Is there any chance Anet create an Asia & Australia server??

TAIKA.1903

Other aspects of splitting to australia servers is that you'd be split off from NA, so there would be much less players playing in maps, pvp etc. It would also require minimum 3 servers for WvW, and I have no idea if there is enough Australia/Oceanic players to fill up 3 servers and make it an interesting matchup in wvw, I can only imagine players would stack that like mad and it would become an even bigger clusterkitten than we already got in NA/EU. Not to mention, with 1 tier, there is no-where to run/tank to.

@joneirikb.7506 said:Other aspects of splitting to australia servers is that you'd be split off from NA, so there would be much less players playing in maps, pvp etc. It would also require minimum 3 servers for WvW, and I have no idea if there is enough Australia/Oceanic players to fill up 3 servers and make it an interesting matchup in wvw, I can only imagine players would stack that like mad and it would become an even bigger clusterkitten than we already got in NA/EU. Not to mention, with 1 tier, there is no-where to run/tank to.

Aye, I'll admit that I hadn't thought of breaking away from Americans. I usually look for Australian Guilds to play with so we all run together. It may seem like a risk, and it can be daunting to take that risk, but there are a lot of Australians playing GW2 concurrently (or at least, there are enough of us begging for our own server/s) and the irony here, is that the Oceanic playerbase would increase if servers were ours to play on. Some developers recognize this and have given Oceania servers to play on. WoW's Oceanic servers, for example, have high to max population during peak hours and even when I'm playing at 3am, there are [at most] 3 servers with high population and 5 or so with low population.

We do actually exist, and we do actually play MMORPGs XD Sarcasm aside, Australia often gets overlooked because developers refuse to believe that there are enough of us to justify the risks of adding datacenters in Sydney, Perth and Melbourne. There are plenty of us though, believe that.

@Nynja.1674 said:

@"joneirikb.7506" said:Other aspects of splitting to australia servers is that you'd be split off from NA, so there would be much less players playing in maps, pvp etc. It would also require minimum 3 servers for WvW, and I have no idea if there is enough Australia/Oceanic players to fill up 3 servers and make it an interesting matchup in wvw, I can only imagine players would stack that like mad and it would become an even bigger clusterkitten than we already got in NA/EU. Not to mention, with 1 tier, there is no-where to run/tank to.

Aye, I'll admit that I hadn't thought of breaking away from Americans. I usually look for Australian Guilds to play with so we all run together. It may seem like a risk, and it can be daunting to take that risk, but there are a lot of Australians playing GW2 concurrently (or at least, there are enough of us begging for our own server/s) and the irony here, is that the Oceanic playerbase would increase if servers were ours to play on. Some developers recognize this and have given Oceania servers to play on. WoW's Oceanic servers, for example, have high to max population during peak hours and even when I'm playing at 3am, there are [at most] 3 servers with high population and 5 or so with low population.

We do actually exist, and we do actually play MMORPGs XD Sarcasm aside, Australia often gets overlooked because developers refuse to believe that there are enough of us to justify the risks of adding datacenters in Sydney, Perth and Melbourne. There are plenty of us though, believe that.

Having played WvW, I know there are lots of Asuralians..... I mean Australians.... and how you guys affect wvw ppt :)

And I'm pretty sure that if ANet thought it would be economically viable they would consider it and pitch the idea for NCsoft etc. But in most cases, companies makes that kind of decision at launch, and stick to it for the games life, wow isn't exactly a good example being the single biggest and most popular MMO game in history and going strong for 15 years.

I mean personally I'd love to see you guys get some servers locally, both because playing with high ping sucks, but also because it might actually even out the coverage for more NA servers in WvW.

But depending on the numbers and behaviour (which we don't have the numbers for, but ANet might) of 'stralians, I suspect that ones that would end up suffering the most are the 'stralians. Some people are already complaining that some maps feel empty in EU/NA, PVP would have a much smaller pool making it very difficult to find good matches, and WvW has every potential to become an even more polarized cluster-kitten than it already is on NA.

WvW for example, say that the two largest "oceanic" servers in NA decided that we're going to stack on the same AU-server to play together, you might end up with 1 very stacked server, and 1 medium, and 1 almost empty server. That would be a receipt for a horrible match-up.

Simply put, ANet sits on the numbers, we don't really know how many 'stralians there are, or if it would be enough to create a own thriving data-center. Even if an AU-DC would cause the population to double, we don't know if that would be enough or not. And I'm pretty sure that if ANet looked at the numbers and thought it was big enough, they probably would have done it.