Spear builds for open world

So far I have just replaced scepter/warhorn with spear on a Fresh Air power Tempest build and it’s working just fine. Slightly longer range, less CC and passive defenses but overall it’s not much different. The only challenge is that you’re really in melee range to optimize the overload damage anyway, so you’re either running spear for something different or because you like the animations more, both of which are fine for casual OW builds. 

11 minutes ago, cardwitch.5731 said:

I've personally been having fun using power catalyst with it - but seeing the number of people opting for tempest I might give it a shot.

I’m sure Catalyst is fine too, I just personally find tempest easier because the overloads are long enough that it slows down the APM and that makes everything much easier. It buys me time to figure out my next move or to focus on kiting while it channels. 

On 8/20/2024 at 5:14 PM, Mini Crinny.6190 said:

Anyone have any fun builds that use spear? and that gets you through the content in a decent way

Not even worth.. the dmg is TOO LOW for all modes.. unless anet gives spear a HUGE BUFF its trash jus like rif mes.. The animation is rlly nice thow, maybe we can make mobs and players to run with the atk animation? LOLOLOLOL 🤣

18 minutes ago, the krytan assassin.9235 said:

For open world i'd recommend using a spear in either hammer catalyst or scepter/dagger Tempest/cata as a secondary weapon. For optimal use id recommend to  never swap off your primary weapon because spear is complete garbage in open world. 

In fact all modes..

• Confused 1

if you specifically want to enjoy spear, youll probably want to run core ele. tempest is just the usual overload spam but with spear and unless you know what youre doing, weaver and catalyst will end up in misery and hardly better than running core. id strongly recommend running water to support a glassier setup

obviously it wont be doing amazing golem dps, but its open world “where everything works” and youre mainly concerned about dealing with 20-40k hp squishy trash mobs anyway. sometimes comboing some #2’s and #4’s is already enough and etching is not always required (particularly fire etch as it is very delayed and ineffective against small moving targets that are already about to die)

spear has some impressive base sustain potential which only gets crazier with combos but seems to be massively overlooked. this really allows you to run full glass without caring, particularly in post-eod content where trash now does considerably less damage. there are a few other unique things in its kit (for an ele weapon) such as the ability to pull enemies together and keep them disabled for 7-9s straight without nuking your damage

imo spear is actually a solid weapon by itself that gets screwed over/overshadowed by how the especs work. i would compare this to pistol which piggybacks hard off from tempest and other interactions, but is largely unimpressive by itself

remember: always expect disappointment when attempting use volcano (fire etch)

• Like 1