Must know tips for using the Mortar and Grenade Kit.

santenal.1054

In the following list I only just discovered tips (5) and (6) wich significantly improved the usability and effectiveness of these kits for me. If you have any other tips please share them.

Use the following settings/keybinds in order to make Elite Mortar Kit and Grenade Kit most usable and effective:

1 )Set "Ground Targeting" on "Instant"

2 ) Disable "Autotargeting"
3 ) Enable "Lock Ground Target at maximum Skill Range"
4 ) Enable "Snap Ground target to Current Target" (this will make mortar shells fly to your enemy without you having to aim manually with the cursor (just select the target))
5 ) Enable "Allow Skill Retargeting" (This will make the landing spot of ground targeted skills be determined after the initial skill animation instead of before the animation, which means that the mortar shell/grenade will land closer to a moving target) (Be wary of the delay (animation time) when you do not have a target selected and you use a ground targeted skill that you want to use on yourself, make sure your cursor is at the location where you want the skill to land. Moving the cursor away too soon will make the skill land somewhere you didn't intend. )
6 ) Keybind "Lock Autotarget" (when you press this key you detarget whatever you have selected, which is important when you for example want to throw {{Skill|Toss Elixir S}} at your feet).

7 ) Jumping right after you used a skill will make the grenades/mortar shells fly higher.

8 ) Use combo finishers in the combo fields of Mortar Kit. (Wiki: combos) I personally really like leaps in the ice field (5 sec Frost Aura).

PS: Always use the Grenadier trait when using the Grenade kit, because it makes the explosion radius bigger and increases the throw velocity (untraited too many of your grenades will miss a moving target because of the combination of the standard 120 range explosion radius and the slow throw velocity)

Edited by santenal.1054
  • Thanks 4

Get a MMO mouse (logitech G600,  razer naga , corsair scimitar, ... ) if you do not already have one. Razer also sells keypads (razer tartarus). (and if you are really lucky, maybe you can pry a logitech G13 out of some dead man's hands (=discontinued))

Edited by santenal.1054

The racial differences of nade spread pattern is false. Race/character height doesn't affect nades in any way.

Also, this entire thread just overcomplicates using nade and mortar kit. The only important options are instant cast ground targeting and allow skill retarget. I would recommend to new players to use fast cast ground target with indicator until they get a feel for the size of the aoes and swap to instant cast.

Edited by Renny.6571

On 5/26/2021 at 9:05 AM, Renny.6571 said:

Race/character height doesn't affect nades in any way.

In the first video you can see "Biggest Norn" throw grenades over a rock while "Smallest Asura" throws it against the rock.

In the second video you can see that the height with which the grenades fly over the ground and angle they land on the ground differentiate greatly for the 2 characters.

On rough terrain the lower flying grenades are more likely to hit an obstacle and explode  (compared to when there is a perfect flat ground) resulting in an explosion pattern that is more spread out (assuming not all grenades hit the obstacle ) or all grenades hitting the obstacle before reaching the selected target location (=even worse).

Edited by santenal.1054
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, santenal.1054 said:

In the first video you can see "Biggest Norn" throw grenades over a rock while "Smallest Asura" throws it against the rock.

In the second video you can see that the height with which the grenades fly over the ground and angle they land on the ground differentiate greatly for the 2 characters.

On rough terrain the lower flying grenades are more likely to hit an obstacle and explode  (compared to when there is a perfect flat ground) resulting in an explosion pattern that is more spread out (assuming not all grenades hit the obstacle ) or all grenades hitting the obstacle before reaching the selected target location (=even worse).

Admittedly, I haven't tested this extensively nor do I have space on my account to make a minimum size character, however it's been my experience that the game uses standard hitbox detection for most skills, regardless of the character animation. In the example of nades, shorter characters simply have animations that clip through terrain if the game detects a valid los for the skill. 

Charr nades

Human nades

On 5/27/2021 at 1:15 PM, Renny.6571 said:

Admittedly, I haven't tested this extensively nor do I have space on my account to make a minimum size character, however it's been my experience that the game uses standard hitbox detection for most skills, regardless of the character animation. In the example of nades, shorter characters simply have animations that clip through terrain if the game detects a valid los for the skill. 

Charr nades

Human nades

That mechanism that determines whether the grenade flies through the object or gets stopped by it has it`s limits. With a small asura you often hit that limit (grenade gets stopped) while a big Norn just throws over the object and doesn`t have to relly on that mechanism. I dont know how it all works (and don`t want to argue about it), all I know is that my first video proves that the larger character has an advantage. 

Edited by santenal.1054

7 hours ago, santenal.1054 said:

That mechanism that determines whether the grenade flies through the object or gets stopped by it has it`s limits. With a small asura you often hit that limit (grenade gets stopped) while a big Norn just throws over the object and doesn`t have to relly on that mechanism. I dont know how it all works (and don`t want to argue about it), all I know is that my first video proves that the larger character has an advantage. 

No. Once again, the hitbox for all the characters are consistent no matter what race or size they are. All skills will land if the game detects a clear line of sight (ie. no collision with objects) based on this hitbox. In the example of grenades, smaller characters will clip their grenades through the object if the game detects it has a clear path. The inverse is that nades will detonate prematurely on some terrain even if it looks like the character model could reach over it, simply because the character hitbox is smaller than the character model.

In the first video you linked, the area you are throwing grenades has uneven terrain. When the cursor is at lower elevation, the throwing arc of the grenades is changed, which is why the collision with object in between occurs. In both examples you show in this video you're moving the cursor between higher and lower target elevation and the collision with the object can be seen in both characters. The second video simply proves that larger characters are superior for throwing nades in first-person because the camera is much higher and allows you to see terrain from a higher angle.

To prove a point, I purchased another character slot to make a minimum sized asura and then compared throwing grenades to a fixed location (high point to have the largest throwing arc) with an object that is clearly much larger than the asura character model. I recommend you watch them both side by side.

Asura collision example

Charr collision example

It's very plain to see that the nades are landing in the exact same spot on both characters, even though the asura model is clipping through the staircase while the charr model throws over. The early detonations on both characters can be explained by nades having a random x-axis origin point (to simulate a "spread pattern") from the character hitbox which is hitting the staircase's taller hitbox on the right-hand side.

Edited by Renny.6571
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 4:06 AM, Renny.6571 said:

All skills will land if the game detects a clear line of sight (ie. no collision with objects) based on this hitbox.

I hate to admit it, but you are right. I just discovered that the reason that biggest Norn could reach more places with his grenades was  because he didn`t had "grenadier" traited (I thought both characters had grenadier traited). What is considered a valid path is affected by this trait. I have removed the tip from the list.

Edited by santenal.1054
  • Like 1