A rework id like to see to phantasms.

zealex.9410

Yep pretty much what u see every week now.

I was thinking if they are gonna change how alacrity functions to allow more divercity they might as well change phantasms to overall spice up the mesmer gameplay which imo is rather stale.

As Nike suggested in his vid alacrity could be changed to instead of being a 24/7 buff it could be come a small window big payoff burst buff. That means u can apply a total of 15sec or so of alacrity per every 1 minute but alacrity itself has its effectiveness increased to like 66% or even 100% for that amount of time.

This in it self spices up game play and breaks the passiveness the effect had up untill this point.

With that in mind Arena net could make alacrity aplication it self more interesting and a huge way its aplied now is through shield phantasm. And with that the phntasm rework comes into play.

The way i envision this is that u can have only 1 phantasm of each kind up living the third slot for w/e and clones cant realy replace phantasms.

Phantasms will work like the pre rework guardian skills meaning they retain w/e they do now but you get a new skill once you summon it which allows the phntasm to cast a skill.For obvious reasons phantasms would get dmg buffs and the activatables themselves would be a big deal for the Mesmer. The skill to summon the phantasm it self will have a somewhat small cd but will only start when the previous phantasm dies.

The skill that iv come up with are:

Avenger phantasm: The dud spawn with a shield and a sowrd and does normal medium hitting autos.            His activatable ability: The Avenger perfform a shield charge to the target (or targeted area, skill could be a ground target aoe) and aplies x seconds of alacrity to                                                      allies and slow to nearby enemies. Swordsman: Does what he does rn           His activatable ability: Performs a blurred frenzy dealing high dmg to 3 targets.Pistol  Phantasm: I honestly have no idea i thought of making his unload the actibvatable and simply upping the dmg by alot while the phantasm would do normal pistol autos for                                 decent dmg.Gs phantasm: Gs phantasm can keep on using the same skill.           His activatable ability: For this skill i actually came up with 2 ideas 1 that is more fair and the other that is more fun. The phantasm basically performs the skill Rush (warrior gs5)                                                     knocking down the enemy for a small period of time if the skill connects                                                   Second is basically the same thing the phantasm open with a rush but instead of knocking dmg the enmy the enemy is slowed and upon arival the phantasm                                                    will execute a weaker version of either Hundred blades (warrior gs2) or Arcing slice (base warr burst).

Focus: The phantams keeps on doing the same thing.His activatable ability: The Phantasm uses the axe pull that ranger has. (Sucessful usage of the skill could reset the cd on his basic ability)

Staff i have absolutelly no clue what it coul do and same for the uw weapons so feel free to suggest ur own ideas. Or to dissagree with me for you own reasons, just keep it civil.

I wanted to add that this would be really nice if the phantasms were castable outside of combat. Basically u summon the phantasms and it follows you but when you enter comba it does so as well. 1 Really great thing that could happen if possible would be for the activatable skills to retarged the phantasms if used on a diff target.

EDIT: The link of the vid nike made if you want to listen to the points that he makes:

Nike and balance lol nice meme

you know its him who screaming on forum saying that druid Gotl needed to be dmg buff . Gotl was dmg reduce in beta . and funny how that also killed tempest support on arrival and people begged to give tempest more and more dmg buff .who said zerker should have some dmg benefit for power war even tho its clearly designed to be condi (for everyone who didn't know , power ps was ahead of condi until later )his idea pretty much caused half of the balance issue since hot . but hey nothing stops him tryingwho asked to delete distortion share coz too easy , and then complaint chrono is too easy .and now he asked nerf alacrity from chrono alone coz rev alacrity is harder to maintain lol i mean spam the highest aoe heal skill in game while doing high dmg AA chain swap legend off cd and press f4 is surely too hard .his idea of balance is just his preference of meta .

we all know how strong chrono is , but how many people actually checked what quickbrand and alacrity rev can do , if we nerf every single thing chrono does better than them like focus 4 pull . should we also nerf stability , aegis heal, condi removal ,high dps and resistance from firebrand , also force them gear for at least 80% boon duration .right now they only need one single sigil for perma quickness , should we nerf that too coz it's not equal yet ? btw quickbrand and rev could easily achieve better if cc phase happens more often (shorter than 60s ) , both can use off set weapon for more cc (it only affects their personal dps )

at this point how about we just play war all day .

@"musu.9205" said:Nike and balance lol nice meme

you know its him who screaming on forum saying that druid Gotl needed to be dmg buff . Gotl was dmg reduce in beta . and funny how that also killed tempest support on arrival and people begged to give tempest more and more dmg buff .who said zerker should have some dmg benefit for power war even tho its clearly designed to be condi (for everyone who didn't know , power ps was ahead of condi until later )his idea pretty much caused half of the balance issue since hot . but hey nothing stops him tryingwho asked to delete distortion share coz too easy , and then complaint chrono is too easy .and now he asked nerf alacrity from chrono alone coz rev alacrity is harder to maintain lol i mean spam the highest aoe heal skill in game while doing high dmg AA chain swap legend off cd and press f4 is surely too hard .his idea of balance is just his preference of meta .

we all know how strong chrono is , but how many people actually checked what quickbrand and alacrity rev can do , if we nerf every single thing chrono does better than them like focus 4 pull . should we also nerf stability , aegis heal, condi removal ,high dps and resistance from firebrand , also force them gear for at least 80% boon duration .right now they only need one single sigil for perma quickness , should we nerf that too coz it's not equal yet ? btw quickbrand and rev could easily achieve better if cc phase happens more often (shorter than 60s ) , both can use off set weapon for more cc (it only affects their personal dps )

Iirc he made a "nerf gotl" vid a while back but i dont know about buffing it. And i dont think he ever said "Nerf dirstort because itsntoo easy", i think he said "nerf distort because it deleted mechanics.

@zealex.9410 said:Also U know theres an issue when youwant 2 classes in a 5 man subsquad to replace the 1.

Does not change the fact that all his recommendations in that video are terrible which any experienced mesmer or good player can see.

On top of which he even gives the example of how class stacking was dealt with on other classes (showing he is aware of how his main concern could be resolved), which makes his video nothing more than a cry for nerfs and not reasonable balance.

Nike's balance is always motivated from a perspective of the upper 10% of the player base and what he considers fun to himself. It's very seldom what would be best for the game of balance as a whole. Something which is quite evident when going over many of his ideas and suggestions.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"musu.9205" said:Nike and balance lol nice meme

Iirc he made a "nerf gotl" vid a while back but i dont know about buffing it. And i dont think he ever said "Nerf dirstort because itsntoo easy", i think he said "nerf distort because it deleted mechanics.

guess what , people use heal to delete vg green mechanics now . such misleading term "deleting mechanic " only to fool those who don't even know what's actual mechanic to begin with .they did whine about distortion made raid too easy . but you know , 5-10s aegis is just easier for multi bosses.he made his nerf gotl vid after his buff idea caused the problem for 2 years . surely he has some insight for balance .

back to topic , alacrity on chrono too passive lol ? i mean currently banner , spirit , spotter ,EA contribute more dps than alacrity .somehow we have to nerf this passive gameplay .

and your idea of phant rework ,"For obvious reasons phantasms would get dmg buffs and the activatables themselves would be a big deal for the Mesmer. The skill to summon the phantasm it self will have a somewhat small cd but will only start when the previous phantasm dies."read asyou don't really want to get rid of the passive gameplay of phant ,but instead you want to make it worse for meslonger ram up time , checkharder to switch target , checkthey can still be killed easily , checkpress one button off cd instead of managing your 3 illusion even more passive , checksomehow they still have to take illusion slot , checkhave to shatter twice to even use skill with chronophantasma again or chronophantasma will be useless, check

guard spirit original design was awful enough ,they just changed that but somehow you think it's a good idea to force that into already flawed phant design .it was bad enough without target lock , illusion slot ,awful dmg/utility . but why you think it would be suddenly good with all those.

just like Cyninja.2954 said , "Nike's balance is always motivated from a perspective of the upper 10% of the player base and what he considers fun to himself. It's very seldom what would be best for the game of balance as a whole. Something which is quite evident when going over many of his ideas and suggestions."and you really didn't think through .

@musu.9205 said:

@musu.9205 said:Nike and balance lol nice meme

guess what , people use heal to delete vg green mechanics now . such misleading term "deleting mechanic " only to fool those who don't even know what's actual mechanic to begin with .they did whine about distortion made raid too easy . but you know , 5-10s aegis is just easier for multi bosses.he made his nerf gotl vid after his buff idea caused the problem for 2 years . surely he has some insight for balance .

back to topic , alacrity on chrono too passive lol ? i mean currently banner , spirit , spotter ,EA contribute more dps than alacrity .somehow we have to nerf this passive gameplay .

and your idea of phant rework ,"For obvious reasons phantasms would get dmg buffs and the activatables themselves would be a big deal for the Mesmer. The skill to summon the phantasm it self will have a somewhat small cd but will only start when the previous phantasm dies."read asyou don't really want to get rid of the passive gameplay of phant ,but instead you want to make it worse for meslonger ram up time , checkharder to switch target , checkthey can still be killed easily , checkpress one button off cd instead of managing your 3 illusion even more passive , checksomehow they still have to take illusion slot , checkhave to shatter twice to even use skill with chronophantasma again or chronophantasma will be useless, check

guard spirit original design was awful enough ,they just changed that but somehow you think it's a good idea to force that into already flawed phant design .it was bad enough without target lock , illusion slot ,awful dmg/utility . but why you think it would be suddenly good with all those.

just like Cyninja.2954 said , "Nike's balance is always motivated from a perspective of the upper 10% of the player base and what he considers fun to himself. It's very seldom what would be best for the game of balance as a whole. Something which is quite evident when going over many of his ideas and suggestions."and you really didn't think through .

Read the suggestions next time u want to seenwhy would what i suggest be bad compaired to what we already have. But ehh Mesmer mains tent to read the lines that they care about.

@zealex.9410 said:

Read the suggestions next time u want to seenwhy would what i suggest be bad compaired to what we already have. But ehh Mesmer mains tent to read the lines that they care about.

Not sure what you mean, from the way he answered I think he did read the suggestions and simply disagreed with them.

You also did not address in any way phantasm survivability. The rest would play out pretty much like musu suggested.

@zealex.9410 said:Phantasms will work like the pre rework guardian skills meaning they retain w/e they do now but you get a new skill once you summon it which allows the phntasm to cast a skill.

People hated pre-rework guardian summons and they were trash. It's one of the reasons why they got reworked. Designing our entire class around a mechanic which was removed from the game seems kind of like a step back.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Not sure what you mean, from the way he answered I think he did read the suggestions and simply disagreed with them.

You also did not address in any way phantasm survivability. The rest would play out pretty much like musu suggested.

@zealex.9410 said:Phantasms will work like the pre rework guardian skills meaning they retain w/e they do now but you get a new skill once you summon it which allows the phntasm to cast a skill.

People hated pre-rework guardian summons and they were trash. It's one of the reasons why they got reworked. Designing our entire class around a mechanic which was removed from the game seems kind of like a step back.

For 1 outside of pve i rarely see my phantasms having trouble staying up (unless its a solo scenario and the ohantams have all the agro). So i cant say i experienced a problem with them.

Second, phantasms will like they do now but the difference is they will have a unique attack to them that the mesmer can use. Making the whole thing more interactive.

I suggested that this attack would very well also retarget the phantasm.

The phantasms is outside regardless of the player being in combat or not And they engage when you do which makes takes summoning the phantasms and the ramp up it came with and throws it out the window.

Due to the active skill phantasms can open up with said skill hence providing burst which mesmer lacks.

@zealex.9410 said:

For 1 outside of pve i rarely see my phantasms having trouble staying up (unless its a solo scenario and the ohantams have all the agro). So i cant say i experienced a problem with them.

Second, phantasms will like they do now but the difference is they will have a unique attack to them that the mesmer can use. Making the whole thing more interactive.

I suggested that this attack would very well also retarget the phantasm.

The phantasms is outside regardless of the player being in combat or not And they engage when you do which makes takes summoning the phantasms and the ramp up it came with and throws it out the window.

Due to the active skill phantasms can open up with said skill hence providing burst which mesmer lacks.

let me explain to you why there will be ramp up timelet's say phant never dies which isnt true but whatever .we will have at least two phant from each weapon swap . and some useless clone . and swordsman attackrate is at 6s + your so called active skill has to be shorter cd and stronger .the rotation will be cast iduelist , active attack , weapon swap , cast swordsman ,active attack , wait for cd and active attack again , swap back , active iduelist attack , then aa and sword 2 then active iduelist again. and weapon swap . repeat . likely you will have to do at least 18s rotation to reach your dps potential . if anet only balance dpsaround single weapon phant active attack , then rotation like i mentioned will be op . if the active attack has longer cd than 9s then it doesnt solve anything but it will make mesmer even more broken in pvp and wvw .on top of those

target swap skill even with short cd still not enough for a lot of fight .this is proved by axe 3 already .and when you fight small group of mobs , u will find yourself doing waiting game : want to attack next guy , sitting there , wait for cd and then waiting for phantasm run to target . in some situation . its even worse than what we got .and did you try ranger pet , they live longer than mes phant , they are still terrible at changing target , it's an AI issue , you could not fix that by adding more target swap skill .and did you even really play chrono in raid and try to minmax dps while providing enough quickness and alacrity ?itself is passive enough sure, but chrono needs to keep 2 shield phant + 1 swordsman /iwarden .while casting phantasm skill for soi .it's called resource management , i know that's some high level concept for gw2 players and this design isn't really good . but saying press one button off cd is more interactive than resource management is laughable .

the problem with phantasm has been discussed to death in this sub forum , including your idea .we already know without AI and UI overhaul , AI spec won't work well in this game .many already pointed out solution : make all phantasm work like shield one , utility only . and move dps from phantasm to our weapon skill and shatter .somehow you think you had a great idea to gate more dps behind phantasm .and want to nerf shield which is best working phantasm by far .but you want to change the best working phantasm to a failed mechanic which anet deleted from gw2 already .nice try .

@zealex.9410 said:

So you do not play wvw or against competent spvp players. Makes sense. Also outside of pve? You do understand that pve is the primary game mode people play in this game right?

@zealex.9410 said:

Have you read your own changes? Let me quote a part of it:

@zealex.9410 said:The way i envision this is that u can have only 1 phantasm of each kind up living the third slot for w/e and clones cant realy replace phantasms.

That alone is a huge change and goes as far as changing how some of our phantasm support skills and traits work like:

Signet of the Ether - now will not allow a second phantasm of the same type to be summoned.Signet of Illusions - now only provide bonus life to maximum of 2 phantasms unless utility skills are used for extra phantasmsChronophantasma - now only provides a re-summon to 2 phantasms unless utility skills are used for extra phantasms

That's the obvious not even going into the balance required as far as not being able to stack 3 of the same phantasm or the loss of essentially utility skill slots. Or the fact that weapon skills only provide 2 different phantasms meaning that any type of utility phantasms would be competing with the weapon phantasms for one of the 2 phantasm spots. On top of which we are unable to get 3 phantasms out WITHOUT sacrificing a utility slot.

@zealex.9410 said:The phantasms is outside regardless of the player being in combat or not And they engage when you do which makes takes summoning the phantasms and the ramp up it came with and throws it out the window.

Yes, because this mechanic works wonders on necromancers. Their pets too are constantly summoned, have an active use ability, more life than our phantasms and are utterly useless.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

So you do not play wvw or against competent spvp players. Makes sense. Also outside of pve? You do understand that pve is the primary game mode people play in this game right?

@zealex.9410 said:The way i envision this is that u can have only 1 phantasm of each kind up living the third slot for w/e and clones cant realy replace phantasms.

That alone is a huge change and goes as far as changing how some of our phantasm support skills and traits work like:

Signet of the Ether - now will not allow a second phantasm of the same type to be summoned.Signet of Illusions - now only provide bonus life to maximum of 2 phantasms unless utility skills are used for extra phantasmsChronophantasma - now only provides a re-summon to 2 phantasms unless utility skills are used for extra phantasms

That's the obvious not even going into the balance required as far as not being able to stack 3 of the same phantasm or the loss of essentially utility skill slots. Or the fact that weapon skills only provide 2 different phantasms meaning that any type of utility phantasms would be competing with the weapon phantasms for one of the 2 phantasm spots. On top of which we are unable to get 3 phantasms out WITHOUT sacrificing a utility slot.

@zealex.9410 said:The phantasms is outside regardless of the player being in combat or not And they engage when you do which makes takes summoning the phantasms and the ramp up it came with and throws it out the window.

Yes, because this mechanic works wonders on necromancers. Their pets too are constantly summoned, have an active use ability, more life than our phantasms and are utterly useless.

Unlike necro pets phantasms can deal dmg doe. Also the part about phantasms dying fast was a typo from my part i meant to say outside of wvw/pvp.

@zealex.9410 said:

Unlike necro pets phantasms can deal dmg doe. Also the part about phantasms dying fast was a typo from my part i meant to say outside of wvw/pvp.

Necro pets deal damage. Not sure what you are on about.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Summon_Bone_Fiendhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Summon_Bone_Minionshttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Summon_Shadow_Fiendhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Summon_Flesh_Golem

The old guardian weapons also dealt damage.

What you are misunderstanding in this part is, they were balanced around being permanently available and/or around having toggle skills available. It is to be assumed that if mesmer phantasms were redesigned, they would be balanced the same way. Meaning completely useless.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Necro pets deal damage. Not sure what you are on about.

What you are misunderstanding in this part is, they were balanced around being permanently available and/or around having toggle skills available. It is to be assumed that if mesmer phantasms were redesigned, they would be balanced the same way. Meaning completely useless.

I dont think phantasms are balanced to be up for 10 sec and then die either. If guardian weapons are such a buzzword u can cosidere my idea as something like flesh golem as well.

And well about the gaurd weapons, they arent in a well, better spot rn.

@zealex.9410 said:

I dont think phantasms are balanced to be up for 10 sec and then die either. If guardian weapons are such a buzzword u can cosidere my idea as something like flesh golem as well.

The flesh golem is pretty much only useful since it's up all the time with a semi useful defiance breakbar move (semi because the cooldown on this skill is ridiculous) and it counts as an elite. Very doubtful that any changes to phantasms would put them on the level of a flesh golem, especially not the ones from utility skills. The necromancer community would be up in arms, and rightfully so.

The fact that guardian weapons now are not great is no argument for change. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Sorry, I still think the idea is terrible and in-game examples from other classes back up my opinion.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

The flesh golem is pretty much only useful since it's up all the time with a semi useful defiance breakbar move (semi because the cooldown on this skill is ridiculous) and it counts as an elite. Very doubtful that any changes to phantasms would put them on the level of a flesh golem, especially not the ones from utility skills. The necromancer community would be up in arms, and rightfully so.

The fact that guardian weapons now are not great is no argument for change. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Sorry, I still think the idea is terrible and in-game examples from other classes back up my opinion.

My suggestion wouldn't fix all the problems it would just imo make the act of playing mesmer and the whole phantasm mechanic more interactive and engaging.

The idea of making all phantasms more passive than they already are and give all that power to mesmer it self is still pretty flawed.

Will it make mesmer dmg more consistent in case your illusions die all the time? Sure. But where would all the dmg that is taken from the phantasms be put in? Sword aa? Sword 2? Focus aa/2? Gs3?

You still are left with one of the class' biggest problems imo which is u still have 2 or so weapon skills tops to use and maybe 1 or 2 more if you are running an elite spec.

My idea of a rework doesnt fix the summons dying or having no ramp up time. It makes gives phantasms just more qol with the ability to retarget on skill use while it makes them something more other than a fire off and forget.

Archived