Ele's Earth Signet passive effect broken?

Ok, so maybe this is my confusion. After activation, it does show a boost in toughness near 15%, which in a dirty calculation I presumed might equate to around 10% less damage, making it look like the +tougheness/damage efect was only given on activation.

It didn't cross my mind that the -10% damage effect was invisible and the added toughness on activation the bug.

p.s. and it does say "Signet Passive: Improves toughness." despite mentioning below -10% Incoming Damage. 

Edited by Sepher Yetzirah.4615
Added detail

The passive effect was changed with a game update this year. It still gives protection but no longer via toughness but via direct damage reduction. The reason for this was an unwanted side effect with toughness-based tanking of (raid) bosses. An elementalist playing DPS may have this passive on and get more toughness than the tank after which the raid boss would go for the ele instead. It should roughly grant the same passive protection.

June 27, 2023
  • The passive effect no longer grants toughness and instead reduces incoming strike damage. Reduced cooldown from 25 seconds to 15 seconds in PvE and from 25 seconds to 20 seconds in PvP and WvW.

1 hour ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

The passive effect was changed with a game update this year. It still gives protection but no longer via toughness but via direct damage reduction. The reason for this was an unwanted side effect with toughness-based tanking of (raid) bosses. An elementalist playing DPS may have this passive on and get more toughness than the tank after which the raid boss would go for the ele instead. It should roughly grant the same passive protection.

Understood. I do play too casually and don't often keep up with all the changes in updates. That being the case, with the change implemented, then it justs needs a UI cleanup.