Returning Player - New Account (via Steam) vs Old Account?

Hey everyone!  I just reinstalled GW2 after quite a few years of not touching it.  I'm honestly not sure how long it's been (actually just checked, 10 years!!!).  I noticed GW2 gaining popularity on Steam and figured why not, I could pick it back up part-time since I'm not really gaming much these days.  I even bought the HoT / PoF Expansion bundle on Steam for it at "discount" since I had an unused $20 Steam gift card.  And then... I remembered that I already had an account.  So here I am, writing this post.

I only played one character to max level, a Thief (PvP was fuuun!), but might have also had one or two other lower level characters that I part-timed on for fun.  If I let my old character and original account die off and just use the new account via Steam, am I really losing anything?  Are there any account bound achievements, items, rewards, or privilege's that I am missing out on by not using my old account?  If not, then I'll just roll with the fresh start since I kind of like having all of my games tracked and easily accessed via Steam.  If I'm missing out on anything important, though, I'll refund my steam purchase of the expansions and bring the original account back up.

Edited by Barklight.7295
10 years!!!
  • Haha 1

If you have Guild Wars 1 (or want Guild Wars 1) and get achievements/rewards via the Hall of Monuments, you need an ArenaNet account. This is why I personally prefer an ArenaNet account over a Steam account. Also, the old account may already have achievements, some of which may not be available anymore because of changes in the game over the years.

17 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

If you have Guild Wars 1 (or want Guild Wars 1) and get achievements/rewards via the Hall of Monuments, you need an ArenaNet account. This is why I personally prefer an ArenaNet account over a Steam account. Also, the old account may already have achievements, some of which may not be available anymore because of changes in the game over the years.

Yep.  Got some additional answers on Reddit and the community Discord after I posted this.  Looks like refunding my Steam purchase and bringing back my old account is the right answer.  I picked up and played GW1 back in 2004 for several years too, so I'm sure I have something related to it in GW2, though I don't know where to find it lol.

10 minutes ago, Barklight.7295 said:

Yep.  Got some additional answers on Reddit and the community Discord after I posted this.  Looks like refunding my Steam purchase and bringing back my old account is the right answer.  I picked up and played GW1 back in 2004 for several years too, so I'm sure I have something related to it in GW2, though I don't know where to find it lol.

For the Hall of Monuments rewards you will need the Eye of the North expansion of Guild Wars 1 and having added specific items/titles/achievements there.

You can check if you have any in the HoM calculator: https://hom.guildwars2.com/en/

More about the HoM can be found in the GW1 Wiki: https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hall_of_Monuments