Mount in Combat Buff?

Ohoni.6057

I love the mounts in PoF, but one thing I've thought about off and on is how you can't use them at all during combat, just at the start. In HoT, you could glide in combat, and this added a bunch of interesting encounters where you were forced to glide to avoid various attacks. While I don't expect to be able to spend entire fights on mounts, or turn it on and off completely at will, I was wondering whether there could be a temporary buff that would allow you to mount up regardless of combat status?

I think that could be pretty cool for specific boss encounters or event encounters to proc this buff onto all nearby characters, allowing them to mount and dismount at will during various phases of the battle. Like for example a fight could happen, and then the boss would phase, and a bunch of sand portals appear, everyone gets the buff for like 10-30 seconds and are able to navigate the portals up to a hidden damage point, and hit that for major damage. Or maybe you'd have to leap quickly up the walls to reach a high target. Or maybe the floor turns to lava and everyone needs to get on Skimmers and swoop around to avoid AoEs for a bit. Or maybe the boss gets a defense that can only be broken by consecutive Raptor pounces. Requiring griffons might be a bit too harsh, but wouldn't be terrible so long as it only required a small number of players to trigger, or if it was avoidable, or other mounts would also have an option.

I think that so long as it's something only available during these specific boss phases, it wouldn't lead to any abuse.

I want battles on mounts.Overwater battled while on Skimmer, battles on land on Jackal or Raptor, taking out sharpshooters and other things in the air on Griffon.I already have a pistol (or axe, or staff, or sceptre, or whatever has range), so just allow that.

Oh and maybe can make an event with like a staff or spear and have a joust battle on certain maps too.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:I want battles on mounts.Overwater battled while on Skimmer, battles on land on Jackal or Raptor, taking out sharpshooters and other things in the air on Griffon.I already have a pistol (or axe, or staff, or sceptre, or whatever has range), so just allow that.

Oh and maybe can make an event with like a staff or spear and have a joust battle on certain maps too.

Now that you mention it, it could be interesting in special circumstances. Like maybe have the ability to just stand up on the mount, using the special action key, and then using it again to sit back down. While standing, you can use your normal attacks, but movement abilities are disabled and mount abilities are too.

That sounds complicated though.

@castlemanic.3198 said:I feel like those would be great raid mechanics, not sure that they'd be viable for open world. It would definitely be a very interesting use for mounts.

Well, I see them being viable in open world within a fixed scenario. Like if the buff only lasts a few seconds at a time then you can't really abuse it elsewhere on a map. If you have a boss fight that takes place in a specific region, you only get the buff while participating in that fight, I don't think it would get too shenanigans. It could also be applied to LW story chapters, or to maps with meta scenarios like Silverwaste.

One of my speculations is that LWs4 maps will be smaller than PoF maps, but more focused, with more of the "open world raid" metas that some LWs2/HoT/s3 maps had. I feel like it was probably a good idea to not have these in the PoF maps because players would not want to do them while still working through the story, but once LW starts rolling out, it's a better space for them.

Archived