Unseating the current Holy Trinity

Windler.4815

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

@CptAurellian.9537 said:

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:Imagine a boss that utterly punished you for using
any
boons, it would completely change everything.

Yeah, it would make for an absolutely horrible fight. Almost all classes are designed in a way that they passively fart out various boons, so you can't simply punish people for having boons.

I don't see why, you can build around minimal boons.Yeah we've done that before, it was called 4 reaper 1 druid meta, and groups frequently just brought 5 reapers instead. Last I checked, one class making up 80% of the comp is worse, than one class making up 20% of it.

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:How boring. It makes team composition boring and it makes gameplay boring because even adding different boss mechanics, you are essentially doing the exact same thing every single time with the same team every single time. Do as much DPS as possible, play the same rotations every time, over and over and over. Now, THAT is tedious.

80% necros makes team composition boring. 80% necros makes gameplay boring.

Also literally the dps checks are such a joke, the fact you bring them up, makes me believe you are not up to date with raiding in gw2, and are hardly an informed perspective that can give meaningful insight to such a large change as to throw the entire boon system out the window.

Same rotations everytime? Alright lets do this:

ps - pretty much true. Few exceptions, most groups will do better with wild blow vs shattering blow at matthias and samarog. But yeah, bc ps is a support, it rarely is assigned mechanics such as sabetha cannon jumping, but it also rarely has to make significant changes to its build bc it still plays like a dps. Same is true of condi engi, although condi engi certainly has the ability to add extra things to its rotation such as blinds, heals, cc, etc.

druid - not even close to true. KC and sloth/xera are miles apart. In fact sloth/xera has some of that boon corrupt you keep going on about without even mentioning it is in the game already.

chrono - there is almost no comparison between distort vg and mo. I guess you could point out that a chrono should distort the knights exploding. But f4 alone is enough for that, and timing is quite different as a result. Point is, Chrono changes a ton.

dps classes - Its pretty rare to even run the same dps class at every fight. You certainly wouldn't bring your condi mesmer from matthias all the way through wing 3. Additionally, dps classes often have assigned mechanics, such as: using retreat on every gorseval slam, cannon jumping at sabetha, mushrooms at sloth, feedback at matthias, rerolling staff ele at kc (lol) and then bringing it along to xera for the next issue, clearing shards at xera (most groups are not good enough for stand still), rerolling healer rev for deimos (lol).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Cyninja.2954 said:This is not unique to GW2 by the way.

Not unique, but I'd say it is certainly more extreme in GW2 than many MMORPGs because you have less defined roles in this game, classes are very broad and this game was basically designed around PvP in terms of combat mechanics.

For example take healing, in a lot of MMOs I've played you have two heal classes where for example one is more single target and one is more AOE (or alternatively or in addition to, where one is HoT and one is more burst heals / shields), so all that has to be done to ensure both classes are required for raids is put a mixture of damage.

Then you have DPS, in most games they design raids that require a mixture of melee & ranged DPS, which again means more classes, in GW2 ranged DPS is for the most part not a thing, because a lot of buffs in GW2 require close proximity, plus the game was designed around PvP so a lot of range options are weak in terms of DPS.

Then you have lack of defined roles, in some MMOs I've played you have a specific buffer class, but then also a debuffer/CC class, etc.

So whilst the problem of "desire for maximum efficiency" exists in every MMORPG, it is especially bad in terms of class diversity in GW2.

And lastly whilst at times the "desire for maximum efficiency" may be reasonable, much of the time in games the actual problem is abject stupidity when people are for example waiting for their "perfect" comp for a dungeon or something that would take 14 mins with a non perfect comp instead of 11 mins.

Archived