Shields don't feel super defensive.

On 12/5/2023 at 4:03 PM, Antycypator.9874 said:

Every skill that can block for 2-3s should be reworked into block for 1s, but with 2-3 charges, so you can block more frequently. Would it be better?

Absolutely not… 1s block is completely useless, even with 2-3s block timing has to be precise to make block actually work. If you reduce the duration of block to only 1s then the likelihood of your block being completely wasted increases to a near certainty.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2023 at 7:01 AM, ShadowStep.3640 said:

Yes you are right if referring to PVE, but in WvW (dont play SPVP so cant say) Shield is meta on a lot of mesmer builds. Chrono commanders for zergs are very common and they all run shield. I run a power Virt build meant to blow someone up and i still run shield due to how powerful the number 4 skill is. 

Shields in PVE are weak but thats because the game has, over the years, moved away from everyone providing their own survivability to having roles provide that for you. When you have someone in your instanced group pumping aegis and healing out of course shield is not going to be much use. In Openworld content its a matter of taste, and in all other content it just depends. 

People dont understand that not every weapon needs to be meta or even viable in every situation. To have that reality be true would be to make all weapons boring and lacking in character and depth. 

This exactly. Mesmer shield is essential for my power virt and support chrono in WvW. And not only is it essential, I also love it - great defense and shield 5 also has great offensive use.

I also run shield on my support firebrand and wouldn't want to miss it!

Can't speak to other classes...yet...shield there may well need some work, I wouldn't know.