So many Mac Problems

I just want to start off by saying i LOVE this game. In my personal and very humble opinion it is a nearly flawless MMO and is so user friend and is so for the players with no subscription etc. I am always happy to support this game whenever I can. That being said I have yet to ever become fully serious in this game because there are SO many problems with the mac client still. I know we are a minority of the player base but as an artist who only has macs I deeply appreciate the fact that you provide this game for the Mac system as there is a very small chance I will ever own a PC. Even though you allow this game on the Mac I am still shocked that it is in Beta and STILL has numerous bugs that crash my computer or if I'm lucky to force quit the game and restart it. I have the client repair in my notes ready to copy and paste because I have to use it to repair the client almost every time I log in and even then it does not always fix the problem. I know you have done many things to help the mac client but the fact that we are well into the second expansion and I still can't run the game smoothly is very sad mainly because I just want to play the game. I time and time again pick up the game after months of not playing hoping the bugs are fixed and it usually is better but then another bug swiftly arises that hard crashes my computer or the game itself and I have to give up playing again out of frustration. Am I the only mac user who is still suffering from these many crashes? Is there something I am doing wrong? Or is this simply something that requires more attention and I hope gets it please? (my graphic settings are at lowest, I have the latest OS, I have more than enough RAM, etc. )

You're not alone, there are huge Mac problems right now. The 32-bit version is no longer supported, has become progressively more unstable, and no longer works with the new content. The 64-bit is horrifically, unplayably slow unless you install it on a solid state drive (which doesn't make it perfect, but reasonably playable.) Right now all the hold-outs who have been sticking to the 32-bit and don't have a solid state drive to install on are effectively kicked out of the game unless they buy the external SSD or until Anet makes some progress finding and fixing the problem.

I haven't heard of a lot of crashing problems with the 64-bit, though. If that is what you're already running, maybe you should try running a client repair.

I've been a long term mac player and it's gotten worse each year, 2013 when I started it wasn't any worse than the windows experience maybe better even at least from a stability pov. 2014 was when things went south, they optimised the windows client, which hurt the game for us and the new trading post host which is god awful has some compatibility issues it seems with OS X, most annoying thing with coherent.exe is if it crashes the game crashes (Not the case with the old one awsomnium, which also was such a RAM hogger), when they made HoT they also made the 64bit client windows only, the 32bit became a relic over time… Then they released the mac 64 client out of nowhere but I hear far more negative than positives about it, the PoF client has just continued the tradition of the game getting less stable not just for mac users. I can think of many reasons why this is the case, no test servers or periodic maintenance, big updates often with multiple new content clumped together, seemingly lack of testing and support staff, a substandard forum and lack of feedback.

For mac users specifically it used to be we had threads specifically for mac users, they then decided to merge them all in this cluttered forum that had a broken search engine for most of its life, the indexing is also poor (e.g anything over a week old will just be truncated to x weeks ago, worse when it becomes months etc so good luck if you are looking for an old post!)

Funny thing is, I don't mind the performance. Could it be better? Of course. But after this last update I cannot leave any map that my characters are currently in. The moment I WP, enter portals to new areas, or attempt to enter WvW, it just gets stuck on the loading screen. The graphics don't even load, I just get a black screen forever until I force quit it. I am 9 AP away from 15,000 and I wish I could just do a set of dailies!

have the same problems as you guys , my mac is only 2 years old , had the usual mac crashes from time to time then the update of 6th march happened can hardly play game since. Problem i have is there seems to be very little if anything getting done about it. Cannot log from area to area cannot enter WvW , storyline ran at first then just a black screen , been playing this game since the beginning of GW1 , however ,coming to an end now,Pof has been the demise for mac players , RIP.

Am nearing my daily and monthly cap for ap, would have got it if not for a few breaks. Don't really care about ap anyhow but yes whatever and there were many problems we had as mac users for the game this is the worst one to date and Anet has not improved their attitude or service either. If I could rewind 5yrs and got wind of how this game is or would be I'd never have bought it. So we can't swap maps but have you guys tried your guild hall out of interest? That's the only one that does work and again it's not every time for me, at the least you can farm your daily nodes from there.

Anet's official response is they stopped supporting the 32bit client so our only option is the 64bit client but if it is 64bit client users not just for mac but windows are having this map swap problem, they cannot just pin the blame on the no longer supported 32bit client which means out of decency they should fix it. I have some theories what it is besides just some sloppy coding, cannot see how just adding a new map would destroy something as simple as loading maps or returning to the character selection screen and what's a mystery is why we can still sometimes at least load the guild hall, but not simpler maps like the home instance.

FWIW I played this a couple of years ago with the 32-bit version. When I came back to it a while ago it was crashing every single session - multiple times. I switched to the 64-bit version and have only crashed three or four times in the past 6 months. (I run macOS 10.12.6 on an iMac)

It still feels a little bit slow for me, but it's playable.

Graphics problems... I see a lot of issues with materials - e.g. terrain flickering white (z-fighting?). Annoying - and it kind of ruins the experience - but doesn't make it unplayable like before.

The most frustrating thing for me is the times my character gets popped into a rock or something and I can't do anything - but I doubt this is a macOS-only issue. Oh - and the in-game screenshot thing doesn't work when reporting bugs from within the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Some light in the cave, my mac 32bit beta client is swapping maps now, I stopped trying for a couple of weeks even am enjoying the break from mmos and wasn't keen to but decided to try a quick attempt at GW2 today, no crashes loading any maps or going character selection though the latter seems rather slow now. So those struggling using the 64bit, which sounds like overwhelmingly the majority you can go back to using the 32bit for now, hopefully it won't be busted again or if it does by then the 64bit client will be far more optimised.

Archived