Skyscale "Rift Repair" Mastery

Air Rescue and Wall Launch are 2 of the original masteries for the Skyscale, both of which are incorporated into the new SotO masteries Who Rescues Whom? and Wall Spring respectively. You don't need the original masteries (and if you have them both unlocked, you get a slightly more powerful version of that ability). Rift Repair, however, doesn't seem to be present anywhere in the new track.

Secrets of the Obscure introduced a new and streamlined way to unlock the Skyscale mount. This is the way I used to unlock the mount, expecting the same Skyscale experience as someone who unlocked the mount the original way (plus the new masteries introduced in SotO), which is mostly true, as 2 out of the 3 original masteries are in fact present and useable.

The question: for me to unlock Rift Repair, does that mean I need to effectively unlock the Skyscale the original way, is there a very specific Skyscale collection that I need to do, or is this perhaps hidden away in some other SotO mastery track or NPC interaction. It feels extremely overkill to go over the original unlocking process JUST to get the one single missing ability, especially since it is a significantly longer and more wildly expensive process.

According to the wiki, to unlock Rift Repair (and the other 2 original masteries): "unlock and complete the Skyscale mount collections from Living World Season 4". It however does not specify any specific one, implying its included/part of the original unlocking route and comes naturally in the process. (I do have all the S4 episodes unlocked. I did make a humble beginning to unlocking the Skyscale the original way, long before SotO was announced, but quickly dropped it after realizing just how expensive it would be and how long it would take me with what I had at that time.)

3 hours ago, Dinosaur.9405 said:

The question: for me to unlock Rift Repair, does that mean I need to effectively unlock the Skyscale the original way, is there a very specific Skyscale collection that I need to do, or is this perhaps hidden away in some other SotO mastery track or NPC interaction. It feels extremely overkill to go over the original unlocking process JUST to get the one single missing ability, especially since it is a significantly longer and more wildly expensive process.

According to the wiki, to unlock Rift Repair (and the other 2 original masteries): "unlock and complete the Skyscale mount collections from Living World Season 4". It however does not specify any specific one, implying its included/part of the original unlocking route and comes naturally in the process. (I do have all the S4 episodes unlocked. I did make a humble beginning to unlocking the Skyscale the original way, long before SotO was announced, but quickly dropped it after realizing just how expensive it would be and how long it would take me with what I had at that time.)

Rift repair is a mastery for the Skyscale from the mastery line of PoF:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Path_of_Fire_mastery_tracks#Skyscale_Mount

In order to get access to the Skyscale mastery line in PoF, you need to go through the Skyscale unlock process completely (aka you need to unlock the Skyscale there).

In order to be able to unlock the PoF/Season 4 Skyscale, you need all Season 4 episodes.

If this is in regard to unlocking the legendary trinket Vision: yes you need to unlock the Skyscale via Season 4 in order to be able to acquire that legendary. Unlocking the Skyscale via SotO is not sufficient.

As far as "only" Rift Mastery being locked, the original Skyscle mastery track enhances some of the Skyscale abilities (or vice versa) if both masteries are owned. To be specific:

1. Learn to mount the skyscale in midair to save yourself while falling.

If you also have the Air Rescue Skyscale Mount Mastery trained, your skyscale may gain the Bond of Vigor effect shortly after mounting in midair.

2. Learn to spring off walls with your skyscale, providing a moment of respite and ability to fly to greater heights. If you also have the Wall Launch Skyscale Mount Mastery trained, this ability charges faster and launches farther when fully charged.

So while Rift Mastery is the only completely unique ability, the developers made sure to give some benefit to having both masteries unlocked and mastered.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dinosaur.9405 said:

quickly dropped it after realizing just how expensive it would be and how long it would take me with what I had at that time

It costs less than 100 gold and it takes 4 days... and that's because of time gates, call it a week to be generous..

But since we're talking about masteries they really should change Bond of Vigor to a twice usable ability instead of leaving one on a timer that more often than not comes up when you don't need it. Let's remember that the wall grab was bugged until the very last SotO episode, that's how much they care for the people that did the original content.

15 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Rift repair is a mastery for the Skyscale from the mastery line of PoF:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Path_of_Fire_mastery_tracks#Skyscale_Mount

In order to get access to the Skyscale mastery line in PoF, you need to go through the Skyscale unlock process completely (aka you need to unlock the Skyscale there).

In order to be able to unlock the PoF/Season 4 Skyscale, you need all Season 4 episodes.

If this is in regard to unlocking the legendary trinket Vision: yes you need to unlock the Skyscale via Season 4 in order to be able to acquire that legendary. Unlocking the Skyscale via SotO is not sufficient.

As far as "only" Rift Mastery being locked, the original Skyscle mastery track enhances some of the Skyscale abilities (or vice versa) if both masteries are owned. To be specific:

1. Learn to mount the skyscale in midair to save yourself while falling.

If you also have the Air Rescue Skyscale Mount Mastery trained, your skyscale may gain the Bond of Vigor effect shortly after mounting in midair.

2. Learn to spring off walls with your skyscale, providing a moment of respite and ability to fly to greater heights. If you also have the Wall Launch Skyscale Mount Mastery trained, this ability charges faster and launches farther when fully charged.

So while Rift Mastery is the only completely unique ability, the developers made sure to give some benefit to having both masteries unlocked and mastered.

Would you say its worth the time and gold to also unlock it the original way since I'm effectively just doing it for the last mastery. Taking a look at the wiki it doesn't seem like closing rifts is anything too essential nor super rewarding. Unless it has some kind of major benefit I'm unaware of.

On 6/17/2024 at 3:10 AM, Dinosaur.9405 said:

Rift Repair, however, doesn't seem to be present anywhere in the new track.

Rift Repair has nothing to do with SoTo.  There will be 1-3 "rifts" in most core, pof, lw4 and IBS zones (see https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Reality_Rift) but none in zones for HoT, LW2 or 3, EoD, or SoTo.  Basically hover your skyscale in one and it gives you a "orb trail" which allows you to traverse a very large chunk of the map in 1 direction only because each orb refreshes the altitude resources.  The orbs also provide volatile magic or karma.  

The mastery is needed for acquiring the legendary trinket Vision but you also need https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trance_Stone but so is LW4.