Revenant Shield and Axe: Balancing for More Options

wesly.6497

Weapons for the Revenant are becoming more diverse, but shield and axe are lagging behind in competitive play.

Shield Issues:

The "Hardening Persistence" trait (Herald specialization) is great for PvP and WvW because it removes conditions. However, without it on other specializations, shields become a less attractive option.

Suggestion:

Move "Hardening Persistence" to a core specialization trait or make its effect apply to shields by default. This would give Revenants more defensive options and consistent condition removal.

"Crystal Hibernation" Shield Skill:

This skill needs a buff. Adding a self-stun break would be helpful, but might be too strong.

Suggestion:

Consider adding a self stunbreak. In my opinion, this will be a more viable skill in competitive play, to make a reliable “pause” in the middle of the fight, and prevent interrupts while healing allies in PvE without making the skill overpowered since it immobilizes the player.

Revenant Axe:

The axe is currently weak in PvP and WvW, mainly used as a condition damage off-hand weapon. It needs a buff to be more competitive.

Suggestion:

Make the axe a more hybrid damage weapon by adding some power damage. This would give Revenants more offensive weapon variety. However, it's important to ensure these buffs do not overshadow the sword as a main power option.

Overall, these changes would give Revenants more flexibility in choosing weapons for their playstyle.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Temporal Rift -if he left a rift and it pulsed x4 causing physical damage and applied for example Chilled and Venerability I guess it would be much better.

Frigid Blitz -one of all the skills with shadowstep is not enough evade in the skill

Edited by wesly.6497

40 minutes ago, wesly.6497 said:

Temporal Rift -if he left a rift and it pulsed x4 causing physical damage and applied for example Chilled and Venerability I guess it would be much better.

Frigid Blitz -one of all the skills with shadowstep is not enough evade in the skill

Temporal Rift suggestion is nice the moment target gets pulled.

Frigiz blitz, a good suggestion is hard bc they kittened this one up from start kinda hehe

1 hour ago, wesly.6497 said:

Weapons for the Revenant are becoming more diverse, but shield and axe are lagging behind in competitive play.

Shield Issues:

The "Hardening Persistence" trait (Herald specialization) is great for PvP and WvW because it removes conditions. However, without it on other specializations, shields become a less attractive option.

Suggestion:

Move "Hardening Persistence" to a core specialization trait or make its effect apply to shields by default. This would give Revenants more defensive options and consistent condition removal.

"Crystal Hibernation" Shield Skill:

This skill needs a buff. Adding a self-stun break would be helpful, but might be too strong.

Suggestion:

Consider adding a self stunbreak. In my opinion, this will be a more viable skill in competitive play, to make a reliable “pause” in the middle of the fight, and prevent interrupts while healing allies in PvE without making the skill overpowered since it immobilizes the player.

Revenant Axe:

The axe is currently weak in PvP and WvW, mainly used as a condition damage off-hand weapon. It needs a buff to be more competitive.

Suggestion:

Make the axe a more hybrid damage weapon by adding some power damage. This would give Revenants more offensive weapon variety. However, it's important to ensure these buffs do not overshadow the sword as a main power option.

Overall, these changes would give Revenants more flexibility in choosing weapons for their playstyle.

Shield condi cleanse by default, no traits.

And being able to move while blocking with shield.

And then shield is fine and nobody should have complaints about it

4 minutes ago, arazoth.7290 said:

Shield condi cleanse by default, no traits.

And being able to move while blocking with shield.

And then shield is fine and nobody should have complaints about it

Except every other class that can use shield. That combination of functionality and movement on a 3s block is crazy buff.

59 minutes ago, vilesoldier.9826 said:

Except every other class that can use shield. That combination of functionality and movement on a 3s block is crazy buff.

Well for my part the condi cleanse is enough, since I have no problem even atm with the stuck animation.

I was just talking generally around here that want all to stop the ...... about shield

Evony should be instant cast (but still has travel time), half the healing amount and protection time to compensate. Most other specs are gaining aegis instantly/passively, or a proc from something else, a 3/4 cast on evony is not reactive enough as a block compared to most others. I think reduced haeling/protection but gaining a more reactive block is better as team or self utlity.

If crystal was given default condi cleanse, then I think it should remain as a stationary ability, as it is now doing 2 strong functions at the same time. The real issue I find with cystal is how oppressive unblockables are, since rev has very few blocks and depends on them a lot. I personally think it should not be effected by unblockables, remain stationary on use, and condi cleanse by default.

Axe 4 should daze on succesful hit (+condi dmg), it is desperately needed, if the enemy is stab bursting, axe 5 is pointles, and you don't have shield 5. Alternatively axe 4 could be an evade, so you have some form of dmg mitigation to potentially wait out the stab with a good dodge also. The daze would be better for dueling, while the evade would be better in group fights. I would personally say axe is more of an offensive weapon, and should probably be geared toward single target daze.

Scepter, I would rather they just remove the barrier and add condi dmg, including poison, so that it is more functional for both power and/condi builds. It feels like a poor mash up of thief scepter and ranger maces. We already have a staff and other weapons geared toward support, I don't see the need for another. However, if it is intended to be a support weapon, and at its current aweful range, then it again needs something like daze or stab to keep up with other specs. I could say buff the barrier amount, but that is brainded sustain and not something I want to rely on, just smash button and get face tank barrier? na.

What actually is scepters purpose, a support or a duelist weapon?

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, wesly.6497 said:

Suggestion:

It currently already is a Power Condi Hybrid. Maybe you're asking for a stronger Power coefficient but it's not needed. What it needs is a stronger Axe 5 CC which enables Power mainhands and Condi mainhands to better apply their damage. It's currently a draw toward a center line but it would be much better if it was a cone shaped pull toward the Revenant. 

As for shield, it needs CC, not a stunbreak. 

What'd I'll prefer is the ability for the player to recast Shield 5 preemptively to break the stance and knock enemies around them down. Would make the skill a strong defense + punishment skill and also give Revenant more defiance damage on a supportive offhand. 

Shield 4 should be made a cone shaped blast of healing energy that applies its boons, removing the slow and clunky projectile. A cone shaped blast similar to a Firebrand's Mantra would be much more intuitive to use in combat. 

Edited by Yasai.3549

4 minutes ago, Yasai.3549 said:

It currently already is a Power Condi Hybrid. Maybe you're asking for a stronger Power coefficient but it's not needed. What it needs is a stronger Axe 5 CC which enables Power mainhands and Condi mainhands to better apply their damage. It's currently a draw toward a center line but it would be much better if it was a cone shaped pull toward the Revenant. 

As for shield, it needs CC, not a stunbreak. 

What'd I'll prefer is the ability for the player to recast Shield 5 preemptively to break the stance and knock enemies around them down. Would make the skill a strong defense + punishment skill and also give Revenant more defiance damage on a supportive offhand. 

Shield 4 should be made a cone shaped blast of healing energy that applies its boons, removing the slow and clunky projectile. A cone shaped blast similar to a Firebrand's Mantra would be much more intuitive to use in combat. 

Shield 4 cone shape like mantra? That's more cluncky then the unblockable projectile. You have more freedom throwing it at the location you want then cone shapes.

In pve instance there should be zero problem landing this + you also have quickness there to make the cast time even faster.

WvW hardly a problem too, hard to miss the required allies.

PvP the only thing tricky about when an ally goes superspeed kiting modus and even then I land it 90% of the time succesfull. I play support in pvp a lot and it's hardly a problem to land it in time/on the required place or allies.

They already fastened the projectile speed up enough which I find fantastic/ a lot more reliable that I rarely misuse it. So no for cone on this

8 hours ago, arazoth.7290 said:

Frigiz blitz, a good suggestion is hard bc they kittened this one up from start kinda hehe

8 hours ago, arazoth.7290 said:

Posted (edited)

All weapons for all elite specs have been unlocked, so they need to be removed trait for a shield that only the Herald can remove condi there is no point in other specs taking him.

Edited by wesly.6497
  • Like 4

Probably the most optimal thing for an ax is to make a full-fledged teleport at skill 4 without targeting at 900 m, like a thief's bow and when it hits the teleport point, it applies condi on 3 targets. Temporal Rift- pulsed x4 causing physical damage and  Chilled and Venerability without CC 

20 minutes ago, wesly.6497 said:

Probably the most optimal thing for an ax is to make a full-fledged teleport at skill 4 without targeting at 900 m, like a thief's bow and when it hits the teleport point, it applies condi on 3 targets. Temporal Rift- pulsed x4 causing physical damage and  Chilled and Venerability without CC 

Bigger temporal rift then

9 hours ago, arazoth.7290 said:

Shield 4 cone shape like mantra? That's more cluncky then the unblockable projectile. You have more freedom throwing it at the location you want then cone shapes.

I value the speed of the cones though, and the cones were recently buffed and they feel good there. It feels almost like a semi circle now. The projectile crawling across the screen is terrible for me to provide any emergency Aegis or healing to someone not on stack. 

3 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

I value the speed of the cones though, and the cones were recently buffed and they feel good there. It feels almost like a semi circle now. The projectile crawling across the screen is terrible for me to provide any emergency Aegis or healing to someone not on stack. 

I rather have the versatility where you can toss it.

But if many still find it a problem on demand, increase the velocity travel speed rather so that's more on demand. The cast time with quickness 0,25 seconds I don't see as problem, only the Velocity travel speed then.

8 hours ago, wesly.6497 said:

All weapons for all elite specs have been unlocked, so they need to be removed trait for a shield that only the Herald can remove condi there is no point in other specs taking him.

Piercing was made as an integral part of shortbow's skills regardless of the spec. Shield and condi cleansing should receive a similar treatment.

• Like 2