[100% Unofficial] How to play GW2 on Mac OS after the Mac client is gone - [Merged]

ASP.8093

On 1/31/2024 at 10:14 AM, Young Dweeb.5014 said:

Has anyone tried Whiskey -> https://github.com/Whisky-App/Whisky/

Thank you so much for this. I've been wanting to play again, but everything I've tried has been awful (too choppy, frequent crashes etc.)

Edit: 

After playing around on Whiskey for a few days I can report it is... pretty bad to be honest. Not quite as awful as others, but definitely needs work.

Textures don't seem to draw correctly. Anything that would normally have an interesting shine, or something like the starlight hat or intense infusion just appear flat. Dye colourations suffer from this type of anomaly as well.

*edit* Retina Mode helps with these issues significantly; However, once you get to SotO & Cantha maps for any meta you've really gotta change settings to rotten potato, and STILL enjoy 5FPS. Blegh. In addition the UI is teeny tiny even at the largest setting when played in Retina Mode.

Occasionally the screen locks up and nothing can be interacted with. Pushing the power button once and logging back into the computer seems to fix it. Happens a few times an hour.

There is an odd clicking sound that happens when using waypoints. Sounds in general seem to be really low quality, and distorted somehow.

Overall not a fun experience. I want to keep playing, but it just isn't enjoyable. 

And honestly, I'm still pretty bitter that they just didn't bother giving us support any longer.

Many years playing, lots of money spent, and this is how they've thanked us.

Cheers.

Edited by Karma.6725

• 1 month later...

Here is a short, updated Wineskin guide as of 2024-04-25 (which I hope you can include in a front page edit ASP.8093); however the performance for me was abysmal:

Part I – The Wineskin and GW2 downloads

1. Navigate to this github wiki and download the "Latest Wineskin Winery" (the current version is 2.0.1)
  2. Download the GW2 installer

Part II – Following the guide

1. Navigate to this guide, scroll down a bit until you get to the heading "Generate The Wineskin Wrapper, " and start there
  2. Follow step-by-step until you finish the "Installing Guild Wars 2" section and the "Setting Up The Environment" section (skipping the optional "Copying The Data ..." section) and follow this until you reach the "Play" section. Note: when you reach the WineTricks step, click on "dxvk" under the dlls section; the one listed in the guide is outdated.
  3. If you've done everything correctly you should be able to play now 🙂

Note: If you have an existing GW2.app setup (from previously using Wine), complete the new "Tweaking Config" section at the top of the page which supersedes the old -usecoherent fix.

Hope that helps a few folks, but I'll be trying Bootcamp next (see if I fare better).

---

Update #1: Black screen fix when launching

I did a combination of things:

1. Typing "-esync" into the WINEDEBUG box (like the tutorial)
  2. Adding "-usecoherent" into the Windows app box (likely outdated)
  3. Adjust the "Tweaking Config" section solution by also setting any other overrides that are present in the "Libraries" tab to built in (not native)

Update #2: Bootcamp comparison

After installing Windows, it seems like Bootcamp may be one of the best solutions – I adjusted my graphic options to the lowest settings and I'm getting 40-63 FPS walking around (tested in guild hall and Desert Highlands).

Edited by ForevaRising.3562