[PvP] Radiant Zeal Firebrand

kKagari.6804

This is the build I've been using this season to get to mid T2 Platinum (yes, it is not spectacular by any means) in the times of Scourge/Spellbreaker meta.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRAsd5ensADNCjNCBeDB8Dhl5BrqBsACA7t0XaO16CUvaUA-jpBHQBA4BAIujAwAOBAarMQAPIAAc/BA

The idea behind the build is that it is a semi bunker/bruiser. The core tenets of the build are:

• Retaliation will instantly up your critical chance to 100% thanks to precision from Marauder's Amulet.
  • Shattered Aegis will always critical (from testing) thanks to Wrathful Spirit. Damage ranges from 1400 to 2100. Even if it doesn't 'always critical hit' the only time it shouldn't is the first aegis that is shattered.
  • I'm aware Binding Jeopardy is bugged, but there aren't too many other traits good for that line. If it wasn't bugged it would actually work quite well.
  • Signet of Judgement is optional, and can be swapped out for something else. Personally I like the 10% damage reduction, and the active ability of the signet works well with the rest of the build.
  • For a slight decrease in DPS, this build offers the 100% critical chance that a valkyrie build will offer, without the multi-situational criteria. This build essentially has 100% retaliation uptime, therefore, 100% critical chance uptime too.

The way to play this build is:

• Sword Focus to engage, use Symbol of Blades and Ray of Judgement to provide blindness when you enter the fight. Swap back to Sword for Zealot's Defense bursts.
  • Mace Shield when in the thick of the fight. You want to be near your allies when you apply aegis, from either Mantra of Solace, Protector's Strike and Shield of Judgement. The latter two deliver heavy spike damage thanks to the 100% critical chance, and the Shattered Aegis damage.
  • Tome of Resolve against Scourges. Unfortunately Tome of Resolve isn't 'buffed' for this build, so stick with Chapters 2, 4 and 5 for cleansing and healing. Once you've survived the brunt of the Scourge's burst don't be afraid to stow the tome earlier to get back into your damage dealing weapons.
  • Tome of Courage absolutely shines with this build. Chapters 1 and 5 have aegis, and 5 in particular has incredible range. Chapter 2 will deal about 3000+ on critical hit, so try and use it once you've applied aegis on yourself for a nice packet of damage.
  • Tome of Judgement is fairly mundane with this build.

Weaknesses:

• Weakness is actually a priority condition to cleanse, will lower your damage dramatically.
  • Multi-hit builds tend to do very well against this build, this includes pistol thieves and power mesmers. It gets destroyed by Sword Dagger thieves.
  • While this build can hold its own in a 1v1, it is definitely a waste to use it 1v1. Always better to run with the team fights to help swing the fight your team's way.

I very much like the Aegis concept of Mace/Shield, this particular combo is something I haven't tried because of the general playstyle of Mace. It's a defensive playstyle that just happens to deal damage but I never considered myself as a defensive player.

The entirety of Firebrand is what I don't like. Not the mechanical playstyle; that aspect is perfect, it's the underlying issues of all these FB builds. S/D power Thieves eat all FB builds except for bunker punching bag. Maybe the meta will swap once Deadeye is better. Maybe the balance patch will improve on FB as a whole, in all divisions of League PvP.

Your concept idea is great! If only F2 and F3 had the same self-survivability concept that Dragonhunter's F2 and F3 has. This can be achieved by buffing at least One Page of FB that is actually a working selfish-surviving aspect.

Yeah, I'm actually shocked it doesn't do very well against rifle thieves. While Mantra of Liberation seems like the obvious choice for this build at first, it isn't required at all thanks to Wrathful Spirit. Renewed Focus ends up being perfect as a panic button, though not close to the degree of efficacy you can get on Dragonhunter.

Mace is actually excellent for damage! Look at this:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Protector%27s_Strikehttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Full_Counter

Same damage coefficients!

• 3 months later...

I can't see this build doing all that well after the nerfs. No more aegis spam on ToC #1 and drastically reduced healing across the board for "OH SHIT I'M GETTING SLAPPED BY POWER BUILDS" ... you aren't completely useless, but hybrid FB builds are dead in the water. Go full bunker or go home.

Thanks, Anet! Great "balance." Nobody likes build diversity anyways.

@"pah.4931" said:I can't see this build doing all that well after the nerfs. No more aegis spam on ToC #1 and drastically reduced healing across the board for "OH kitten I'M GETTING SLAPPED BY POWER BUILDS" ... you aren't completely useless, but hybrid FB builds are dead in the water. Go full bunker or go home.

Thanks, Anet! Great "balance." Nobody likes build diversity anyways.

Yep, guess this build is as good as dead right now, no heal from Meditations(it dosent use Valor) and no Aegis spam from F3 to help with both damage and give some defence...received a ridiculous damage and survival nerf...guess if the whole idea is build works around Shattered Aegis, DragonHunter with Fragments of Faith works better now

Archived