After yesterday's PoF download characters can't exit areas, pc freeze using wp and portals (Mac).

The monitor goes black when I try to leave the area, both through portals and wp, the game freeze and quit (Command-Q) doesn't work, so I need to restart manually.The issue happens since yesterday, after the download of PoF second part.I don't have an anti-virus so it is not a conflict with that sort of apps.Really don't know what to do.

I’ve got the same issue. After the new POF release, I can’t enter any pvp ranked maps or teleport to any maps for that matter on my Mac. It’s like it froze while loading to the next map and I have to force quit the game. Basically I can’t play.

@penelopehannibal.8947 said:I've found this is happening on the 32-Bit client but not the 64-Bit client. It's a shame because the 32-Bit client runs a lot more smoothly than the 64-Bit one, but unfortunately the 32-Bit client is no longer available for download (and thus probably no longer supported). :(

I believe I have the 32 bit, re-mounted after my original Client from 2016 about a year ago, because of an issue with the 64 bit I couldn't play longer then 20 minutes before crashing. So, I could download the 64 bit again, if the current issue would not be fixed, hoping that Client 64 bit too was fixed... not a nice situation at all.Quoting Luluthi: Basically, I can't play.

+1"I can't play", literally.I have been experiencing this loading screen freeze since yesterday. Got myself 1 hour of dishonor in sPvP because of that and now few of my characters are stuck in the Heart of the Mists, as the game keeps freezing when i attempt to change the map, ggwp. Looking forward to seeing this fixed, thank you.

I have the exact same problem on the 32-bit client! Loading new maps/story instances is impossible after one of the patch fix updates last night even though loading into new maps seemed totally fine when the initial update launched. I was able to get to the new living world map around 11 PM server time but only when I tried to start the last story mission later (3 AM server time) it wouldn't load.

Attempting to load on the 64-bit client is not functional in a different way, given that a loading screen takes close to five minutes and even then my characters appear floating in space. Please give us a fix to something, Anet!

(Also, I also get the 'waypoint was contested' text when I load back in on the 32-bit client too.)

I'll copy Ester's post here too.. just in case.

@"Ester Sauter.7694" said:For anyone having issues who is still using the Mac 32 bit client, the fix will be to switch to the 64 bit client. We stopped supporting the 32 bit client for both Mac and Windows with the release of Path of Fire. This new min spec applies to all of Living World Season 4 as you need to own PoF to play.

You can download the client here: https://account.arena.net/welcome

I switched back to 32-bit when Support was NOT able to help me with frequent crashes with the 64-bit client. After several tries they draw the conclusion it was my graphic card and closed the ticket. Facts happened a while ago, when PoF was first downloaded. Now tell me: why reloading at 32 bit solved most of the problems and HOW could I went back playing for a long time, if it was my graphic card the problem? I think it is a duty for ArenaNet to help me now, me and the other gamers with the same difficulties. A duty, I underline this concept, because we paid and we still pay to play, as ArenaNet took and take our money. I don't really expect any help from them, but it is important for me to point out what is right and what is wrong.

@Jon Olson.8439 said:I'll copy Ester's post here too.. just in case.

@"Ester Sauter.7694" said:For anyone having issues who is still using the Mac 32 bit client, the fix will be to switch to the 64 bit client. We stopped supporting the 32 bit client for both Mac and Windows with the release of Path of Fire. This new min spec applies to all of Living World Season 4 as you need to own PoF to play.

You can download the client here:

The 64 bit client is atrocious, though. I first installed it when it was released, and had major lag and graphic issues, so I kept using the 32 bit client. But when the 32 bit client started having this issue about two or three days ago, I decided to try it again. It's still absolutely horrendous.

Even if I have ALL of the settings at the lowest possible setting, and even if I drop the resolution beyond it being visually playable, I still have such low fps that I can't stand to even look at the darn thing. Maybe if I could drop the resolution and have better options for scaling the UI, it wouldn't be SO bad....? But even still, if these are the options mac users are left with (not being able to switch maps on the 32 bit client or having abysmal, practically unplayable fps with the 64 bit client), then what you're telling us is that we basically can't play the game.

You're telling paying customers that we cannot play the content we've already purchased, simply because you refuse to fix a problem with a client you no longer support, but by all means should, considering the issues the 64 bit client continues to have. And I'm honestly shocked that you're forcing people to download and use the 64 bit client given the state it's currently in.

Please, either support your mac players, or out-right admit that you don't care about meeting our needs and we'll be on our way.

I kind of hate to keep telling people this, because it's starting to feel like ArenaNet regards it as a bandage which lets them off from fixing the problem, but if you save the GW2 client on an external solid state drive (instead of a regular spinning-type hard drive), it works a whole lot better.

Of course, NEW Mac players who download the free edition and find out it won't play worth kitten will just delete it and find another game instead of buying the expansions, but at least maybe the people who already love GW2 can keep going for a little while. Till the lack of new players convinces Anet that there's no demand for a Mac version.

@Jon Olson.8439 said:I'll copy Ester's post here too.. just in case.

You can download the client here:

We've all read it. Nevertheless we're dissapointed.We're given an option/fix (64-bit client) that isn't a reall fix.

Like many mentioned before, the client ran JUST FINE on 32-bit, while the 64-bit client is literaly unplayable.It's laughable given the amount we've all spent getting the game, not to mention the amount of gems I've invested,just because I liked this game. It's like buying a microwave that is supported by your houses electricity network and then after a few years saying that you should upgrade your electricity network, because the old one doesn't support it anymore. So you do, but now the microwave freezes your food instead of warming it up.

P.S.: it's not even laughable. It's sad.

Hi, for those on the Mac machines, where the 64-bit client doesn't work as well, I'm going to have to side with ArenaNet on this one. The 32bit client, is, in itself a windows emulator running 32bit windows. It ran absolutely atrocious for me and I had to use the lowest settings and was on a pretty powerful machine at the time.It's only with the latest 64bit clients that the game is actually coming close to the 64bit windows client.

If you love the game and your Mac is not performing well with the 64bit client, I would honestly suggest bootcamp. You'll get the native win64 performance and be much happier.

As I understand it, the native Mac performance is limited by the 3d graphics API ArenaNet has to use.

@Feyd Rautha.7298 said:Hi, for those on the Mac machines, where the 64-bit client doesn't work as well, I'm going to have to side with ArenaNet on this one. The 32bit client, is, in itself a windows emulator running 32bit windows. It ran absolutely atrocious for me and I had to use the lowest settings and was on a pretty powerful machine at the time.It's only with the latest 64bit clients that the game is actually coming close to the 64bit windows client.

If you love the game and your Mac is not performing well with the 64bit client, I would honestly suggest bootcamp. You'll get the native win64 performance and be much happier.

As I understand it, the native Mac performance is limited by the 3d graphics API ArenaNet has to use.

I tried to run it through bootcamp as well tho, and it was as horrendous as running it normal. Maybe a tad quicker, but still near to unplayable.

@Feyd Rautha.7298 said:Hi, for those on the Mac machines, where the 64-bit client doesn't work as well, I'm going to have to side with ArenaNet on this one. The 32bit client, is, in itself a windows emulator running 32bit windows. It ran absolutely atrocious for me and I had to use the lowest settings and was on a pretty powerful machine at the time.It's only with the latest 64bit clients that the game is actually coming close to the 64bit windows client.

I had to use the lowest settings on the 32 bit client to get optimal performance, and I was perfectly happy with that. Yes, it wasn't very pretty. But it was playable. With the 64 bit client, I need to use all the lowest settings, an even lower resolution, horrendous UI interface settings that won't match the resolution and make my mouse the size of an ant, and I STILL only get 18 fps MAX plus major lag spikes.

I cannot play pvp, I cannot load story instances, and I can't even do dailies if they include any sort of jumping puzzle.

And I have a new imac that far exceeds the minimum system requirements.

In short the game was fine (Lots of problems but was still playable) and the most recent 'fix' has destroyed it for us, can't even load other maps now via 32bit client. I certainly do not love the game Feyd and this is yet another slap in the face from anet, back to 2013 it ran pretty well. When they changed the trading post to the awful Coherent host it became a major crash fest particularly for mac users, it eventually got better. Come 2015 with the first expansion the experience continually worsened, with Anet distancing themselves further from continuing to support the old clients and now with this latest fiasco they just don't want to bother wow…. I really do not see how adding a new map and chapter to the story would result in destroying something as fundamental to a mmo, which is loading maps but then the devs themselves probably couldn't answer that either yet it happened.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:(...) but if you save the GW2 client on an external solid state drive (instead of a regular spinning-type hard drive), it works a whole lot better.

Can you detail that, please? Are you refering to 64-bit client? You mean it's better to save the client on external HD, then reload and save the game from Arenanet to the external HD and play it through it? I am sorry I am not a computer expert so my questions may sound silly, but I will try literally anything to go back playing the game.

My GW2 is in a separate hard drive and the same thing happens to me.

I can use waypoints normally but I can't get into PvP, WvW, and Fractals (haven't tried going in any of the dungeons).Screen turns black but my cursor is moveable. I've tried waiting for almost an hour with no results.

Files Remaining: 32,500 (according to client)I'm trying to fully update it and hope it solves the problem.

PS: not sure if my client is 32/64 bit, how do I find out? not a techy person :(my mac laptop's processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 ---- which according to google is 64 bit so either is possible

@shairawr.1829 said:My GW2 is in a separate hard drive and the same thing happens to me.

It has to be a solid state drive. They have no moving parts, so data transfer is much faster. Not sure how big it has to be--someone said 128g would be fine. I got a bigger one because if the fix didn't work, I at least wanted to have a disc that would be big enough for backups and stuff.

@Justin Time.7054 said:

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:(...) but if you save the GW2 client on an external solid state drive (instead of a regular spinning-type hard drive), it works a whole lot better.

Can you detail that, please? Are you refering to 64-bit client? You mean it's better to save the client on external HD, then reload and save the game from Arenanet to the external HD and play it through it? I am sorry I am not a computer expert so my questions may sound silly, but I will try literally anything to go back playing the game.

Yes, the 64-bit. Several months ago, my 32-bit client was crashing constantly, and I said I couldn't upgrade because my character ended up running around invisible terrain being killed by invisible enemies. Running off an SSD, I can play the game normally with all the settings on low, except that it slows down enormously when I am somewhere crowded or highly detailed, and occasionally just freezes up for a second (which is bad when you're in battle) On the good side, map load times are quicker than with the 32-bit on the regular drive. And it does look good, even on the low-graphics settings.

What I did was download the client, move it over to the solid-state drive, then start it and let it download the rest of the game info to the drive. (Not sure, but you might want to completely delete or or at least move the old game files out of the Applications folder first, otherwise the new client might try to read the game data off the regular hard drive, which will slow it right down again.)

I'm not very techy either.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

@shairawr.1829 said:My GW2 is in a separate hard drive and the same thing happens to me.

It has to be a solid state drive. They have no moving parts, so data transfer is much faster. Not sure how big it has to be--someone said 128g would be fine. I got a bigger one because if the fix didn't work, I at least wanted to have a disc that would be big enough for backups and stuff.

Yeah mine is a 1TB HDD with a lot of free space, but quality of gameplay is good enough.

Currently installing 64 bit client.

I can use waypoints normally but I can't get into PvP, WvW, and Fractals (haven't tried going in any of the dungeons).Screen turns black but my cursor is moveable. I've tried waiting for almost an hour with no results.

Files Remaining: 32,500 (according to client)I'm trying to fully update it and hope it solves the problem.

PS: not sure if my client is 32/64 bit, how do I find out? not a techy person :(my mac laptop's processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 ---- which according to google is 64 bit so either is possible

From 2011 all macs are 64bit so the machine itself won't be an issue, it's pretty simple unless you changed names of the apps but the 64bit client is called 'Guild Wars 2 64-bit by default, also it will have the 'Mac Beta' permanently onscreen if it's the 32bit client. Also it does not autoupdate, the 64bit client is entirely separate although they run from the same folders, the clients themselves are small files.

120GB is far far more than the game itself though if you have other apps you want to run with expediency doesn't hurt to have plenty of space, when I first downloaded GW2 in 2013 it was <20GB and 5years later it's <40, at this rate it will take another 10years to reach 120, the game probably won't be supported anymore by then or it will be kept alive like Guild Wars is now with no more updates.

Same problem here - Game freezes with a black screen when switching maps cries

I am using the latest MBPr and it runs on 1TB SSD, so running the 64bit client on a SSD is not the solution for all of us. I see you mean a SSD external, but god I am not going to fork out the $2-300 for an external SSD to run this on crappy low FPS. Also when you try to download the gameclient from the website I am only given a 64bit solution, how did everyone get a 32bit client???

I feel like a lot of users in this thread, like Anet doesn't care about it's MAC users. How can it still be in BETA after 5 years? I own core game with both expansions, so thats $200 right there and can't even run the game without it crashing every few minutes. bit of a joke really... maybe we got JOKO'ed ???

@Mighty.2853 said:Same problem here - Game freezes with a black screen when switching maps cries

I am using the latest MBPr and it runs on 1TB SSD, so running the 64bit client on a SSD is not the solution for all of us. I see you mean a SSD external, but god I am not going to fork out the $2-300 for an external SSD to run this on crappy low FPS. Also when you try to download the gameclient from the website I am only given a 64bit solution, how did everyone get a 32bit client???

I feel like a lot of users in this thread, like Anet doesn't care about it's MAC users. How can it still be in BETA after 5 years? I own core game with both expansions, so thats $200 right there and can't even run the game without it crashing every few minutes. bit of a joke really... maybe we got JOKO'ed ???

Oh wow Mac users have been in beta for 5 years?! If i had known Areanet priorities are no where near improving our game experience for us Mac users I would not have spent over usd$100 buying expansions! Can I ask for a refund ?! :/

I'm the same game since patch is a mess cannot play storyline black screen cannot even log out> @Justin Time.7054 said:

The monitor goes black when I try to leave the area, both through portals and wp, the game freeze and quit (Command-Q) doesn't work, so I need to restart manually.The issue happens since yesterday, after the download of PoF second part.I don't have an anti-virus so it is not a conflict with that sort of apps.Really don't know what to do.

Have issues now all the time since last weeks updates , feel as if I'm wasting my time even posting this , ant does not seem interested in mac users, cannot move from area to area ,even tried teleport to a friend no use , storyline got to a kindness repaid will not load . Again black screen with title not playable ,even when i try play wow cannot move from an area , also can not switch char , or logout ,have to use command option escape keys .

Archived