What class should I play as a new player?

Something to remember is that metas change for every game mode after each balance patch, so it's hard to predict what people will be playing in six months or whenever you're reached end game (or 2 weeks if you're hardcore!) However warriors tend to be pretty stable as far as PvE demand, over the course of 5+ years. Rangers have also been a solid staple of raids since their existence.

Play what you want. Take this with a grain of salt since I haven't touched instanced PvE in years, but Metabattle has Scourge builds listed as "great" (although not meta/recommended) for both fractals and raids.

As far as open world PvE goes Necro (and elites) is a pretty good bet, especially if you enjoy the gameplay.

If you're new to the game, i'd suggest holding on to your level 80 boosts and leveling up your first character (or two) from scratch. You'll learn not only a lot about the class you choose and mechanics of the game, but you'll pick up a lot of things that will prove helpful for your account as a whole going forward. Just something to think about.

I'd say play whatever you want. If you play it well you'll be useful in all game types. Are there usually better choices in slot for a specific content than certain classes? Yes. Does it matter a lot? Not for the most part, as long as you pull your own weight. If the overall group is good enough, doing +-5k dps won't be that big of a deal.

@ScrubLord.8321 said:Thanks for the help. I was asking since I have to max level boosts, so just wanted to find out what classes were good so I dont waste them. I might just have a necro for PvE and a Theif for raidsWell, if you're picking something instead of necro for raids, i wouldn't recomend thief. It's marginally more appealing for raids than necro, if at all. If you want a class specific for raids, which, honestly, should be far in your horizon if you're just starting, try Guardian (both DH and FB are used in raids), warrior (especially Bannerslave Berzerkers), ranger (can go both Soulbeast or Druid, although the later will get in raids way more easily).

@ScrubLord.8321 said:When would be a good time to use level boosts?

After you have a lvl 80 character done and mastered, use it on a second (or third one). I do not recomend using this until you have a solid grasp of the game and it's overall mechanics. And i wouldn't recommend using this on the more complex classes like mesmer, elementalist or engineer. Since these require a bit of a learning curve.

On a side-note: You can and probably should use the booster today, now! So as to free up the shared slots (which are pretty darn useful). Just pop in on Meta-battle and see what stats are more useful for that class, and pick the correct gear (you can talk to the NPC to change your build) before finalizing it.Then just park the character until you know what you're doing.

Archived