AT Update Suggestion

Emtiarbi.3281

Hi all,

I've been thinking on how to improve the AT in a way that anyone can participate. Currently my biggest issue with Automatic Tournaments is that i'm unable to properly form a group in time because of the time it shows up. So i was thinking that maybe they can change it so the tournament is quorum based instead of time based.

1. The automatic tournament will activate when there are n number of teams queued (lets say 8).
  2. when the quorum is met, an announcement happen in the PvP map, that says "in 2 minutes the AT will start", to allow people to join.
  3. When the tournament ends, it waits n minutes to start getting applications and the people can start joining again (lets say 15 minutes).

I think this change can make the AT's more attractive, the rewards can be reduced as there might be more ATs happening a day.

Thoughts?

• ArenaNet Staff

@"Emtiarbi.3281" said:Hi all,

I've been thinking on how to improve the AT in a way that anyone can participate. Currently my biggest issue with Automatic Tournaments is that i'm unable to properly form a group in time because of the time it shows up. So i was thinking that maybe they can change it so the tournament is quorum based instead of time based.

1. The automatic tournament will activate when there are n number of teams queued (lets say 8).
  2. when the quorum is met, an announcement happen in the PvP map, that says "in 2 minutes the AT will start", to allow people to join.
  3. When the tournament ends, it waits n minutes to start getting applications and the people can start joining again (lets say 15 minutes).

I think this change can make the AT's more attractive, the rewards can be reduced as there might be more ATs happening a day.

Thoughts?

We're in the early phase of looking into something very similar to this. The rewards couldn't be what they are for the scheduled tournaments, otherwise I'd worry about people joining just to farm rewards. The tournaments would be likely be smaller. But my thought is that they would be no worse than just playing ranked matches at the least.

No promises or timeframes yet, but we're open to the idea.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

Thoughts?

We're in the early phase of looking into something very similar to this. The rewards couldn't be what they are for the scheduled tournaments, otherwise I'd worry about people joining just to farm rewards. The tournaments would be likely be smaller. But my thought is that they would be no worse than just playing ranked matches at the least.

Thats good to hear.So far, what kept me from looking for/starting a stable AT-team was really just the downtime on them. Whats the point of being in a team when - as worst case scenario - you get to play 1 game together every ~5 hours. This together with a swiss-system would finally make AT's what they were supposed to be from the very beginning.

@BikeIsGone.8675 said:

Thoughts?

Thats good to hear.So far, what kept me from looking for/starting a stable AT-team was really just the downtime on them. Whats the point of being in a team when - as worst case scenario - you get to play 1 game together every ~5 hours. This together with a swiss-system would finally make AT's what they were supposed to be from the very beginning.

Thoughts?

Youre the best Ben . You single handedly giving us pvper hope. By just keeping the comunications flowing.

Thoughts?

Didn't expect a dev answer, and i'm glad. This gives me hope and to my guild! :')Thank you Ben for answering!

Thoughts?

Why not just bring back ranked team queues??You had the beginnings of greatness and you threw it away because people were complaining, guess what? Still complainingAnd you know what's worse? It was so very rare to get matched as a team vs a full set of randoms, and i remember distinctly losing to lots of those.

I had 8-10 guild mates that would do pvp daily in 1-2 teams depending on who was on at the time. Of those ~10 guys only 3 are still playing, 2 of us play PvP, and only one plays pvp in a way that matters. I barely ever do more than 30 matches per "season".

You had all the beginning of greatness, and you killed it all:

• guild teams (it wasn't perfect, but you killed it before it got anywhere) and guild ranks, with pro qualifiers,
  • the ability to party up with the people from your previous match,
  • Stronghold, that one map wasn't perfect, but you could have improved the game mode on further maps, but no.

PvP could have been great, but poor management made it less than mediocre, good luck reverting that now that most people don't care for the game mode any more.

Thoughts?

The reward would be that your 5 man squad won 5 tournys in a row and a number of people see you as top dog. That should be reward enough if you actually like the game. I dont need gold or loot boxes to keep me into gw pvp never have. I want the prestige the feeling constant fun fair competition.

Why do people need rewards to do anything these days?

Archived