.2187 said:My character is a sylvari, and nothing in the discussion page of Weapon Mastery could explain it, but I just went forth and tested whether it's the pet (as that was my biggest guess) and yup, apparently ranger pet kills count towards staff. Going to add this to the discussion page.

Interesting I know engi's weapon kits counts as staff aswell never knew the pet thing though good i should have it soon lol. Be nice if pets would count as focus kills how bout a change anet? lol i have 1 focus kill been playing gw2 for 5 years lmao. (I dont play with squishy chars much aka spell casters)

@Taylan.2187 said:My character is a sylvari, and nothing in the discussion page of Weapon Mastery could explain it, but I just went forth and tested whether it's the pet (as that was my biggest guess) and yup, apparently ranger pet kills count towards staff. Going to add this to the discussion page.

It's kinda funny because I've hit 4,666 kills already and looks like it will be the first Weapon Master achievement I'll have fully completed, despite never having used a staff!

Also shows how useful pets are. The only weapons I've used extensively in the game are LB, GS, and Axe, with which I have a total of ~9,200 kills. So from a total of ~13,900 kills, ~4,700 were by the pet, meaning about 31% of all my killing blows.

EDIT: Just noticed that a part of the page claims ranger pets count as greatsword. Maybe it depends on the pet...

Thanks, I wondered what strange mechanic or bug was giving me credit for odd weapon kills.

For those curious, I tested all the pet "classes" I have so far (tested one or two pets per family like feline, canine, etc.) and figured out the following:Staff: Moa, Bear, Feline, Canine, Drake, Bird, Spider, Armor Fish, Jelly Fish, Drake (water), Shark, Feline (water), Bear (water)Hammer: Bristleback

So most are staff, but there are exceptions. The wiki claimed greatsword, which might be an exotic pet I don't have yet...

Archived