new player a little lost

Hello, I am a new player and I am a little lost in pvp, wvw with all these character specializations. I started with a Revenant, but I don't really like game play. I would like not to be wrong again so if you would advise me that would be really great.

I am looking for a melee, not too complicated, balanced gamplay. Ideally, efficient and not too fragile to allow me to build my skills and make a few mistakes at the start.

What would be good is to have enough to easily reach the target and to be able to have a little control to place my damage and try to kill the target. Do you think of a class and specialization?

The Thief seems like a good option but complicated to play from what I've read. The guardian ?

The Warrior is the simplest class in the game and one of the tankiest. Their damage is just okay, but they can certainly defeat an opponent if played to their strengths.

Guardian is like a Warrior with lower health and more defenses. The gameplay is more complicated, but also more rewarding. Though not as bad as the Revenant.

You may want something more like Ranger, the most beginner-friendly class.

Btw, all classes in this game are both melee and ranged. Its not like other games where you have restrictions, just on what weapons you equip at the same time (some classes one, others two), which control whether you're melee or ranged.

For example despite the name, Greatsword (GS) Ranger is a beast.

Edited by Hannelore.8153

this is not the first time that i have seen people talking to me about the ranger melee. I'm going to go watch some videos because it's true that I put it aside without really knowing why. Surely the animal system.

Thank you, yes I understand that each class can play either remotely or melee. I am indeed a beginner but with a lot of years on various mmo. So I think I have a quick curve to become an average player. The idea is not to have the easiest class to play either, at the risk of boring me.

32 minutes ago, chook.2785 said:

this is not the first time that i have seen people talking to me about the ranger melee. I'm going to go watch some videos because it's true that I put it aside without really knowing why. Surely the animal system.

Thank you, yes I understand that each class can play either remotely or melee. I am indeed a beginner but with a lot of years on various mmo. So I think I have a quick curve to become an average player. The idea is not to have the easiest class to play either, at the risk of boring me.

Soulbeast doesn't have to use pets.

Btw, I recommend to look at WvW videos for gameplay, not videos for PvE as most of them will be high-end instanced content where you're expected to play a specific class and build with an exact rotation, which isn't like the rest of the game.

Edited by Hannelore.8153

27 minutes ago, chook.2785 said:

The combat mechanics of GW2 - at least as far as the end-user is concerned - are extremely simple compared to other MMOs (at least the ones I've played). The last MMO I obsessed over before GW2, for instance, I mained a magic user and had 10 toolbars filled with clickies to use in combat. 100 choices of spells, buffs, heals, etc. When I first started GW2, I thought I would get bored with these limited options, but not having to worry about holding down a modifier key to get to a spell buried 8 toolbars deep turns out to be really, really nice. 🙂

I main a soulbeast now (greatsword / longbow). It's a very "easy" class to play in a game with stripped down combat mechanics and limited options, but I'm never bored playing it, as the environment gives me enough in the way of varied challenged to keep gameplay interesting. The great thing about the pets, which I find makes the Soulbeast specialization of Ranger so much fun, is that you can merge with your pet, thus giving you more and varied attacks (or heals, etc.), and these change depending on the pet you have.

Another thing I'm really enjoying about GW2 is that many unlocks are account-wide rather than character-wide. Mounts, all masteries, etc. Having a dependable main can help other characters you work on unlock collection items other characters can make use of, but aren't yet robust enough to achieve on their own. So even if you find Soulbeast a little too simple for your tastes, it might be a useful character to have on your account to help you build up characters more to your liking.

One final, slightly off-topic note: As a new player coming from MMOs that put very different value on non-combat activities, let me encourage you to not discount crafting and collections. Other games I've played, crafting was nice but not necessary. In GW2, there aren't really any class traits or ability scores tied directly to your character. It's all in the equipment. Crafting and collections in GW2 are really a vital part of the game if you want to build your accounts store of effective weapons and armor.

Some things in GW2 really are simple, and some just seem simple. Whatever you choose, I hope you have fun.

• Like 1