4k Gaming

Paladine.6082

I have an Inno3D iChill Hybrid S 980Ti Black Edition GPU (liquid cooled) and figured it would be fine for GW2 at 4k - I was right but it took some work

I have seen a few threads where people claim you cannot play max graphics settings at 4k on a 980Ti and initially this was certainly the case for me - I was hitting 80C+on my GPU which was forcing it to shut down but I investigated the issue a little because frame rates were actually completely fine it was just a heat issue. I replaced the standard fan on the radiator with 2x Noctua F12s and have them running around 1400RPM in push/pull configuration and now I am able to play at full settings (and I mean full) and get 60 fps (I have this fixed and use vertical sync) pretty much everywhere (with the exception of Lion's Arch where it drops to around 47-53fps) and my temps are stable between 47-60C depending what I am doing.

So you don't need to go out and buy a 1080Ti to play at 4k with max settings - you can in fact get away with a 980Ti but you will need to come up with a good cooling solution to do it.

Paladine

I use a 4k 40" monitor (an actual monitor not TV) and they have been making them for some time now.

@bOTEB.1573 said:I find my acer predator x34 a better option. Not 4k but super wide 1440p

G-SyncIPS100hzCurved

for 27-34 inch monitors I don't like 4k but once they make such monitor 40+ inchs I will go full 4k :)

I run a 4K (32") monitor, driven by an Nvidia Titan X adapter. Performance is mostly ok, but I can tell that it has to push around lots more pixels. When I play at my daughters it's on a system with a 2160x1440 27" monitor with a considerably lower performance adapter (Nvidia 980 if I remember it correctly) and it seems to have less trouble.

I do have all of my settings at max, and performance is ok. I don't believe it has anything to do with thermal throttling. The only time my FPS drops is during large world boss zergs where I'm limited by network response time. The point I was attempting to make is that going from about 3 megapixels (the 2160x1440 monitor) to about 8 megapixels (a 4k monitor) makes a sizable difference on what level of hardware (esp the video adapter) you have. I've been building PCs since about 1982 (and working in the industry since 1965) and have certainly built more than my share of them so I'm quite familiar with the specifics of the hardware.

4k isn't going to need additional cooling unless your current cooling is inadequate at 100% load. Most GPUs should be fine running at 100% load with the exception of some reference (blower-style) cards since most of those coolers are pretty garbage, especially on higher-power (consumption) cards.

For example, reference 290xs in Uber mode could throttle, while nonreference cards were pretty much fine

From my own experience I'm strongly doubtful that you're able to keep a solid 60FPS at 2160P even in many open world places. I bounce between 75-95FPS or so with a 1070 at 1440P and 4k has ~2x the pixels of 1440P

@bob.5680 said:I do have all of my settings at max, and performance is ok. I don't believe it has anything to do with thermal throttling. The only time my FPS drops is during large world boss zergs where I'm limited by network response time. The point I was attempting to make is that going from about 3 megapixels (the 2160x1440 monitor) to about 8 megapixels (a 4k monitor) makes a sizable difference on what level of hardware (esp the video adapter) you have. I've been building PCs since about 1982 (and working in the industry since 1965) and have certainly built more than my share of them so I'm quite familiar with the specifics of the hardware.

Well given I am getting 60FPS pretty much everywhere but Lion's Arch (although I have yet to do SW zerg since I installed the new fans) and would probably get more if I wasn't restricting it to 60Hz and the Titan X is superior to the 980Ti - you should be able to keep 60fps as well - so clearly, despite your wealth of experience - something is not quite right.

@Fermi.2409 said:4k isn't going to need additional cooling unless your current cooling is inadequate at 100% load. Most GPUs should be fine running at 100% load with the exception of some reference (blower-style) cards since most of those coolers are pretty garbage, especially on higher-power (consumption) cards.

For example, reference 290xs in Uber mode could throttle, while nonreference cards were pretty much fine

From my own experience I'm strongly doubtful that you're able to keep a solid 60FPS at 2160P even in many open world places. I bounce between 75-95FPS or so with a 1070 at 1440P and 4k has ~2x the pixels of 1440P

You can be as doubtful as you like, it doesn't change the fact that I am seeing exactly that with my 980Ti at 4k with max settings. Good cooling on a GPU significantly improves performance.

@Fermi.2409 said:4k isn't going to need additional cooling unless your current cooling is inadequate at 100% load. Most GPUs should be fine running at 100% load with the exception of some reference (blower-style) cards since most of those coolers are pretty garbage, especially on higher-power (consumption) cards.

guess he never used 2 or 3 video cards at the same time . and 290xs are not sold any more besides they was noting but junk . proved that fact when I burned up my one friends 290xs in less then 1o second when I over clocked it for him . as he was saying how much he lagged badly with that card . after I did all that I gave him a much better video card at the time . :p :p

I have SLI MSI gaming 6g 980 TI's OC'ed and an overclocked i7-4790k @ 4.7 on a custom waterloop so temperatures never go above 60c and I get 40 fps on 4K on new PoF story missions like Night of fire and new maps. I have the same fps whether i am on 4k or 1080p

It has nothing to do with temperatures, the optimization of this game is a joke. And what's an even bigger joke is gw2's lack of optimization for 4k resolution

@SaMaeL.4275 said:I have SLI MSI gaming 6g 980 TI's OC'ed and an overclocked i7-4790k @ 4.7 on a custom waterloop so temperatures never go above 60c and I get 40 fps on 4K on new PoF story missions like Night of fire and new maps. I have the same fps whether i am on 4k or 1080p

It has nothing to do with temperatures, the optimization of this game is a joke. And what's an even bigger joke is gw2's lack of optimization for 4k resolutionI haven't played PoF yet, I was talking about pre-PoF maps and if I can be bothered I might record some videos showing the fps and temps overlays since everyone seems to be an expert on what I am doing and seeing on my rig :)

For reference I am running 6700k stock clock (liquid cooled + 4x Noctua f12 in push/pull) , 32GB DDR4 stock clock, inno3d iChill Hybrid-s black edition (liquid cooled) 6GB 980Ti (with push/pull Noctua fan upgrades) stock clock and I am seeing 60fps in all maps other than Lions Arch currently at 4k with max settings. That is what I am actually getting and no argument to the contrary is going to change that - if you are running more powerful hardware and are unable to achieve the same that is down to you and your setup and is naff all to do with me and my setup :)

My set up works perfectly fine on every single game even the most recent ones. You might be happy to be getting 40 fps on a 2012 game in LA with 980ti but I am not. And what's bothering me the most is that even if I drop my resolution to 1080p I still get the same fps. So we know it has nothing to do with the GPU's and it is just a badly optimized game.

I didn't say i get constantly 40 fps. I get 100+fps sometimes but on certain areas it can be as low as 40. Even on Mistlock Sanctuary i am @ 53 fps.... And I am not talking about overpopulated areas. I'm talking about story missions as well, like I said above, where my fps dropped to 40. On top of that I have sent a ticket to anet a year ago about their 4k optimization and how chat and UI are too small for 4k even on largest scale and got no replies. I also got no replies about the flickering in party member icons when using SLI....

Lets see how many fps you get on the new maps btw...

Archived