Noob question about items with 2 Upgrades Slots

Kerg.4972

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have spent like an hour trying to figure this out and have failed, hard. I'm only asking as a last resort. I just bought the game this week.

So items with single upgrade slots seem pretty straight forward. You double click on a gemstone, then click on the item to apply it.

But items with 2 slots. I am able to apply a 1st gemstone no problem. The window pops up, I pick a slot. Then when I try to apply another gemstone of the same type in the other slot in the same item, it won't let me. The choose-which-slot thing will not pop up. If I put the item in my inventory, it goes red when I double click on the gemstone. If I try a lesser type of gemstone, it DOES let me put it in the 2nd slot. But not the same type of gemstone.

So I'm thinking, maybe you can't put 2 gemstones into an item if both gemstones are the same??? But I was fiddling with my Greatsword, getting very frustrated, just trying every combination of button clicking I could think of, and suddenly it worked. The choose-which-slot thing popped up, and I was able to put a 2nd Carnelian Lump in my Greatsword. But for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to repeat that process with my Spear. I am able to put a Lump and a Nugget in the Spear, but not two Lumps.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

As the person has said above, and also when you double click a gem, sigil, etc, that allows you to upgrade, there will be a slight coloration of a bluish hue for weapons, clothes, trinkets, and anything else that gives an indication you can put them on it while incompatible items are not highlighted (and go red when you hover said item over it). Here is the link for upgrade components that also have a description of what items can accept what. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Upgrade_component

Possibly a bug. Someone tried to help me in-game, and they replicated it. We were unable to put 2 gemstones of the same type in the 2 spears and harpoon gun we tried. So maybe it's just an underwater weapon thing. No big deal. I'm only level 35, first toon. Trying to learn the mechanics of the game, and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. Thanks for your replies.

• 1 year later...

@Kerg.4972 said:Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have spent like an hour trying to figure this out and have failed, hard. I'm only asking as a last resort. I just bought the game this week.

So items with single upgrade slots seem pretty straight forward. You double click on a gemstone, then click on the item to apply it.

But items with 2 slots. I am able to apply a 1st gemstone no problem. The window pops up, I pick a slot. Then when I try to apply another gemstone of the same type in the other slot in the same item, it won't let me. The choose-which-slot thing will not pop up. If I put the item in my inventory, it goes red when I double click on the gemstone. If I try a lesser type of gemstone, it DOES let me put it in the 2nd slot. But not the same type of gemstone.

So I'm thinking, maybe you can't put 2 gemstones into an item if both gemstones are the same??? But I was fiddling with my Greatsword, getting very frustrated, just trying every combination of button clicking I could think of, and suddenly it worked. The choose-which-slot thing popped up, and I was able to put a 2nd Carnelian Lump in my Greatsword. But for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to repeat that process with my Spear. I am able to put a Lump and a Nugget in the Spear, but not two Lumps.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

There are different items for armor, weapon, and trinkets to be used as upgrades.

Just don’t use the same type as they don’t stack

@Kerg.4972 said:Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have spent like an hour trying to figure this out and have failed, hard. I'm only asking as a last resort. I just bought the game this week.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Next time just ask in the in-game map chat, someone should respond: if they don't SCREAM until someone does!

Archived