Does Deadeye Have Sustain?

Jianyu.7065

14 minutes ago, Jianyu.7065 said:

Title.

Just looking for some advice on this. I used to main DE, but have moved away from it. With recent changes, I wonder if I can pick it up again, but I don't want to waste my time if there isn't some sort of (semi)reliable sustain.

Thief has never had great sustain, with M7 you have perma protection if you use stealth attacks to reset malice and fill it constantly. Since they nerfed Invigorating precision in PvE (for no kittening reason) solo builds are even more dogshit than before.

You have low HPs, 0 damage mitigation abilities, and 4/6% lifesteal. This is it with thief

Edited by TheThief.8475
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, TheThief.8475 said:

Thief has never had great sustain, with M7 you have perma protection if you use stealth attacks to reset malice and fill it constantly. Since they nerfed Invigorating precision in PvE (for no kittening reason) solo builds are even more dogshit than before.

You have low HPs, 0 damage mitigation abilities, and 4/6% lifesteal. This is it with thief

That's pretty much how I remember things being when I decided to try another class. I've just heard tell that with Quickness being tossed in now that it's a bit better than it was so, I thought I'd see about if it's worth my time or not.

3 minutes ago, Jianyu.7065 said:

That's pretty much how I remember things being when I decided to try another class. I've just heard tell that with Quickness being tossed in now that it's a bit better than it was so, I thought I'd see about if it's worth my time or not.

Well there is a problem IMO which is: damage is quite higher (you still have a lot of might and fury + quickness), but you lose protection, which makes you a oneshot if you run berserker gear. For example a bandit leader (champion) in kessex hills managed to oneshot me with their projectile attack lol

With the old invigorating precision and the loads of damage you do compared to before you could outheal in many situations, but now, I guess it can work in most situations, but if you want to solo champion, bosses etc, still dogshit tier

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheThief.8475 said:

Well there is a problem IMO which is: damage is quite higher (you still have a lot of might and fury + quickness), but you lose protection, which makes you a oneshot if you run berserker gear. For example a bandit leader (champion) in kessex hills managed to oneshot me with their projectile attack lol

With the old invigorating precision and the loads of damage you do compared to before you could outheal in many situations, but now, I guess it can work in most situations, but if you want to solo champion, bosses etc, still dogshit tier

Yeah. kitten - it's such a fun class though. But the reality I've noticed is that, since I've transitioned over to Renegade, being able to survive content just makes the game more enjoyable. Period. I liked DE for the rifle and the constant positioning but you're positioning so much just to stay alive that eventually you make a mistake and it's over. 

Unfortunately, heavy armor fashion wars suck.

Edited by Jianyu.7065

6 hours ago, Jianyu.7065 said:

Just looking for some advice on this. I used to main DE, but have moved away from it. With recent changes, I wonder if I can pick it up again, but I don't want to waste my time if there isn't some sort of (semi)reliable sustain.

Yes if we talk about PvE. De doesn't have powerful sustain in it self, but it does have stealth. Shadow arts has leeching venoms. There we go. This is what I have cooked up. Very fun build. If you want to camp rifle you maybe want to shuffle some traits in DE. Double dagger does go more frequently in stealth and has some initiative to use death blossom as an extra dodge, so that is a good defensive option. Free utility is a cantrip of your choice to keep quickness up. If you do something hard you have two options for Protection.

Edited by SlayerXX.7138
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jianyu.7065 said:

Title.

Invigorating precision is quite good for sustain if you are at crit cap. Honestly it feels a lot like spellbreaker's sun and moon offhand although it works differently.

D/D has similar DPS to rifle and better sustain. You also an emergency extra evade as someone else already explained. For utilities you can use shadow flare defensively to reposition as well. Thief skills allow a lot of creativity.

bQobQ gives close dps to M7s with a lot better reliability and its much easier to play. You can swap to rifle too if needed. 

Currently Quick DPS deadeye is overpowered with multiple permutations. You won't get a better chance to explore in the future.

DE has pretty good ini sustain thanks to M7 which is the only actually good ini reg trait thief has access to (the rest ranges from "underwhelming" to "it's either supposed to be a bad joke or an insult, not exactly sure what but probably both").

5 hours ago, xellink.7568 said:

Invigorating precision is quite good for sustain if you are at crit cap

It used to be "quite good" but now it's rather underheming, especially for a GM trait and compared to the alternative.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2023 at 6:13 PM, Jianyu.7065 said:

See new video from Lord Hizen) D/D self dps - 20k and facetanking 😉 you live when you kill )

Sustain for thief is a bit different than for other professions, imo. By design, the rogue / assassin / thief class will always be somewhat squishy, but rely on mobility / evading damage more than anything else. Since we have a lot of ways to turn initiative into mobility, you can consider ini regen part of your sustain - which makes Maleficent Seven great, as it gives a ton of initiative.

Aside from that, Maleficent Seven grants you Protection and Regen, adding to more traditional sustain. Also, marked targets deal less damage to you.

Outside of that, the Deadeye trait line does not provide sustain directly, but Silent Scope arguably provides the best access to stealth you can get on a thief. Add in Shadow Meld and this makes Deadeye arguably the best style of thief to utilize Shadow Arts.

Shadow Arts grants you a sizeable heal both when you enter or leave stealth, as well as remove damage conditions. It grants Superspeed (mobility = avoid damage). You gain stacks of Venom, which siphons health, and so does your stealth attacks. Lastly, entering or leaving stealth grants initiative, which you can use defensively.

So Deadeye actually has a lot of sustain if you build for it. Either by using full dps trait lines, but utilizing boons and high initiative regen for reactive defenses (and here you can always turn all that initiative into damage when you're not in danger). Or by using an actual defensive trait line to synergize with Deadeye, allowing for actual healing sustain. You can go all out with both, and add in Invigorating Precision from Critical Strikes and use Signet of Malice if you really want to.

You have plenty of sustain, but most people prefer not to use it since you still won't facetank as hard as professions more designed for it, and in general, why even bother when you can just trait for damage all the way and use all the evading to survive?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...