World Restructuring... a few questions

Xero.6874

So let me start by saying i'm not a forum person anymore, i used to use forums 24/7/365... but I only use them for things like this now, so excuse my terrible summarization etc.And... i haven't played seriously in a long time, mind you i enjoy Guild Wars and have been around since GW1,GW2 beta, and GW2 launch etc etc... but i don't have 50001hrs like many do.

I have a few questions about the world restructuring that's happened?happening? link post: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26547/world-restructuringSo, the way it's written, I had to kind of assume what it's saying is that it's removing World selection, which was basically in plain text :"Since worlds will not exist any longer, the "World Selection" that currently is available in character select will be eliminated, and instead a selection for playing in either North America or Europe will replace it."And this means for all of us, servers w/ names practically go away as a choice and it's 100% based off of WvWvW participation..., at least that's how i read it

This just seems weird, like you're going to be placed in a world, based solely off of WvWvW participation and rank etc...

I may be mis-understanding this because many questions were unanswered in the original post in the first place.

Do worlds randomly place you based off of WvWvW participation, your guilds participation etc?

If you were in Crystal Desert, are you randomly taken out of Crystal desert just because with this update you are auto-sorted into worlds?

What happens to the current world structure, the selection goes away, but it's not stated whether or not you can even move to similar worlds as friends, not specifically guild mates, but just friends list?

I may be wrong, but it seems like it's 100% based on WvWvW and what guild you are in and how much they play WvWvW...It's just... wrong to forcefully push players into a world because of WvWvW, especially for those who don't play WvWvW often or at all. I probably have friends who have been in WvWvW lobbies just to get weapons to use temporarily for PvE because of stats or something similar... it's just... weird.

Apologies in advance for my terrible posting skills.

The general idea is that they determined worlds to no longer be useful in PvE, thanks to the megaserver, and instead their only current value is for which world you fight with in WvW. Since they are changing how world selection for WvW works, and PvE is just a giant megaserver with no distinct worlds anymore, they removed the unnecessary selection.

There are a couple of cases where they were wrong, like for RPers, but that is on their radar and they are looking into viable alternatives for world choice.

In terms of WvW, though- your named server will be randomly chosen for you based on a few criteria once every 8 week (I think that was it, right?).

The important thing to know here is that worlds are not relevant outside of WvW and haven't been for a long time. I don't remember exactly how long, but it's been a few years.

The game uses a system called Mega-servers to share PvE maps (and PvP maps) between all servers in a region. So if you're on Crystal Desert you won't only see people from Crystal Desert in the game, you'll see people from all NA servers. If there's enough people in the same location to need more than 1 copy of the map the game will use a few different factors to decide which one to put you into. If I remember correctly it's whether anyone from your party or squad is there, then people from your friends list, then the guild you're representing, then your other guilds, then your server, then other servers with the same language tag (EU only).

If you want to move onto a different copy of the map you can do it by forming a party with someone on that copy and using the right click > join in [map name] option to move yourself manually.

None of that is going to change when the new system comes in, except that your world won't be a factor in which map the game chooses for you any more. But it's unlikely anyone will notice that. So basically for those who us who hardly ever play WvW nothing is going to change, except maybe when you open the WvW menu you might notice the world name is different.

@Tolmos.8395 said:The general idea is that they determined worlds to no longer be useful in PvE, thanks to the megaserver, and instead their only current value is for which world you fight with in WvW. Since they are changing how world selection for WvW works, and PvE is just a giant megaserver with no distinct worlds anymore, they removed the unnecessary selection.

There are a couple of cases where they were wrong, like for RPers, but that is on their radar and they are looking into viable alternatives for world choice.

In terms of WvW, though- your named server will be randomly chosen for you based on a few criteria once every 8 week (I think that was it, right?).

Okay, that makes a bit more sense than the way it was worded... I knew about mega server changes but it was just badly worded i guess.

@Danikat.8537 said:The important thing to know here is that worlds are not relevant outside of WvW and haven't been for a long time. I don't remember exactly how long, but it's been a few years.

The game uses a system called Mega-servers to share PvE maps (and PvP maps) between all servers in a region. So if you're on Crystal Desert you won't only see people from Crystal Desert in the game, you'll see people from all NA servers. If there's enough people in the same location to need more than 1 copy of the map the game will use a few different factors to decide which one to put you into. If I remember correctly it's whether anyone from your party or squad is there, then people from your friends list, then the guild you're representing, then your other guilds, then your server, then other servers with the same language tag (EU only).

If you want to move onto a different copy of the map you can do it by forming a party with someone on that copy and using the right click > join in [map name] option to move yourself manually.

None of that is going to change when the new system comes in, except that your world won't be a factor in which map the game chooses for you any more. But it's unlikely anyone will notice that. So basically for those who us who hardly ever play WvW nothing is going to change, except maybe when you open the WvW menu you might notice the world name is different.

So the way I understand it now (or before?) or both... idk . anyway, the way i understand is that it was made so the megaserver had a map selection that went kind of like a realm so to speak, and the first realm, meant you were on #1, then once that got full #2 etc.Similar to how event maps fill up with players every so often.

This isn't as bad as they make it sound. Other than the whole auto-sorting map thing. possibly putting you on a server that's losing in WvWvW badly or something xD. I get the balance for that though, it's still odd how it randomly places you in a named world.

IT should just be known now instead of named worlds that WvWvW is just 'teams' of named worlds. kinda like Jade Quarry and Fort Aspenwood used to be.(i was kurz don't hate)

I guess it can't be helped, at least it's not terrible. Ty for the insight!

@Xero.6874 said:So the way I understand it now (or before?) or both... idk . anyway, the way i understand is that it was made so the megaserver had a map selection that went kind of like a realm so to speak, and the first realm, meant you were on #1, then once that got full #2 etc.Similar to how event maps fill up with players every so often.

They're not adding any kind of map selection to PvE, or such. (Though it would be awesome!)For PvE, essentially nothing happens except the removal of a choice that had very close to no practical effect on PvE. (The RP community is pretty much the only ones to have a use for the current world system in PvE)

The choice for a new, non-RP, non-WvW, account between different worlds within their region really means absolutely nothing.

For WvW, new worlds will be made each 8 week season, and players will be assigned to these worlds based on various metrics to make the fights as equal as possible. If you set a guild as your primary WvW (no requirement to rep it) you will always be sorted with it and any Alliance it's part of.

Archived