Place appreciation: Overreach Chasm, Desert highlands (spoilers)

DarkK.7368

Today I stumbled across this marvelous place. My favourite place until now, I think. All underground, so didn't expect to find that here. In snowy place. And I love ancient ruins. The puzzles finding pieces and placing the sigils to open doors was fantastic. Didn't expect to get unique weapons/skins at the end. And the final place... What with that place? It's like a piece of the universe, with stars in the walls and floating, and those Astral enemies... And it had water to dive in. I loved it. I didn't get any lore of that place, specially the last room. Do we know something about why, how? Is discovered later?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Mithral.8516 said:

Potential mild spoiler warning!!

Hide contents

Have you been to thunderhead peaks yet? I think you will love a certain part of that map!

I didn't, I'm going in order, still doing PoF! They explain there about this ruins, the astral creatures, and so?

6 hours ago, DarkK.7368 said:

I didn't, I'm going in order, still doing PoF! They explain there about this ruins, the astral creatures, and so?

I think they refer to your enjoyment of ruins and puzzles.

There's no wider lore to the place at Fortune's Vale (afaik) other the ambient dialogue at the ruins entrance by the waypoint - it's some dwarven ruins. The Priory NPCs will talk about their finds as does Rhoban, but I don't recall anything about the final room. A snippet below. More at the wiki or you can just explore and grab dialogue as you see fit

"Priory Researcher (5): I wonder what these runes mean. Some of them seem to be different from others.

Rhoban: I'd think an oh-so-smart scholar like you'd recognize a puzzle when you saw it.

Priory Researcher (5): A puzzle? Why would the dwarves choose to install such a feature here, of all places?

Rhoban: To keep out gravel-brained thieves, obviously. There used to be a huge bank buried here at one time or another.

Rhoban: Any greedy loot-snatcher who couldn't figure them out would end up getting pranked.

Rhoban: Though sometimes runes are just clever locks for doors. It's not all tricks all the time, you know.

Priory Researcher (5): I see. This seems like an area of investigation that may prove fuitful to our expedition. I'll add it to my notes."

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 2

On 10/1/2024 at 1:04 PM, DarkK.7368 said:

Not a whole lot of explanation or lore, but cool vibes and puzzles for sure!

On 10/1/2024 at 6:59 AM, DarkK.7368 said:

Today I stumbled across this marvelous place. My favourite place until now, I think. All underground, so didn't expect to find that here. In snowy place. And I love ancient ruins. The puzzles finding pieces and placing the sigils to open doors was fantastic. Didn't expect to get unique weapons/skins at the end. And the final place... What with that place? It's like a piece of the universe, with stars in the walls and floating, and those Astral enemies... And it had water to dive in. I loved it. I didn't get any lore of that place, specially the last room. Do we know something about why, how? Is discovered later?

As far as I'm aware in story it is a dwarf ruin still being excavated by the priory.  Most dwarf stuff is fairly mysterious.  At one time they were a mighty empire which got up to a lot of stuff and it is implied their are a lot of them deep underground fighting an unseen war.  They'll pop-up now and then in the story but we're still waiting for a dwarf centered expansion.  I think given Guild Wars preference for their original creatures, they'll probably always be more a part of the deep lore showing up on the edges but who knows?

• 3 weeks later...