Mabon and Janthir Wilds

So to start, I have to say that I loved what we got of Janthir Wilds' story so far. The old characters were written in a far more interesting manner from the get-go (I liked Isgarren so much more from his very first words) and the new characters also feel more fleshed. This increased connection to characters new and old also includes a lot of post-mortem knowledge about Mabon.

And it makes me so bitter.

Whenever we learn something about him, all I can think is "that would have been cool to actually see from him". He was by far the most interesting character in Secrets of the Obscure, and had the biggest connection to Nayos, which we did not get to see explored. He ALSO has the biggest connection of the wizards to Janthir (you can argue Waiting Sorrow, but come one). No matter how much they give us about him, it will hardly amount to anything unless we retcon his death as a fakeout, which I am quite literally begging for. For all his power and expertise he died to a random kryptis we barely see, it's just pathetic.

I am incredibly hopeful for Janthir Wilds, but I don't think this stain is ever gonna let up unless they bring him back in some way. We have plenty of connections to the dead: ghosts, the mist warriors, and so on, so it isn't impossible. I get this could make death feel like less of a consequence, but death is only an effective consequence if done well, and here it just wasn't.

Bring the man back.

• Like 1