Anet, you should update your website

PvP as described by Anet on their website :

New and casual players can easily hop into an ongoing match and start playing right away without worrying about setting up a team. Competitive players looking for more organized play can test their mettle in PvP Leagues, which use matchmaking to pit teams of five players against each other in an attempt to climb through the ranks and enter the prestigious legendary division.

Not only can you not hot-join ongoing matches anymore, "competitive players" can not play in teams of five anymore "in an attempt to climb through the ranks and enter the prestigious legendary division" (-> edit: from how it is phrased I assume this is "climb through the ranks together as a team" and that the matchmaker organizes an enemy team instead of scrambling together your other team mates), so they are clearly talking about ranked arenas, not unranked and not ATs.

On the same website they continue with explaining WvW including the following statements:

(...) clash in open-field battles on five massive maps in week-long matches and seasonal tournaments.
(...) 
While in WvW, your character is boosted to max level, and you will continue to gain experience and loot as you normally would while exploring Tyria.

The first of which is wrong, there are no seasonal tournaments anymore (not to my knowledge at least) and the second point is kind of misleading in my opinion: Your character is boosted to max level but you can do kitten all until you've unlocked everything important and geared up in PvE. Without powerful stats on your gear and without utilities/traitlines your attacks literally hit like a wet noodle and you get pretty much one-shot by everything without any form of counter play because you can't use most of your skills yet. You can also not gain experience "as you normally would" in Tyria. I think getting WvW experience and occasional foliages of knowledge are fine but their description is still outdated. 

And this is just what I could find on a single page, I don't want to go through all of them. But parts of it are extremely misleading and if new players start the game in the hopes of playing ranked PvP with a couple friends together or plan on moving their guild from another game to participate in WvW tournaments (keep in mind this is also listed under "Competitive Play") it's not a great welcome gift to say "Nope, actually didn't work for years like that so kitten you 🙂 "

@edit: You don't even include Revenant as a playable profession in the "Game > Professions" Menu and the link to it on the actual page is just some weirdly added footer-addition.

I don't know, it's quite a shame.. All of these have been added or removed YEARS ago, in part over half a decade ago.. And you still couldn't update your website.

Edited by DoomNexus.5324
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DoomNexus.5324 said:

"competitive players" can not play in teams of five anymore "in an attempt to climb through the ranks and enter the prestigious legendary division", so they are clearly talking about ranked arenas, not unranked and not ATs.

The main seasons of ranked are still 5v5 conquest, they just happen to be intervowen with mini-seasons in different format. No need to update that one, as it is a relatively small detail, inclusion of which would take alot of text.....

7 minutes ago, DoomNexus.5324 said:

But parts of it are extremely misleading and if new players start the game in the hopes of playing ranked PvP with a couple friends together

oh I see, you've misread the statement, and thought it was about queueing into MM with a premade full party of 5?, not that's not what sentence says, it says 

PvP Leagues, which use matchmaking to pit teams of five players

so basically "we have matchmaking system that creates matches of 5v5" not "you can make full premade party and out mm will pit you against another fully premade party of 5"

Fair note with WvW tournaments, they got discontinued indeed.

But as far as leveling in wvw goes - you gain experience from doing things in wvw, and each level up you get a book that grants you pve lvl up. So I would say the description is close enough.

And as far as skills specs and gear goes - it was always the case. Green arrow enemies were easy kills for players that had any clue what they are doing since the day first level 80 entered wvw.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

oh I see, you've misread the statement, and thought it was about queueing into MM with a premade full party of 5?, not that's not what sentence says

I don't think I've misread because I wouldn't call it a "more organized play" as they call it - which is compared to hopping in ongoing matches. Delete the 'ongoing' since this is not possible anymore and translate to "more organized play than with random people in a match". So I think it is a safe assumption that they've meant full-team queue there. The matchmaking in this context would also still be present as the matchmaker would find the appropriate team to fight against.

The way it is phrased just seems to conclude a full-team queue for me and regarding they still mention hopping in ongoing matches and wvw tournaments, I just think their website (at least regarding competitive play) is horribly outdated.

11 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

And as far as skills specs and gear goes - it was always the case. Green arrow enemies were easy kills for players that had any clue what they are doing since the day first level 80 entered wvw.

Yea I don't say it is wrong but I think it's still somewhat misleading. And while you were at an obvious disadvantage back then you could at least kill a caravan in a reasonable time frame or maybe even flip a camp. 

@edit: I think this is in part due to the much slower unlock of specializations and utility (slots) and stuff.
When do you unlock the third spec line? Level 71? I think you could actually be more powerful earlier on while we had traitlines but idk anymore, it has been a while..

Edited by DoomNexus.5324
  • Like 1

"more organized play" =/= "full premade team".

Rankeds even with fully randomly assembled team tends to be more organized than non-ranked battles, just due to the fact that people engaged in the queue, have more requirements to even start playing the mode, and there is more competitive mindset due to whole ranking thing. Not to mention MM matching players of similar "skill" (rating), while unranked is just random.

I still don't see that one being in need of immediate fix (other than removing or rephrasing ongoing matches, and the wvw tournaments)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well, I agree. It's phrased ambigiously but to me it sounds more like advertising full-team queue.
At least I would not promote the system like this if it just meant "If you are competitive minded you can now be thrown together in a team with other competitive minded people and claw your way up to legendary! It's great and never yet seen fun due to our matchmaker!" 
Especially with the context of an otherwise also heavily outdated website. Because back in the days full-team queue were a thing and pretty much the only reason why PvP guilds existed. Heck they didn't even include Revenant in the graphical professions overview or in the dropdown menu yet.

But yes, it doesn't have to mean full team queue, I agree.