Awful wizard tower / amnytas fps drops with shadows above low [Merged]

zaw.6741

So.. do we know why changing shadows to anything above off/low butchers 10-20fps for no reason (cpu/gpu usage barely changes, but fps drops and stutters)?

Here is small comparison sample (low vs ultra, but on medium/high its just as bad as on ultra)

https://imgur.com/a/02B46ya

The hardware is not an issue (5800x3d, rtx 4070, 64gb of ram). As can be seen, % in cpu/gpu usage is +- the same, gpu is kinda sleeping (it can go up to 200w and does so no problem in other games doing 90-99% utilization) and is heavily underutilized.

The problem does not occur in skywatch (or old maps, maybe to lower degree in kaineng), or at least not to the point of noticing it - its the tower and amnytas. Not only lower avg fps, but also rotating camera is stuttery mess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

The expac has been out for a month and every time i visit amnytas and the tower i have to avert my gaze lest my frames drop to unplayability. Seriously as soon as i look towards the maps instead of the edges if the maps my frame nearly halve if not more than halve.

This kind of performance is honestly a joke and it boggles my mind we havent seen it addressed. I dont know myself whats wrong and ive heard various claims, such as culling being broken in these maps, but whatever it is it makes the game unplayable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Biziut.3594 said:

So it is the shadows. I didn't knew what is causing it, I really doubted it is my PC coz I do not have any problems on any other maps. So I thought maybe it's bad optimalization.

well it is bad optimization / some artifical limitations (shadows are computed on gpu, yet gpu cores/memory utilization doesnt go up, just ~20ish frames land in garbage bin, without even trying to push the hardware). i thought dx11 migration was to avoid situations like that

i wonder if its any better on top of the line gpus (4080/90/7900)

Edited by zaw.6741
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zaw.6741 said:

well it is bad optimization / some artifical limitations (shadows are computed on gpu, yet gpu cores/memory utilization doesnt go up, just ~20ish frames land in garbage bin, without even trying to push the hardware). i thought dx11 migration was to avoid situations like that

i wonder if its any better on top of the line gpus (4080/90/7900)

It probably is. My friend have one od this high end gpu and says it is working as it normally do.

• Sad 1

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to Awful wizard tower / amnytas fps drops with shadows above low [Merged]