An easy fix to blobbing.

On 7/10/2024 at 11:56 AM, Gop.8713 said:

Or they want to make sure their game isn't any fun to play? Or could it be bc they want to make wvw noob friendly? Most of the things experienced players want changed would make it more difficult for new players

I'm not really sure about this. I mean, to be clear, I definitely think that running around with a group is one of the best ways for new players to learn about WvW. But I don't think we need them to be in unkillable boonblobs to learn the ropes. I feel like that's a bit insulting to new players, as if they'd be too incompetent at grasping anything unless they're being hand held by a zerg that's nigh invincible.

At least when servers were still a thing, there were groups ran by pugmanders for the specific purpose of training new players. I feel like that was a better way of introducing them to the game mode. But since Anet decided to kill the communities that enabled those types of activities to exist, then I feel like they don't actually care about giving a better new player experience.

In fact, as someone else have already pointed out, the prominence of boonballs have actually made the experience of new players worse by making them victims of unmitigated curb stomping. Also, I have played alongside others who spent their time mainly running with these zergs, who have no idea how to play the other parts of WvW. Like using siege properly, repairing, defending in general, using tactics efficiently, reading the information on the map, etc. Obviously not Anet's fault if players don't try to learn things for themselves outside of these zerg activities, but if boonballs are the only thing they see (which it will be with our current trajectory) then yeah, we're kind of encouraging them to just care about that aspect of the game.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/11/2024 at 9:13 PM, Johje Holan.4607 said:

The Blob Bomb.  

The more people in close proximity, the more damage they take.  Two people together, barely a tickle. 40 people stacked on top of each other, instant down. 

An analog from ESO that won't actually change anything. Organized groups will farm randoms even more effectively due to it, clusters of random players will fall from one unexpected bomber. The meta will be even thicker setups to re-sustain those blasts.

On 7/11/2024 at 7:13 PM, Johje Holan.4607 said:

The more people in close proximity, the more damage they take.  Two people together, barely a tickle. 40 people stacked on top of each other, instant down. 

This doesn't do much. All it does make groups think "which player to kick" rather than "what kind of player to add". Eventually all you end up with is hyperoptimized groups and 99% of players unwanted by anyone.

Edited by Riba.3271