Engineer wanting advice

shifftie.9601

So with the holosmith launch i mained my engineer, The problem i have come across is the fact that i just feel squishy! I thought with this the holosmith would be a great support class for my guild runs and things (Little wrong on that) Have you guys found a use apart from pure dps? I love to be a support class heal,tank,buff and im wondering if i should just give it in and switch to a Guard?

If supporting, healing and tanking is what you're looking for, then Scrapper is the elite specialization you should be selecting. Holosmith is a pure dps specialization and that's about it.

If Scrapper isn't your cup of tea, then Tempest or Druid could fulfill that role quite well too.

@shifftie.9601 said:So with the holosmith launch i mained my engineer, The problem i have come across is the fact that i just feel squishy! I thought with this the holosmith would be a great support class for my guild runs and things (Little wrong on that) Have you guys found a use apart from pure dps? I love to be a support class heal,tank,buff and im wondering if i should just give it in and switch to a Guard?

Holosmith is in a bad state at the moment. Try something else for now.

Engi just isn't a support profession. We have some stuff but it's all old and just simply can't compete with the alternative options at all. If you want to be a support look at Druid (healing w/offensive buffs), Tempest (healing), Chronomancer (offensive and defensive support with some healing potentially), and Guardian (aegis, now quickness with firebrand, plenty of healing potential).

Was hoping we'd get a support spec this expansion, but holosmith is fun. 2 brawler PVP specs in a row seems wrong but again, it's fun.

@Jerus.4350 said:Engi just isn't a support profession. We have some stuff but it's all old and just simply can't compete with the alternative options at all. If you want to be a support look at Druid (healing w/offensive buffs), Tempest (healing), Chronomancer (offensive and defensive support with some healing potentially), and Guardian (aegis, now quickness with firebrand, plenty of healing potential).

Was hoping we'd get a support spec this expansion, but holosmith is fun. 2 brawler PVP specs in a row seems wrong but again, it's fun.

Yeah, TBH I wish they'd look at core engi and buff our subpar specs. I hate the idea that on a class that has the potential to be able to play power/condi dps and support/crowd controller isn't good at half of those things (the latter). I dislike that the route we're taking means we have to keep waiting for elite specs just to be able to even think about playing a certain playstyle and not be terrible at it, I'd rather not have elite specs in the first place if we could get solid balance on core classes that allowed these play styles.

@shifftie.9601 said:So with the holosmith launch i mained my engineer, The problem i have come across is the fact that i just feel squishy! I thought with this the holosmith would be a great support class for my guild runs and things (Little wrong on that) Have you guys found a use apart from pure dps? I love to be a support class heal,tank,buff and im wondering if i should just give it in and switch to a Guard?

It sounds like guardian might be more suitable for you. Engi can do a lot of things but not all at once. Guardian, however, has better synergy in their trait and skills to provide both dps and support.

Archived