Desperately need ability to change the Escape key to something else.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the escape key on my keyboards is RIGHT next to the F1 key. Which means I go to activate the function of my ranger companion, and hit escape by accident which pulls up an "exit the game" or "pull up arenanet webpage" right in the middle of a battle, and I've either inadvertently exited the game or lost focus right in the middle of a battle. 

I do not see the justification for this single key to be absolutely, utterly, locked into that single usage, begging for issues like this to happen.

I grasp, you don't want someone to inadvertently block themselves off from it, but SOME alternative, like hitting it 3x in rapid succession should be an option somewhere in the "controls" function. I can't imagine a time when THAT would be an obnoxious option, as I am never in a massive hurry to activate any of those function. 

This is REALLY an obnoxious problem. I do it with a ranger constantly. You can easily see how it is not an even remotely unlikely miskey, since your hands are well away from the function row and can reach up a key off quite easily. If you hit the wrong function key, that's not that big a deal. But leaving the game suddenly is a serious problem., and, with a ranger, you are often reaching up to hit the F1,2,3 keys.

Edited by Jaxson.1593
clarification
  • Confused 3

You can also use a myriad of third-party scripting tools (web search something like "how to remap a keyboard" to explore for one that suits your system and needs) to rebind your Escape key into something non-disruptive, for instance rebinding it to F1 since you accidentally hit it when hitting the original F1 key

• Like 1
  • Haha 1