Idea for defense & siege (refreshing)

danceswithducks.5069

Dear (J)Anet,

I was wondering if it would be possible to add some kind of temporary iron hide buff any time you refreshed siege? If one piece is refreshed already within the 1 hour time period, it doesn't give the buff to prevent everyone just using the same one piece (gives some kind of error message), but if one is 40 minutes or less on refresh it gives the buff?

The buff would work like the one you get at maxed out Ram specs, Iron Hide, and would last 30 minutes.

What do you think? It would help with defense and educate folks on siege decay.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, danceswithducks.5069 said:

There was once a no downstate week which was heavily requested by a subgroup(not necessarily the majority) of the community. I dont know if it was very popular and good experience but it was an experiment! So i think anet could try to experiment some more around in wvw maybe. Maybe have a week like that where you get such a buff or a more worked out version like you propose. After all fractals have a "random" changing effect too everyday to spice things up.

43 minutes ago, danceswithducks.5069 said:

Dear (J)Anet,

I was wondering if it would be possible to add some kind of temporary iron hide buff any time you refreshed siege? If one piece is refreshed already within the 1 hour time period, it doesn't give the buff to prevent everyone just using the same one piece (gives some kind of error message), but if one is 40 minutes or less on refresh it gives the buff?

The buff would work like the one you get at maxed out Ram specs, Iron Hide, and would last 30 minutes.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Iron_Hide That's a pretty massive buff, and 30 minutes of it would be pretty OP. Maybe 5 secs of it in case you were trying to refresh siege while under fire.

I don't think that would fix siege refresh issues and might lead to players building useless siege filling up the potential siege allotments.

A couple of issues here.

If you are looking to ensure your siege has a better chance to get refreshed follow good scouting tactics. If you just refreshed a structure give a shout out that siege was refreshed and when the next refresh is needed (current time  - 10 mins or time it would take to refresh it all) is at. 'Garri siege refreshed, next refresh needed at :30'. That addresses saving other scouts time and reminds others that there is siege and that if they want to keep it it needs attention and at when if needs that refresh. WR has brought new players and a lot don't even know that siege can be refreshed and how to that I have seen as moving thru the sorts.

If you looking for a better way to know that siege needs refreshed, I think they could adjust the icons seen on sisge to change color, example green, yellow, red as siege gets closer to expiring. A bigger UI change would be a hover over on the map/min-map that would pop up a quick UI showing state of siege that is in the last third of their timers to help the map scouts out in getting their or giving shout outs that it is needed. 

If you are looking to reinforce it as a positive experience it needs to be something that is less likely to be farmed. For trebs, cats, shields, bali, ACs, give them 5 seconds on their participation timer if the siege has less than 50% of its remaining time and if the siege is down to the last 5 minutes, give 5 WxP. This would only apply within the bounds of an objective, else you risk players building siege in some weird wall running afk spot of the map. Potentially add an achievement category with titles and blue siege rewards along the way that that is repeatable, but based it more on the old style of WvW achievements that have longer completion time expectations to make the titles have some meaning.

• Thanks 1

Yeah I was trying to incentivize it, but can agree about the afk siege being placed and capping the map. 5 seconds is a bit too stingy though, what about 30 seconds? 

I like your ideas about UI hovers/colours. And I also like all of your ideas in your last graf.

Edited by danceswithducks.5069

6 minutes ago, danceswithducks.5069 said:

Yeah I was trying to incentivize it, but can agree about the afk siege being placed and capping the map. 5 seconds is a bit too stingy though, what about 30 seconds? 

I like your ideas about UI hovers/colours. And I also like all of your ideas in your last graf.

15 might be the middle group. I was using 5 since I siege places up if I know there will be people that might try and defend. For what I call a light defense of a keep it might take 15 seconds to get to the next piece. For a medium defense 10 and for a heavy defense set it takes only about 5 on average I would say. So you want it so that the scout doesn't lose participation while doing it but it's also not in the form that they will just stand in the objective and use it to farm.

5 hours ago, Anekto.8391 said:

There was once a no downstate week which was heavily requested by a subgroup(not necessarily the majority) of the community. I dont know if it was very popular and good experience but it was an experiment! So i think anet could try to experiment some more around in wvw maybe. Maybe have a week like that where you get such a buff or a more worked out version like you propose. After all fractals have a "random" changing effect too everyday to spice things up.

The forums are split between whether no downstate was good or not.  Every no downstate week, at least on my previous server, had larger ques the entire time the event was running.  That said, we haven't had one in years and it is unlikely we will never see it again.  It is a pretty hard counter to blobs.  I burst you dead, you respawn (instead of instares by 49 friends), and Anet has spent 5 years making it so large groups don't have to be unhappy.  My only issue with downstate is that it existed because the game did not have healers.  Now, there are healers everywhere.  The reward for making mistakes (as a healer) or being out of position (as anyone) should be a walk back from spawn not instantly back up just because "blob".

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MedievalThings.5417 said:

The reward for making mistakes (as a healer) or being out of position (as anyone) should be a walk back from spawn not instantly back up just because "blob".

So you say downstate rewards group play because rezzing can only be done in a group and the more of you are there the easier it is to rezz someone? What about the rally mechanic? What do you think if they removed rally or removed the ability to rezz and kept downstate with only the ability to rally 🙂 ?

I am generally a fan of downstate and think its a nice addition to the game. But i know making final business of someone when you down them is difficult and it can be frustrating not being able to finish a downstate and probably even die yourself!