( suggestion ) New Mode

Ithilwen.1529

Back in my innocent days I played PvE in GW2 for fun. PvP people were the kind who'd make you ping your gear to get on a dungeon squad. They were clannish and spoke odd lingo. Somehow I stumbled into WvW and thence into PvP where I was told I could learn to play better.

I'm one of a, ( I suspect,) very low percentage of PvE players who come to PvP and stay. That's a problem. PvP isn't going to work without at least a steady trickle of new players. We need an outreach to the PvE side. I noticed and applauded the fact that the devs tried to create an open world pvp instance in Elona. Great idea. Apparently it caused excessive lag.

So, I have a suggestion for creating an outreach.

Racing is popular in-game and irl. When there's not someone crushing it repeatedly, racing such as the raptor run in Amnoon and even the old Zephyrite festival race have been very popular. Racing is a form of PvP and could be a gateway to other forms.

What if there were a PvP race? It should not be a jumping puzzle! It should not have mechanics that cause very large disadvantages to any one racer, eg some of the crystal traps on the Zephyrite map.

To keep ANET's money gating, it could be a mounted race. This would have the added advantage of eliminating OP movement skills. Those are all disabled while mounted :) Everyone begins with a level playing field. The Coliseum, with small modifications, could easily be the raptor Hippodrome. Add a couple of chicanes or simple jumps, like an equestrian hunting gate.

Et Voila' You have a brand new PvP mode that is inherently balanced with very little effort. It might even be considered noob friendly.

I'd never thought I'd say that but Mount Races have a much much bigger potential than little random Open world events.So for once, I agree.Only, if this was implemented I can already see all the other PvPers be like: 'You made Races in to PvP, but you could not take the time to create new true PvP game mode, Anet?!!!'

@Ithilwen.1529 said:Scoring is an interesting issue. If it were 5v5, then perhaps the top 5 get awarded a win? That would eliminate some of the advantage of pre mades. I'll give that some more thought.

I don't think it would have to necessarily be 5v5. Since it is Race it could be Free-for-all.

I still think this is a PvP event that would be friendly. Newcomers could come to HoTM and not be instant cannon fodder. PvP is a huge turnoff to many PvE players and that needs to change.

Mechanisms are already in the game for PvP racing, eg the Zephyrite cliff race. In STO, ( an NCsoft sister game,) the two seasonal events ( winter and summer ) feature extremely popular racing events.

Archived