This weapon can't be used by your profession....except it can.

Has anybody been getting the message that a weapon you are trying to equip can't be used with your profession, when it is a weapon your profession uses?

It first happened to me last week, when my engineer key farmer was wielding double pistols and I got a drop of a better pistol. After replacing my worst one, I tried to swap the two equipped pistols so the better one was in the right hand, but got the 'wrong profession' error message. So I un-equipped the pistols and tried to re-equip them, but it still told me I could not use them. Logging the character out and back in fixed the problem, and I didn't think any more of it until this week, ranking up my next key farmer (warrior.) I got to the level where underwater combat is unlocked and was given an aquabreather and a spear. And when I tried to equip the spear, it told me I could not use that weapon with my profession.

Seems like something odd is happening.

Not necessarily.

I had this happen yesturday, only slightly different. I was on my Revenant, and a spear in my inventory had that text. I could not equip the item, despite having a spear already equipped. Odd thing, the spear I had equipped also had that text. I was not mounted at the time.

I went and dove underwater.

Only after doing that were the spears equippable/useable.

Mounting is an example of the game disallowing changes to our builds while "transformed." The same can happen under the use of most tonics and some toys. And, I believe some profession mechanics also cause the same issue, which is probably what @Kong.3280 experienced.

That said, the error message is, at best, misleading. So I still think it's worth reporting (ideally, using the in-game /bug reporting tool, so the devs can easily review the logs to see what exactly was going on). I don't expect ANet to address this soon™ let alone soon, but with more data, they can probably make quicker progress when they do decide to act.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Mounting is an example of the game disallowing changes to our builds while "transformed." The same can happen under the use of most tonics and some toys. And, I believe some profession mechanics also cause the same issue, which is probably what @Kong.3280 experienced.

I have noticed (rarely) at times when I dismount and go into combat the game still seems to think i'm mounted. I can not use skills or do anything, until I mount and dismount again. It's possible this is what happened when i noticed the issue.

Archived