Maximizing DPS

TheBandit.7031

I was roaming in WvW with my thief, with a full zerker build, and then suddenly I'm downed by a 17.5k backstab. I then take 2k double strikes, 5.6k shadow shot, and 8.7k heartseeker. I run a full zerker build and my backstabs hit for about 8k. How on earth did he hit that high? I died too fast too see what specialization he was using but I'd certainly like this build that hits double as hard as my full zerker build.

Did the thief hit you at all before the backstab? The numbers suggest to me he was a deadeye (shadow shot on my old D/P bound daredevil could hit 7-8k against glassy thieves easily, sometimes higher, so high backstab but average follow up attacks suggests malicious backstab imo). I can hit a backstab of around 17k against zerker thieves/mesmers on this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoaUn0MBVOhlOB+OBUGjFkCj/S2JLlcNgAwCwLHcD6BA-j1SBQBL4QAYGlgJU9DKpCCWU6lP9BA4IAcl9H0wDAYhnAgMqMIAACwNbz28mBu5Nv5Nv5NrNv5Nv5Nv5Nv5NvZpAqSCG-w

I normally run S/D offset with signet of agility as infiltrator's strike and the boon steal from larcenous strike is more useful imo (rifle is kinda self sufficient damage wise in WvW), but malicious backstab with full malice hits extremely hard even without specifically building into it. You can get waaaaay more damage on deadeye than I do if you go full ham. This is assuming deadeye tho, if he didn't hit you to build up malice a few times it's probably something else.

@"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:Did the thief hit you at all before the backstab? The numbers suggest to me he was a deadeye (shadow shot on my old D/P bound daredevil could hit 7-8k against glassy thieves easily, sometimes higher, so high backstab but average follow up attacks suggests malicious backstab imo). I can hit a backstab of around 17k against zerker thieves/mesmers on this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoaUn0MBVOhlOB+OBUGjFkCj/S2JLlcNgAwCwLHcD6BA-j1SBQBL4QAYGlgJU9DKpCCWU6lP9BA4IAcl9H0wDAYhnAgMqMIAACwNbz28mBu5Nv5Nv5NrNv5Nv5Nv5Nv5NvZpAqSCG-w

I normally run S/D offset with signet of agility as infiltrator's strike and the boon steal from larcenous strike is more useful imo (rifle is kinda self sufficient damage wise in WvW), but malicious backstab with full malice hits extremely hard even without specifically building into it. You can get waaaaay more damage on deadeye than I do if you go full ham. This is assuming deadeye tho, if he didn't hit you to build up malice a few times it's probably something else.

He did not hit me before, just a straight 17.5k backstab. I haven't unlocked deadeye yet but I'll give that a shot. How did he hit that high without malice though?

Archived