[vT] Hobo: Power Revenant Roaming [Video]

Helly.2597

@narcx.3570 said:Dang, your Holo friend f's dudes up super hard.

Good vid/soundtrack tho... That last fight is great, gd thief mentality.

Thanks! We were both cracking up on that first fight, like wait they got 100-0 as a group of 4? Good ol chain CC got them good there haha.

Yeah, it was really frustrating to see that thief do that, especially since it was looking like a won fight for me there. It happens though haha.

Very good fights, specially againts the hard counters. Do you think that axe is only better for roaming or you also would keep it over shield or off hand sword at PvP? Not long ago I asked Sindrener about and He still was on the opinion that for teamfights shield was the best in Conquest, but seems that axe gives you the upper hand for agressive playstyle at roaming...

@Nivik.2961 said:Wicked video. Music on point too.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

@Buran.3796 said:Very good fights, specially againts the hard counters. Do you think that axe is only better for roaming or you also would keep it over shield or off hand sword at PvP? Not long ago I asked Sindrener about and He still was on the opinion that for teamfights shield was the best in Conquest, but seems that axe gives you the upper hand for agressive playstyle at roaming...

Thanks, I was worried I was putting in too many fights against thieves but since its a tough matchup ended up putting them in. When it comes to axe over sword/shield I am no sPvP expert sadly. My gut would tell me that axe is still strong especially if you know your team has the sustain advantage elsewhere. The issue becomes if axe is better in more situations in sPvP over the defensive options. I would probably agree with Sind in that shield is a good option for sPvP, though I probably would say that sword might be more effective depending on the matchups. I personally dislike shield due to the high energy costs it brings to the table and how the block roots you allowing people to set up on you more easily. Sword is a good defensive choice and the block is on an insanely low cd with much better energy cost, but you really only take it for the block since the #5 isn't that easy to use effectively. Axe has 2 abilities that are useful to engage or kite in fights and the #4 brings a surprising amount of damage for a gap closer. Personally I would probably go with Axe or Sword depending on if I felt we had good support around me (axe if you're planning on roaming more in the match as well). Shield works extremely well against power heavy comps, but I've always felt it suffers a bit against condi especially necros.

@Buran.3796 said:Very good fights, specially againts the hard counters. Do you think that axe is only better for roaming or you also would keep it over shield or off hand sword at PvP? Not long ago I asked Sindrener about and He still was on the opinion that for teamfights shield was the best in Conquest, but seems that axe gives you the upper hand for agressive playstyle at roaming...

Axe is super good in sPvP, and not just for being aggressive either--it's important to remember that the Axe is also a very defensive weapon if you need it to be... Using Rift to zone and kite or axe4's Slow/Chill to shut down somebody's burst are both strong defensive plays--all while also being able to still be used offensively.

I do think shield is still probably the best option in sPvP though... Simply because as long as you keep track of unblockable cd's, it lets you stay on a point to keep cap pressure or absorb a condi-bomb that you failed to evade. That sort of thing isn't important in WvW, which is all about mobile fights and hit and running and favors shorter cool downs, which is why you'll rarely see WvW players using a shield.

But just because you bring shield, there's no reason you can't also bring an Axe and just lose the staff. I've been doing this a lot recently and love it. Since Surge is extra nerfed in Conquest, the staff is mostly just a stalling weapon... Which is great for duels, but sort of accomplishes the opposite of what a power rev should be aiming to do in a game. You want to be +1'ing as many fights as possible, ending them quickly, and cleaving the downs; only really getting into 1v1's if you know for sure that you can end them fast. Aside from your opening PT+Surge, staff only prolongs any 1v1 fight you're in, making it more likely that you're going to get +1'd--remember, in solo queue, nobody is probably coming from your team since you're the ganker--and really, Axe 4/5 is just as strong an opening (maybe even stronger), costs less energy, and can be done from Glint. In short, axe accomplishes most of what you want from staff in conquest and never takes you away from your sword damage.

I dunno, that's my recent take on it... I'm just a platinum scrub though, so maybe up in the tiptop of legendary you still get more from your staff.

(That's all conquest tho, in WvW roamingwarz, always bring your staff, and never use a shield.)

@narcx.3570 said:snip.

Idk I wouldn't give up staff even in sPvP. If you're taking shield over it, you're effectively subbing out a defensive set for another defensive set with less utility. And staff with its block, cc, and condi cleanse would be superior to shield/axe no matter what imo. It fulfils to a slightly lesser extent everything that axe and shield would fulfil while also giving condi cleanse.

@Halikus.1406 said:Beaultifuly played. So good to watch more revs being born :)You definitly earned my like, I hope you keep this up.

Thanks! I appreciate it, I intend to keep playing rev for the foreseeable future. Need to get better at it, and only way to do that is keep playing it haha.

@Helly.2597 said:

@narcx.3570 said:snip.

Idk I wouldn't give up staff even in sPvP. If you're taking shield over it, you're effectively subbing out a defensive set for another defensive set with less utility. And staff with its block, cc, and condi cleanse would be superior to shield/axe no matter what imo. It fulfils to a slightly lesser extent everything that axe and shield would fulfil while also giving condi cleanse.

The advantage of not taking staff to me boils down to never being away from your sword for 10 seconds. Because, aside from using surge in conjunction with PT for the standard onetrick opening, it's basically just 10 seconds of you playing defense since the chance of landing a full midfight surge on anyone with any awareness is pretty nonexistent and barely even worth trying after all the PvP nerfs to its dmg.

As for the cleanse, it's nice, I guess, but really only for when you're disengaging, there's very few situations in an active team fight where the cleanse is going to matter due to it's cooldown and cast time in the face of heavy condi/daze pressure, and while using it 1v1 is strongish depending on the matchup it comes down to prolonging a fight you probably shouldn't really be in in the first place...

There are certain situations where I think having the staff is super important though... If the game looks like I'm going to be forced into a lot of team fights where I want to deliberately draw focus or if it looks like I'm going to have to constantly be disengaging hard, I'll usually take staff instead of axe.

I just played so many games with sw/sh/staff, I finally realized I was probably just doing this out of habit/familiarity rather than it actually still being good and wanted to try to mix things up to gain back some of the offensive pressure that we used to have.

Archived